Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Machine Mart and Clark tools
locogeoff

posted on 5/11/04 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Machine Mart and Clark tools

Hello

Whats the gen on Machine Mart/Clark tools?

I recently bought a nibbler attachment for a drill, after about half an hours use the die broke which is replaceable at a cost, but the nibbler was supplied with two puches so I'd expect them to fail/wear with a much greater frequency.

Also bought a hole puch/joggler wich I was using to puch holes in my 16swg floor, as I'm plug welding it. I'm approximately 2/3 of the way around the floor perimeter and the tool is fooked, it has litterally fallen appart in my hands. I can reassemble it but thats not really the point. Am I expecting too much of my purchases or are they poor quality

The reason I enquire is I was thinking of buying a compressor from machine mart but dont really want to spend a lot of money on something that is poor quality, especially thinking of the safety issue with air receivers etc. Anyone had good or bad experiences with their small engine cranes as well.

cheers

Geoff

David Jenkins

posted on 5/11/04 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
I found the best way was to go to a Machine Mart shop and have a good look at whatever I'm buying. It's very much a case of 'you get what you pay for'.
Most of the stuff is from China, Taiwan, Korea and so on. Some is OK, some is OK after adjustment, and other stuff is cr*p. Very little of the stuff is 'industrial grade', i.e. I wouldn't use it to make a living, but fine for hobbyists.
I have assorted MM/Clark stuff, including an engine hoist, and it's been OK apart from stupid details. For example, the hoist is robust and the important bits are well made and finished OK, but the handle used to haul it round the floor has bent, simply because the metal plate it's welded to is too thin. That's annoying!
If you want super-reliable industrial grade stuff then I recommend that you go for European or American kit - but it'll cost you.
MM aren't necessarily the cheapest, either. I've found a few reputable websites that sell UK-branded kit for little more than MM prices.
For example, World of Power sell a good range of air tools and compressors at comparable prices.

rgds,

David

[Edited on 5/11/04 by David Jenkins]

Peteff

posted on 5/11/04 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Hole punch.

I tried one at a show and was very impressed with it. It was a car builder solutions tool and had different sized dies for other applications. I used it on some aluminium and steel sheet and it gave a burr free hole in both. I'll get one when I come to doing my bodywork this time as I won't need to deburr the backs of the sheet like after drilling.
http://www.nfauto.co.uk/punch_kit.htm

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Hugh Paterson

posted on 5/11/04 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Most of the Clark stuff aint up to it, if I could be so bold have a look at the Sealy tools catalogue not top of the range but buy quite a lot of their stuff for commercial use and its not failed yet and it gets some abuse.
Shug.

Mark Allanson

posted on 5/11/04 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Also bought a hole puch/joggler wich I was using to puch holes in my 16swg floor, as I'm plug welding it. I'm approximately 2/3 of the way around the floor perimeter and the tool is fooked, it has litterally fallen appart in my hands. I can reassemble it but thats not really the point. Am I expecting too much of my purchases or are they poor quality

Times may have changed, but I bought a joddler/punch from them in 1994 (£29.95, it has been used almost daily, and is as good as the day I bought it - perhaps a different supplier?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

JoelP

posted on 5/11/04 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
ive had crane, compressor, welder and plasma cutter from MM, no failures yet but only light use.

i do find that i suffer failures with the cheap tools i use at work, ie drills breaking etc. But ive just bought a new SDS drill for £40 and it is awesome as a chisel. so sometimes cheap tools are crap, sometimes they are good. I think you have to be more careful with the cheap tools. for instance, i wont be using this drill with a 4" wall borer again...

