Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: White van man?
MikeCapon

posted on 2/2/14 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
White van man?

I need to buy a van for my business but am not at all up to speed on what's reliable, OK to drive, economical etc...

It needs to be Transit ish (proper Transit not those tiny Connect things) size.

It needs to be able to tow from time to time without needing to thrash it to death.

Oh and it does not need to be white..

Budget of £10K ish..

So what to buy and what to avoid?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

www.shock-factory.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 2/2/14 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
There are going to be fans of every make however,

We need a van for aour buiness, had problems with VW transporters, (expensive problems) problems with vivaro's (even more expensive) bought a high top (2 year old) x coca cola transit 3 years ago total spend to date, tyres and brake pads, never missed a beat, next one will be same again. Great on fuel too.

trikerneil

posted on 2/2/14 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'm currently looking for a Toyota Hiace (<£2.5k though) they look to be pretty good according to my research.

HTH

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 2/2/14 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'd get a Vivaro/Trafic as they drive brilliantly, are very comfortable, economical and tow excellently (took toy car from Paddock Wood to Emerald in Norfolk and you'd have not known the trailer was attached.

If I hadn't of been able to find a newer Espace, I'd have got a lwb Vivaro Crewcab

ATB

Simon

doobrychat

posted on 2/2/14 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
i have a Vivaro and use it everyday as my car.. looked at the new transit and due to pump failures and other problems i'm pleased i got what i have... shame to see that someone has had bad issues with a T5 as that was the only other i was going to get...

the 2.0 trafic/ vivaro have injector issues like not being able to get them out.. so if you do go for one check that it has been done in the history..

renetom

posted on 2/2/14 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I would recommend diesel transit
Bought ours new in 2001 never a hicup until last year
when the diesel pump went.has 74,000 miles on it now
& still pulls like a train , its a 280 swb td 100si
selling it now as we no longer have the business, only kept it to tow the trailer with our kit car , it tows great.
For that budget you should get a good low mileage one.
Good luck.
René

[Edited on 2/2/14 by renetom]

Jon Ison

posted on 2/2/14 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Google vivaro gearbox.
doobrychat

posted on 2/2/14 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
google transit problem over vivaro problem... I wouldn't change my van for anything.. My MK would go before my van
JoelP

posted on 2/2/14 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
I've broken one vivaro gearbox, but the replacement has taken a whole load of abuse no problem. And they are nice to drive and tow with. However if the fan belt snaps it takes out the timing belt, which seems a poor design.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Jon Ison

posted on 2/2/14 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by doobrychat
google transit problem over vivaro problem... I wouldn't change my van for anything.. My MK would go before my van

Your Vivaro gearbox will let go before your MK that's for sure............... <- smiley.

bigrich

posted on 2/2/14 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
If I was spending my own cash it would be a transit without question. Yes it has issues but for a van thats easy to work on comfortable economical and drives well it takes some beating. If you want a vacuum cleaner its a" Hoover". You want a van its a"transit"

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

benchmark51

posted on 2/2/14 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
I use a Nissan NV200 and it's been brilliant. Never towed with it, so don't
know about that side of things. It will take 2 euro pallets in the back, sliding
load doors both sides, removable cab to load bulkhead. Options include
combo version, full seating version, half and full windows. They have even
made and tested a full electric version. Very tight turning circle and apparently
conforms to taxi requirments. Air con, satnav, bluetooth all available too.
Worth a look.

doobrychat

posted on 2/2/14 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
i bought my van cheap and did the work and a few upgrades... i can assure you my Mk will go long long before my van gearbox does... hehe
Dualist

posted on 2/2/14 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
I brought a 52 plate transit about 5 years ago 'cos I was warned off getting one with the common rail type injection system and I'm glad I did. 180k now and it's never missed a beat and parts are so bloody cheap, I would have no problem in buying another one.

Rotary build coming soon...

quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
I recently discovered that pigs can p i s s sideways when being transported

Simon

posted on 5/2/14 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
quote:
Originally posted by doobrychat

Your Vivaro gearbox will let go before your MK that's for sure............... <- smiley.

Pre 2006 Vivaro boxes had issues. £10 grand will get you as near as damit a new one, with 4 years warranty etc.

