Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Search Protect by Conduit, how to remove?
Browser

posted on 10/2/14 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Search Protect by Conduit, how to remove?

I downloaded a file converter over the weekend so that No.1 son could convert a WMA to an MP3, but it seems that the above was bundled in with it. I've tried using the Start - Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs but when I select Search Protect from the list and click on CHange/Remove it freezes at that step and won't go on.
I've just downloaded Spybot and am running a scan, but has anyone else experienced this and if so, how did you get rid of it?
My PC is running WIndows XP (SP2 I think) and I use Mozilla FIrefox as my search engine.

iank

posted on 10/2/14 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Used Malwarebytes free edition to get rid of this junk off my son's Window's 7 PC last night. It resists being removed by hand.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

britishtrident

posted on 10/2/14 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a malicious Browser Helper Object, MalwareBytes is good but you could also try downloading HighJackThis which will go through the windows registry and show all the changes to your windows installation and lets you undo the changes.

Like all anti-malware programs it will work best if windows is run in safe mode otherwise it will complain about not being able to access the Host file ----- which I don't think will matter much in your case.

Of course you can always roll windows back to its previous condition.

Windows "free" software and shareware is a swamp full of nasties and what is really just disguised payware, one of the reason I am firmly in the Linux camp.
A lot of the unwanted BHOs are not in the software installation file but will install if you click on a big Download Now ! icon that appears when the file you want is already down loading.

[Edited on 10/2/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Browser

posted on 10/2/14 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies gents, I'll have to download Malwarebytes and give it a try.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.