Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Audi Q5 buying advice
Andybarbet

posted on 12/4/14 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Audi Q5 buying advice

My inlaws have been to look at an Audi A5 quattro diesel on a 60 plate with 30k on the clock.

They haven't told me what engine size but they said it is an automatic.

They have asked me to do some research, does anyone know of any major problems or things to look out for ?

They love it but wanted a bit more info before they commit.

I have no idea how much it is at the moment so some sort of guide price would help too, its a local independent car dealer & they wont be part exchanging anything.

If only I had the cash to buy something like this !

Cheers - Andy

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

nero1701

posted on 12/4/14 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
they tend to veer left very heavily when passing petrol stations
chrism

posted on 12/4/14 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
A5 or Q5?

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

Andybarbet

posted on 12/4/14 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Yep yep, its a Q5 as far as I know

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

ko_racer

posted on 12/4/14 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've recently got one. A 2.0 tdi with dsg automatic

We had a 3k repair within days of getting it fortunately it was sorted under warranty. The dsg gearbox came up with earnings and wouldn't go in reverse. I would recommend not buying a dsg unless you have warranty. Check it pulls away smoothly in all forward gears. Down changes are smooth and it reverses up a reasonably sleep slope without excessive revs.

Other than the issue we had, it's not great on fuel. Probably averages 30mpg unless you drive ultra carefully. They do have a slight hesitation at junctions when pulling away especially if it stays in second. The fuel filler lock can play up and not lock with the rest of the car. Cheap fix for this. Also the visor clips have a tendency to snap as per other audis of the era. The suspension is quite harsh especially with 20" rims and s line suspension.

Note if you wNt to tow and the car doesn't have the standard towbar or the towing prep which only came in around 2010 you need a cooling upgrade as well as the towbar kit. Which consists of an extra fan , cowling and controller and a big price tag.

We do love ours now though.

Just try to get the best spec you can for the money.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 13/4/14 at 06:11 AM Reply With Quote
It will also lunch a set of tyres every 8,000 miles, at a minimum of £1600 a set.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

splitrivet

posted on 13/4/14 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
It will also lunch a set of tyres every 8,000 miles, at a minimum of £1600 a set.

Does the Q5 do that as well as the Q7 Mark.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Ben_Copeland

posted on 13/4/14 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Never heard anything good about the DSG auto box... not really heard much good about audi, period.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Mark Allanson

posted on 13/4/14 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson

Does the Q5 do that as well as the Q7 Mark.
Cheers,
Bob

I don't know, it came out after I left VAG

Sorry, I have just realised what you said, it is the Q7 which eats tyres, the Q5 might do to, but i have no personal experience.

[Edited on 13/4/14 by Mark Allanson]

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

zilspeed

posted on 13/4/14 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
At the risk of cursing it, the DSG in my Passat is on just shy of 145K now and I have had no issues ever with it.

Regarding the tyre bills, that's why I'll never ever have anything like a Q7, no matter how cheap they eventually get.

Andybarbet

posted on 13/4/14 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
All good info so far guys, going for a test drive later so will look at tyre prices & also the towbar issue because the father inlaw definately needs a towbar on it.

Andybarbet

posted on 13/4/14 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
All good info so far guys, going for a test drive later so will look at tyre prices & also the towbar issue because the father inlaw definately needs a towbar on it.

Andybarbet

Andybarbet

ko_racer

posted on 13/4/14 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Easiest way to tell if if has towbar prep (cooling bits) is to look in boot. Open right hand trim cover near the rear quarter and look for a small red connector in foam. This means it has the prep. You can also look for dual cooling fans on the rad.

If you are looking at a 3.0 tdi it will also need a larger capacity alternator if prep isn't already fitted.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hobbsy

posted on 13/4/14 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Wow 20p per mile in tyres! That's more than the fuel would cost for a lot of cars!
britishtrident

posted on 13/4/14 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hobbsy
Wow 20p per mile in tyres! That's more than the fuel would cost for a lot of cars!

Add fuel costs at 25p per mile for mixed driving add dealer servicing & expected replacement parts and it will be nearer 75P per mile.
A random unexpected repair at Audi prices could double that.

And thats before depreciation with those running cost I can see much of a demand for pre-used ones once they have passed their 6th birthday, unlike other VAG car older due to their complexity and parts costs older Audis are regarded as potential money pits by the trade.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.