Your transit will probably either be made in turkey or have been used by the "Got any scrap metal" brigade or have that stereotype

ATB

Simon

Jon Ison

posted on 5/2/14 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Van snobbery, don't you just love it............................
owelly

posted on 5/2/14 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
My dad was an avid Merc bloke and has always run Merc vans....until the last few years. His Sprinter-sized truck has dissolved (a 2006) and his vans (2002-2006) have all let him down. Engines that render themselves scrap with 'Black Death' and bodywork that rusts just for fun.
All vans have their supporters but for reliability and cheapness for spares when they do go wrong, I'd buy a Transit.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

dhutch

posted on 6/2/14 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone ever run a Peugeot van? parner/boxer/etc?
BangedupTiger

posted on 6/2/14 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Mercedes sprinter

Everything else is dog turd

mcerd1

posted on 6/2/14 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
Anyone ever run a Peugeot van? parner/boxer/etc?

my dad used to run an old citroen dispatch (~Y reg I think) aka a fiat scudo or pug expert - probably a bit small for the OP (and he could probably buy a hundred of them that age for 10k now)
mechanically it was ok, but he found out that the suspension parts were quite a lot more expensive than the transits (I think these are the same bits as the 806 / C8 etc...)
the old 1.9 pug diesels in them at that age are just the same as they were in the cars too - the turbo ones are proper old fashioned tubo, quite quick and reliable but with lots and lots of lag
the non-turbo one like my dads with any load in it was the slowest, most gutless thing I've ever driven - and my car at the time was a 45hp 106

basically the small pug/citroen vans are just like the cars they are related to - and you'll either love that or hate it

can't speak for the big vans though.....

both my dad and my brother run transits now, my brothers newer one had some injector / pump issues - but all got sorted for not too many boor tokens - they'd both still have a transit as the first choice

[Edited on 6/2/2014 by mcerd1]

-

mcerd1

posted on 6/2/14 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BangedupTiger
Mercedes sprinter
got a mate who thinks like that too....

...but he also reckons they are faster off the line than any super car - I guess everyone has there little fantasies

another mate who only calls them "F***ing german bedfords!"

[Edited on 6/2/2014 by mcerd1]

-

Simon

posted on 6/2/14 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BangedupTiger
Mercedes sprinter

Funny that, I was chatting to the bloke who supplies our consumables at work. They bought two new Mercedes vans and both had to go back for rust within TWO weeks. German quality is a myth. Period. Oh yeah a friend thinks they're great and his needed seem welding

ATB

Simon

Heather

posted on 6/2/14 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I am Fleet Administrator of a fleet of 250 vans - 235 SWB Medium roof Transits and 15 Sprinters (which we have had alarming numbers of electrical problems with).
We have recently undergone a review of all vans and have chosen once again the Transit, we find it is a good reliable van and parts when they are needed are readily available, there is not a van in the market place that does not have some inherent problem or other and there are good and bad with them all so it really is ‘you pays your money you takes your choice’.

My experiences would say from the 56 plate model change when the ECU gave huge issues (any van with the problem would have had it resolved) the only year that we seem to have had the most issues was 12 plate.

Ford has easily replaceable and affordable parts and in my experience the van gives good reliable service and will tow your car easily.

We personally have a 3T SWB medium roof transit which we towed the race car with for 4 years and also doubled up as garage and sleeping quarters, my husband uses it for work and it is still used as the shunt vehicle when we want to move the trailer around or are only at circuit for the day, it starts 1st turn of the key every time even when it has stood for a few weeks and has only needed routine maintenance.

My pen'uth

Regards
Heather

Krismc

posted on 6/2/14 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
There are going to be fans of every make however,

We need a van for aour buiness, had problems with VW transporters, (expensive problems) problems with vivaro's (even more expensive) bought a high top (2 year old) x coca cola transit 3 years ago total spend to date, tyres and brake pads, never missed a beat, next one will be same again. Great on fuel too.

here here on the vw......very expensive repairs on our fleet. 5k a year to run/own one for us from new. compared to transit connects at 2-3k

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

tango man

posted on 6/2/14 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
transit for me , all my vans av been tranys ,tryed citreon relay 3.5t never again , they turn to chocolate as soon as you show em any work , not fit for purpose
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.