Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 10" Tablet
coozer

posted on 18/1/14 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
10" Tablet

So, after having a look round I want a 10" tablet..

Narrowed the search down to a Asus ME302C MeMO Pad FHD 10

This website looks the cheapest..

http://tabletsonly.co.uk/extra.aspx?me=tabletsonly&pn=ME302C-1B019A

What do you think?

Is the website OK, anyone bought off them?

[Edited on 18/1/14 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

JC

posted on 18/1/14 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
iPad mini all day long for me
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sdh2903

posted on 18/1/14 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Or a full sized ipad 2 or 3 from the apple refurb shop. I've not yet played with an android tablet yet that just 'works' as well as an ipad, and I'm a huge android fan.
Irony

posted on 18/1/14 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
After being a hardcore apple user for 15 years I just won't touch their iOS devices. To many restrictions on what you can and cannot do. If your a everyday user then iOS is fine, if your a power user the I phones/iPads are almost impossible without jailbraking them.

Asus make good tablets, I have a nexus 7. Have you tried looking at the nexus 10? They are getting a bit long in the tooth now but there might be some good deals about.

[Edited on 18/1/14 by Irony]

loggyboy

posted on 18/1/14 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Galaxy tab 2 or 3, very pleased with my 10.1 tab 2 for last year.

Mistral Motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 18/1/14 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-3-10-1-tablet-intel-atom-android-10-1-wi-fi-16gb/p583919?kpid=232274342&s_kenid=2a3f000c-ce55-3f48-2b8 4-00006e75e0f1&s_kwcid=ppc_pla&tmad=c&tmcampid=73

Mistral Motorsport

coozer

posted on 18/1/14 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps, however I am no way going for any Apple things and I also ruled out the Samsung tablets..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

big-vee-twin

posted on 18/1/14 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Asus make the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 for Google and both are very good I have the 7 and its great.

This is their own version which I would imagine are just as good.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Dopdog

posted on 18/1/14 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Sony xperia all day long
britishtrident

posted on 18/1/14 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Asus make Nexus. but Nexus will slways be first choice.
Don't forget the Kindle Fire HD and HDX
Much as I like Samsung phones I don't rate the Samsung Tablets.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

sdh2903

posted on 18/1/14 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Asus make Nexus. but Nexus will slways be first choice.
Don't forget the Kindle Fire HD and HDX
Much as I like Samsung phones I don't rate the Samsung Tablets.

No no no!!! The kindle tablets are pants, they are cheap for a reason.

sdh2903

posted on 18/1/14 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Just to say aswell there's a new 10" mk2 version of the nexus due any day. Might be worth holding on to see what spec/price it has.
splitrivet

posted on 19/1/14 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
Kindle tablets have your balls locked to amazon just like apple products to itunes.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

craig1410

posted on 19/1/14 at 02:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
After being a hardcore apple user for 15 years I just won't touch their iOS devices. To many restrictions on what you can and cannot do. If your a everyday user then iOS is fine, if your a power user the I phones/iPads are almost impossible without jailbraking them.

What a load of bollocks, I'm a "power user" (software consultant) and iOS is perfectly fine without jail breaking and at least you don't have all your personal data stolen and exploited as you have with a lot of Android apps.

What is a "power user" these day anyway? lol

C.

craig1410

posted on 19/1/14 at 02:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Thanks chaps, however I am no way going for any Apple things and I also ruled out the Samsung tablets..

Ah, closed mine you are (in a Yoda voice) Good luck with the dark side (Android)

Ask yourself this question. Do you want to buy a great product (Apple) or have your personal data sold (Google)?

BenB

posted on 19/1/14 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
I couldn't say no to a Nook hd plus. Crazy cheap! brilliant screen and full access to google play so not really the walled garden it was. At some point I was planning on installing cyano but haven't found the need. Only annoyance was google play decided flash was not compatible so did not offer it so I had to sideload it.
MikeRJ

posted on 19/1/14 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
quote:

Ah, closed mine you are (in a Yoda voice) Good luck with the dark side (Android)

Ask yourself this question. Do you want to buy a great product (Apple) or have your personal data sold (Google)?

