Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Exercise
stevebubs

posted on 3/1/14 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Exercise

OK. I'm off to work in Melbourne for a couple of weeks and, while I've not got the distraction of kids etc, I thought is might be a good time to start exercising (something I've not done in nearly 20 years).

Bear in mind I'm 6ft, just over 100kg and have poor (high) blood pressure.

Not really into lifting weights etc but as I'm going to be in a hotel with gym for 14 days, I thought it might be a good time to try and start to fix my body.

The question is I don't really know where to start….or how hard to push myself without putting myself in danger..

emsfactory

posted on 3/1/14 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have been working away quite regularly this past year. I have found it is so easy to undo whatever you do in the gym at the restaurant or bar!
adithorp

posted on 3/1/14 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
...The question is I don't really know where to start….or how hard to push myself without putting myself in danger..

The first place to start is a trip to the doctors.

I'd expect improve your diet and start of with gentle, low impact, cardio exercise to be the advice you'll get; Swimming, cycling or just walking (always a good way to see a new city). Aiming for an effort level that means you can still talk but not in whole sentences. If you can chat away it's not hard enough, if you can only blurt out individual words it's too hard. Won't be long before the walking becomes walk/jog, then jog... run.

I wouldn't start in an unsupervised gym if you've not done it before. You really need help and advice from an instructor to get the most from your time and not do yourself any harm.

It's a simple enough formula; Eat better, do more. Just takes time, motivation and application... and the high BP might fix it's self into the bargain.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

fesycresy

posted on 3/1/14 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Melbourne ? - NSFW

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

posted on 3/1/14 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
You could become a "lycra lout"
craig1410

posted on 3/1/14 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
A visit to the doctor would be a wise precaution but as long as you're sensible and don't go crazy on the gym equipment then you should be fine with some light, low-impact cardio work in the gym. For cardio you want to get your large muscle groups moving so upper legs and torso mainly. You can also work your arms and shoulders and chest/back on the machines using light weights to give your legs a break between exercises but still keep moving.

The gym will have resistance bicycles, rowing machines and various types of step machines. These are all good for light (or heavy) cardio work but make sure you have good technique, especially on the rowing machine to avoid injury. You want to aim for an intensity where you have a bit of sweat on your brow (not running down your face) but could still carry on a conversation with the pretty girl on the next machine...

Something else is to make sure you fast for at least 2 hours before your workout and then eat relatively soon after your workout, ideally something rich in protein. Even more importantly, stay well hydrated throughout.

Oh, almost forgot, try to do a bit of light stretching at the end of your workout when your muscles are still warm. There are loads of stretch techniques but basically just try to gently lengthen the muscles that you have been working out and you can't go far wrong. Take it easy, breathe and if anything hurts then adjust technique or intensity accordingly, or stop.

Above all, enjoy!

JoelP

posted on 3/1/14 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Swim. It's easy on your joints, good all over your body, and you never know, getting good might even save your life one day!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

StevieB

posted on 3/1/14 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
If you have high blood pressure, then lifting weights is not really the thing for you at this stage anyway, as it can create spikes in blood pressure depending on what you're doing.

I'd go with the swimming, as suggested. For a bit of variety, maybe try a go on the cycle and rower too if they're available.

You should be looking to do 20 to 30 minutes per day and get yourself to the point where you're a little out of breath but could still hold a conversation.

The big benefit with exercise doesn't come from the work itself, but during the rest period and how you re-fuel the body. Eat well and if possible have more, smaller meals (ideally every 2/3 hours), lots of water and plenty of sleep.

The biggest thing about starting exercise is not to be too ambitious and start something that you can't keep up - it's a massive routine change if you intend to keep things going when you get back to normal life, so keep the amount of change (and challenge) small and one step at a time.

This time next year, you'll be training for a triathlon...

stevebubs

posted on 3/1/14 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emsfactory
I have been working away quite regularly this past year. I have found it is so easy to undo whatever you do in the gym at the restaurant or bar!

I was there for 8 days just before Christmas - managed to put on 2lb in that time...mainly due to the diet of red meat and beer...

stevebubs

posted on 3/1/14 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Swim. It's easy on your joints, good all over your body, and you never know, getting good might even save your life one day!

Currently don't know how to swim (never learnt)...don't think I'll be there long enough to learn (although might look into it)

stevebubs

posted on 3/1/14 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Adithorp, Craig, StevieB,

Many thanks for the advice - looks like cycling / running will be the order of the day...that's something I can keep up when I get home...

Stephen

PS When I get back, it'll be a matter of weeks before baby #3 arrives...

[Edited on 3/1/14 by stevebubs]

scimjim

posted on 3/1/14 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
the world's a gym

in conjunction with menu - use the stairs instead of the elevator, walk to the shops or wherever you're going, swim lots (okay if you know how), jog, etc.

I still inline skate (at 47) - it's great out of season training for skiing

02GF74

posted on 4/1/14 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
... or a walk around the block .... and repeat.

Jogging cycling in gym i find tedious.

For each day you are ther write down you training plan x mins
On rower.bike.treadmill and inctease it by a minute each day. Allow a day
Every three days take a rest day.

Important to get routine going and when you are back in uk keep at it.

Exercising need not be difficult. It is the getting round to doing it thats hard.

cliftyhanger

posted on 4/1/14 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
When I had my Damascus moment a few years ago, I just did the gym for about 3 months.
I found the cycling, cross trainer and arc trainer to be great and low impact, with a variety of programmes to sort of keep it entertaining.
I also did some lightish weights but plenty of reps. Not too strenuous on the body.
Initially I found running horrible, but once fit enough to do it I haven't looked back. Now in training for my second marathon. But weight needs to go if running, it can be hard on the joints. Plus correct shoes are important.
I think I am saying try the low impact cardio machines, maybe 10 mins on each of 3 or 4 plus try some sit ups, stretches and so on. Actually important after a workout, I remember having trouble walking after getting to work having been to the gym then 15 mins in a car.

David Jenkins

posted on 4/1/14 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
A word of caution - Melbourne is the fat capital of Australia. It's a generalisation, but they seem to be following the stereotypical American pattern of obesity.

In contrast, Sydney is like San Francisco - you get run over by joggers during the lunch break!

[Edited on 4/1/14 by David Jenkins]

stevebubs

posted on 4/1/14 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys - only advice I got from the doc was to try and do 30 mins/day..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.