Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: seized brakes
jos

posted on 12/1/14 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
seized brakes

Ive got a donor vehicle with seized brakes which I need to move pronto. If I was to apply 3 in 1 or wd40 to free up the seized brakes and get it rolling would the residue burn off after a decent application of the brakes . Ive heard of some people incorrectly put copperslip on the face of pads during replacement and ideally wouldnt use any products to free them up but cant think of a way to get it rolling.

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

Slimy38

posted on 12/1/14 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't it soak into the pad material and render them permanently useless?

I would be tempted to try and back off the calipers with some 'encouragement'.

jos

posted on 12/1/14 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thats exactly what I was concerned about. The other thing was how eager the encouragement needs to be. Taking a flat headed screwdriver & persuader to the pads/discs may render them useless too. I was rather hoping that the oil/WD40 would get burnt off during the next "stop". I'm hoping it just depends on how long its applied before driving and burning it off (if at all)

Slimy38

posted on 12/1/14 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
I tend to go for a g clamp suitably arranged to press against a part of the caliper and the back of a pad (assuming sliding calipers), at least that way the friction surfaces are preserved.
big_wasa

posted on 12/1/14 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Yep I would take the callipers of and push them back.
jos

posted on 12/1/14 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Now thats an idea. Take the wheel off and then retract the pad from the disc face using a g clamp, hmmmmmm. A bit like a pad retractor which I obviously cant use because theyre stuck to the disc.

Slimy38

posted on 12/1/14 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jos
Now thats an idea. Take the wheel off and then retract the pad from the disc face using a g clamp, hmmmmmm. A bit like a pad retractor which I obviously cant use because theyre stuck to the disc.

You might be able to use a bit more persuasion to get the caliper away though, the leverage will be between the caliper and the disc edge which isn't as critical.

Depending on the car you might also find when you remove the caliper bolts you can easily remove the caliper while leaving the pads stuck on the disc.

mark chandler

posted on 12/1/14 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Just stick a rope on it and drag, they will free up soon enough, if drums then donk with a hammer first

If they refuse to move you know to budget for new bits.

unijacko67

posted on 12/1/14 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
It sometimes helps to free a sticking caliper by lifting the dust seal and dropping a bit of brake fluid onto the outer part of the piston, but inside the dust seal. Just helps lube the dry side of the piston before pushing it back in with a lever or clamp.

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.