That sounds more like a closed mind than anything to be honest. I've recently tried IOS7 on an iPAD 4 and it feels very slow and laggy compared to my cheap Samsung Tab.

Ask yourself this question: do you want to have powerful hardware at low cost, a fast smooth and open operating system and a massive choice of applications, or do you want to buy an Apple device?

scudderfish

posted on 19/1/14 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

What a load of bollocks, I'm a "power user" (software consultant) and iOS is perfectly fine without jail breaking and at least you don't have all your personal data stolen and exploited as you have with a lot of Android apps.

C.

I'm a "power user" (software developer) and as far as I'm aware iOS devices are shiny toys compared to Android. Can iOS devices now do serial comms over Bluetooth to talk to Megasquirt yet? Have Prolific or FTDI released drivers for them so you can use common USB-Serial adapters to talk to Megasquirt? Are there any development environments that run on the device and produced compiled code? I wrote chunks of MSLogger directly on my Asus Transformer TF300T (detachable keyboard that charges the tablet in use is very handy) but as far as I'm aware that wouldn't be possible on an ipad, and I'd have to buy an extra keyboard as well.

Regards,
Dave

v8kid

posted on 19/1/14 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Or possibly be regarded as a little bit neurotic? Is there something criminal going on with with Google?

Apart from bank details surely we shouldn't be frightened of sharing anything we do.

Rather than being a "make" hater or lover it seems a better idea to use tools that are appropriate to our needs.

All in good fun.

Cheers

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 19/1/14 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Oh - it must be weeks since we last had an Apple/Android war!

I think iPads are very good, and easy to use - but I'm not prepared to pay the price premium for them. There are also some apps that I use which are only available on Android so that effectively made my mind up for me. These include set-up apps for radio-controlled aircraft flight control boards - the developers have said that their not going to write iOS versions as the approval process is too slow, complex and expensive. I don't know if that's true, but they're certainly not going near it.

I have an original Nexus 7 that I bought direct from the Google store, as I did for my Nexus 4 phone. The tablet was bought to run those special apps, with not much intention of using it for anything else. I now use it a lot for all sorts of things...

There are plenty of downsides to Android, such as the many junk apps in the store and the higher risk of malicious apps, but it's still my OS of choice.

Scuzzle

posted on 19/1/14 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not a huge Apple fan, I find their products very much 'our way or no way' and while they work great if you are prepared to buy all their products and use all their software I resent being tied to this. Plus I also resent why Apple just can't make their phones and tablets right to begin with, just add flash and make the memory expandable - it's not difficult, but they know the same mugs will line up to pay top dollar to buy the latest generation of their Iphone or Ipad even though they are still that bit lacking.

If you want a good tablet don't rule out out the cheap Chinese ones, they are all made there anyway, even the Ipads. Check out the specs and reviews on a Pipo M9 Pro 3G, it has everything you could ever want in a tablet for a reasonable price.

Smoking Frog

posted on 19/1/14 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
I got Mrs SF a android tablet for xmass. Not knowing much about them I had to research a bit. The latest specification for android tabs seems to be :- Retina screen, 1.8Ghz quad core CPU, 16GB memory (minimum) using that I created a short list of the different makes and models. Watched uTube reviews where they are often compared to the iPad. Once the make and model is known it's just a matter of getting the best deal. The point is once you move away from the big named tablets there are better spec tablets out there far cheaper than the one you suggest. The cheap slates (new word for me) are not as good as a iPad yet, but not that far behind either.
Proby

posted on 19/1/14 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Oh - it must be weeks since we last had an Apple/Android war!

I think iPads are very good, and easy to use - but I'm not prepared to pay the price premium for them. There are also some apps that I use which are only available on Android so that effectively made my mind up for me. These include set-up apps for radio-controlled aircraft flight control boards - the developers have said that their not going to write iOS versions as the approval process is too slow, complex and expensive. I don't know if that's true, but they're certainly not going near it.