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

indykid

posted on 6/11/04 at 02:46 AM Reply With Quote
my 1 tonne engine crane and air riveter are fine. the welder has taken some good stick as has most other stuff. the compressor has a haesitant re charge, but what can you expect from something thats about seven years old and has seen regular use?

don't dismiss machine mart, they have some good stuff. stay away from their brake pipe flaring kit though, it's pure shi*e, no doubt, get a cam type one, perfect every time.

tom

midlifecrisis

posted on 6/11/04 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
I also had a brake pipe flaring tool from them -broke on first use ,'phoned them ,they sent replacement part within reasonable time . Have never had faith in it to use it again . ROD
JoelP

posted on 7/11/04 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
i did my entire car with the brake pipe kit with no problems. never used it since though...!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

splitrivet

posted on 7/11/04 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thier brake flair kit is Ok for copper but owt else I agree its a bag of shite.
As for the rest of thier stuff I think you pays yer money.

My brother in law used to be the manager of the local branch and he said thier stuff was fine till they started sourcing more stuff from China and pretty low grade Chinese gear at that.

I think finding high quality tools nowadays aint easy from any supplier,but there again look at how cheap stuff is, 25 years ago you couldnt even think of buying an aircompressor now a visit to B&Q with less than £100 or even Aldi with £50 gets you fixed up.

Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 7/11/04 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

midlifecrisis

posted on 9/11/04 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah ,you're right . My Father , passed tools on to me that were HIS fathers ,wood chisels etc . Tools were MADE in those days ! Stuff is so cheap nowadays . But not ,I hasten to add, for some of us who are on a tight budget . Stuff should be 'fit for purpose' ,but what should we expect for a few quid? ROD
Noodle

posted on 9/11/04 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
Thier brake flair kit is Ok for copper but owt else I agree its a bag of shite.
As for the rest of thier stuff I think you pays yer money.

My brother in law used to be the manager of the local branch and he said thier stuff was fine till they started sourcing more stuff from China and pretty low grade Chinese gear at that.

I think finding high quality tools nowadays aint easy from any supplier,but there again look at how cheap stuff is, 25 years ago you couldnt even think of buying an aircompressor now a visit to B&Q with less than £100 or even Aldi with £50 gets you fixed up.

Cheers,
Bob

The amusing stuff about Aldi, is that most of their gear is European (Austrian) built.

Quite how they do their prices without implementing tax avoidance or nefarious schemes is beyond me.

Bless 'em.

Neil.

Your sort make me sick

Peteff

posted on 9/11/04 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
Aldi powercraft

This is good stuff. The only thing that's failed on me is a soldering iron and they swapped it without question, everything else is still going strong.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

locogeoff

posted on 11/11/04 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
Well!

I took the nibbler back and explained what had happened and got a replacement puch and die set, didn't mention the hole punch as I'd slipped off the rubber handles and fitted two lengths of 3/4 pipe, thought I might be on a hiding to nothing on that one, however I was just making life easier for my hands (being a Dupuytren's contracture sufferer) and not forcing the tool to do something it wasn't able to do.

So in the end I'm fairly happy in that the broken tool was replaced and the joggler/punch can still be used, just needs a bit of fettling once I've got some time to affect a permanent solution to the problem of the legs working loose from the body of the tool, first try will be bearing fit, after that its a drill and pin job.

cheers for the opinions

splitrivet

posted on 11/11/04 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
[

The amusing stuff about Aldi, is that most of their gear is European (Austrian) built.

Quite how they do their prices without implementing tax avoidance or nefarious schemes is beyond me.

Bless 'em.

Neil.

Its what gets you into the shop neil call it loss leader if you will.

A friend of mine is an electronic goods importer and supplies a lot of the supermarkets and told me a well known supermarket sells DVD players that he supplies and they make 30 p profit per item. If they sell you a bag of spuds while your in there they make more money on the spuds.

Of course everyone thinks that the particular store is cheap because of the DVD player not the spuds.You remember a cheap DVD not spuds, its kiddology big time.

This is one of they reasons why small retailers aint got a chance.

Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

irvined

posted on 16/11/04 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
I've had mixed results from MM, engine hoist is great, its been used fairly often, on both locost and landrover, its a extra long, 1 tonne one, and is rock solid.
I also have a clark welder which has been ok, but is getting a bit worn out now, but its a budget 90A one so ive got my money's worth.

