Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fibreglass seat help!
Ajohnston_10

posted on 16/4/14 at 03:39 AM Reply With Quote
Fibreglass seat help!

Hi all,

Ive just baught a pair of second hand fibreglass bucket seats. They look very nice, however, the back and sholder support part of the seat seems very wobbly and unsupportive. Can anyone suggest the best way to support them and make them much more rigid?

Any help is appriciated!!!

Ally

teegray19

posted on 16/4/14 at 06:11 AM Reply With Quote
My old seats used to be the same, we made a 90deg bracket and mounted it to the top chassis rail. Worked a treat
mcerd1

posted on 16/4/14 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
either add a bracket higher up as teegray19 says

this is also one of the methods offered by JK composites:

[Edited on 16/4/2014 by mcerd1]

-

theprisioner

posted on 16/4/14 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
As long as the brackets are not too strong otherwise you may find a piece of metal in your body from a shunt in the rear. Not sure this approach is FIA/MSA friendly but I understand problem. Extra matting might be safe option possibly?

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

HowardB

posted on 16/4/14 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
I posted a similar question once on the RGB forum, the response was, what ever you do,... don't use grp seats,... use the bag and foam technique. This was based entirely on the safety aspect of what happens to all the grp on impact.

I took the view that grp was more conventional and that the entire body shell was grp so I was less worried. Having said that, my seats are only fixed on the front edge as shown in the picture.

I rely on the seatbelts to keep me in place during an accident,......

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

mcerd1

posted on 16/4/14 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theprisioner
As long as the brackets are not too strong otherwise you may find a piece of metal in your body from a shunt in the rear. Not sure this approach is FIA/MSA friendly but I understand problem. Extra matting might be safe option possibly?

bonding something onto the back of the seats could work, but you'd need to have something with a bit of shape to it to be really effective

most of the double skin seat designs have 'C' shaped sections running up each side, bonded onto the back to effectively make box sections of GRP

-

theprisioner

posted on 16/4/14 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Thought!

Could you temporary blank off back of GRP seat then with plastic bag and foam fill in the void between seat and firewall?

[Edited on 16/4/14 by theprisioner]

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

woodstock

posted on 16/4/14 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
I have had similar advice from RGB members. Foam bag or carbon seats seem to be best if the worst happens. I believe there was an accident in RGB where someone went sideways into the end of a pit wall and the GRP seat broke and the sharp edge injured the driver more than then the impact.

I'm not sure of the exact details but the thought of a shard of GRP being next my body during an impact is a worry and since I only the car on track i'm sticking with foam for now.

That said, if I used the car on the road only I'd be tempted to used GRP as I'd be more worried about the tatty look of foam seats. If I could afford it i'd go for carbon ones though. Maybe someone needs to start making seats out of shatterproof plastic.

The foam in fill seems like a good idea and would provide the best support across the whole of the seat. If you want a bit of flex in the seat generally then i'd bond ribs onto the back of it to limit the movement

Ajohnston_10

posted on 16/4/14 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replys. I was thinking of making some sort of support and bondign it with more fibre glass to make it a part of the seat itself. I want the seats to be on runners so the bracket attatched to the rear bulckhead (although a good idea) is not possible.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.