I have an original Nexus 7 that I bought direct from the Google store, as I did for my Nexus 4 phone. The tablet was bought to run those special apps, with not much intention of using it for anything else. I now use it a lot for all sorts of things...

There are plenty of downsides to Android, such as the many junk apps in the store and the higher risk of malicious apps, but it's still my OS of choice.

Where is the LIKE button? HaHa

Visit GraphicMonster

craig1410

posted on 19/1/14 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
quote:

That sounds more like a closed mind than anything to be honest. I've recently tried IOS7 on an iPAD 4 and it feels very slow and laggy compared to my cheap Samsung Tab.

Ask yourself this question: do you want to have powerful hardware at low cost, a fast smooth and open operating system and a massive choice of applications, or do you want to buy an Apple device?

It was meant partly in jest but also referring to the modus operandi of the respective companies. Apple state at every opportunity that they believe in making "great products" whereas Google's business is to collect as much information they can about individuals to sell to the highest bidder for advertising purposes. Pretty much everything that Google do is geared towards selling more ads whether that be scanning your gmail for keywords or tracking your location via your phone or looking at what you search for on the web. It's all fed in to the advertising engine. I'm not being a scaremonger, this is what they do, plain and simple. Some people are happy with using free products in return for personal data, I'd rather pay for the products and keep my data to myself.

You say you tried iOS 7 on an iPad 4 and it was laggy. I was running it on an iPad 3 before I got my iPad Air and it wasn't great to be fair but the iPad 3 was a bit ahead of its time with the retina display and didn't really have the GPU/CPU power to cope properly. That said, it was perfectly usable and since the iPad 4 is twice as fast it should work well on it. The iPad Air is twice as fast again and it is as smooth as butter. I wonder if your perception of lag was due to the animations which can be turned off if you prefer. Anyway, glad you like your samsung.

craig1410

posted on 19/1/14 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
quote:
quote:

C.

I'm a "power user" (software developer) and as far as I'm aware iOS devices are shiny toys compared to Android. Can iOS devices now do serial comms over Bluetooth to talk to Megasquirt yet? Have Prolific or FTDI released drivers for them so you can use common USB-Serial adapters to talk to Megasquirt? Are there any development environments that run on the device and produced compiled code? I wrote chunks of MSLogger directly on my Asus Transformer TF300T (detachable keyboard that charges the tablet in use is very handy) but as far as I'm aware that wouldn't be possible on an ipad, and I'd have to buy an extra keyboard as well.

Regards,
Dave

I've never looked before and serial comms to megasquirt is hardly Apple's core customer, but a cursory search on the web revealed that iPad's can indeed communicate via serial interfaces. Here's the first link I found ( http://www.get-console.com ). In a more general sense, I use several iOS applications to talk to my car's OBD computer via bluetooth or WiFi and these work very well indeed. I have no wish to go back to serial comms when there are much better options available today.

Development environments which produce "compiled code" - hmm, well given that an awful lot of code these days (probably the majority in fact) is not "compiled" per se, I'd say this was an edge case. I do most of my development these days using Ruby, Ruby on Rails, Javascript, Coffescript, HTML5 and CSS3 and I use the iPad actively as a test device, or to connect to remote servers and edit code or to run automated test suites live while I'm developing on my Macbook Pro. Tools like Coda and Diet Coda can be used very effectively to carry out web development using nothing but the iPad. In fact I did this on a long flight recently where I wrote a whole website while offline. I then just clicked the upload button when I landed and it was all pushed to the web server via FTP. I think you'd be surprised just how much real work you can get done with one of these "shiny toys"

I use an Apple bluetooth keyboard with my iPad Air when I'm doing a lot of work on it, but it is by no means essential. However, when you are being paid by the day as a professional developer, it makes sense to pay a few extra quid to maximise your productivity.

Anyway, I didn't mean to start another Apple/Android war.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.