I also had a drill nibler and i swapped it after i broke the 3rd one, first one snapped the head off, second one snapped the cutter bit and 3rd one jammed, i now have an air one and its been great.

I have an aldi compressor and for fifty quid im laughing, its not got the flow rate to use bigger tools for any length of time but is ideal for hobby use.

Cheers

David

MikeR

posted on 19/11/04 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
and i should point out the Aldi compressor is normally more than 50 quid, its just that someone noticed it had been reduced after a couple of weeks of being in the shop and bought one..... then had to go back and buy someone else one
trextr7monkey

posted on 20/11/04 at 02:46 AM Reply With Quote
Clarke metal work lathes

We bought 2 of the small lathes to train pupils before venturing onto the man size machinery at a VAT free event.
One machine has been perfect, the other suffered from persistently blowing fuses- I enquired as to possible reasons for this from one of the shops operatives. He told me thast they didn't stock the fuses! and worse "have you been turning brass by any chance?"
Brass is our material of choice and hethen suggested putting a bead of silicone around the case where the shaft goes back into the gear box!! Whatever happened to British engineering?
We traced the fault back to a crappy fuse holde, with a crack in it, which costs about 35p from Rapid electronics. I haven't been back to see how much it costs at MM
Having bought quite a lot of Chinese equipment recently - Draper ex demo stuff, we have found the quality very variable especially heavy castings which seem soft. Most of out cash is spent with Gand M tools in Carlisle [ they have a website but I havent got the link here] who do some fantastic deals and stock Silverline and other well known makes at much less than prices seen elsewhere.

tks

posted on 18/1/05 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
does any one know

if axminister also sells the brake pipe flaring tool ??? i need from them the sierra hub tool..

Regards..

TKS

NS Dev

posted on 18/1/05 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
I have quite a bit of Clarke/MM stuff, not by choice but cos it's cheap.

I got an air punch/joggler, and it's great. By and large I find that Clarke air stuff is ok.

Hand tools I usually buy from industrial suppliers and get good stuff like Facom/Britool etc, as I am fed up with breaking cheap hand tools, I'd rather buy once expensively than drive out 3 times to buy cheap stuff.

On the subject of ALDI: the business principle that they make all of their profit on is credit terms, we did this one at college as a little "case in point"!!

They buy a months stock on credit terms (either 30 or 60 days, can't remember) and then sell to the public, on cash terms, at the cost price. Their profit is the interest paid by the banks on the cash paid by the public, against the goods which are unpaid until the end of the credit period.

David Jenkins

posted on 18/1/05 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
I've spent many years working in quality assurance (no, don't laugh...), and the business of the brake flare tools ought to be put in a QA textbook somewhere.
In ANY situation where some people find that a tool is the best thing they've every bought, while others have them fall apart the first time they use them, it's a 100% certainty that quality control doesn't exist. Every part of a complex tool has tolerances, but in many of these Chinese tools the tolerances are wide - almost anything goes. Sometimes, by luck, all the parts are pretty much the right size, go together properly, and will give some lucky user a lifetime's good service. Then there's the others - when a tool is put together using parts that are way out of tolerance then it will never work properly, no matter what the user does to it. The ones made from a mix of good and bad parts will just annoy the user in some way or other, eventually.

David

NS Dev

posted on 18/1/05 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
That's very true indeed. I think the difference between the joggler/punches was that the one first mentioned was a manual one I think, and I have to say these looked a bit "cheap and nasty" and as the air one was only a few quid more I went for that!

As for the brake pipe flarers, get a lever one if you will do more than one car, or borrow one if not. All the other ones are crap basically. I have a Snap-On screw type one and it is crap, the spigot on the 3/16" die broke on the second flare!

I have a tool sold by automec now, which I picked up at a show, with tarnished anodising, for £50, normally in the demon tweeks catalogue at about £80.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.