Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Honda blackbird oil pressure dropping
strikerbird

posted on 21/4/14 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Honda blackbird oil pressure dropping

I did a hillclimb yesterday at loton park in my Honda blackbird engined striker. Just watched a couple of videos from the gopro and I can see on the sharp right hand bends it drops oil pressure
It's already got an acusump that I recharged and checked the day before. The acusump is fitted correctly as I've asked others using the same combination before.
The oil pressure gauge reads anything from 60-80 most of the time but drops to 20-25 on the right handers.
Do you think this is to low? The sumps baffled also. Am I worrying? It's not rattling yet! I can't understand why the acusump isn't keeping the pressure up its only a couple of seconds.

prawnabie

posted on 21/4/14 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Has it already discharged before you get to the corner?
strikerbird

posted on 22/4/14 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
Has it already discharged before you get to the corner?

No it's up to pressure before the corner so the acusump should be fully charged.
The original bike oil pressure light doesn't come on so without the gauge I'd never know.

tilly819

posted on 22/4/14 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Have you removed the 2 counter shafts? If not remove them and block of the oil feeds to them. I had a very similar problem which resulted in a nice big hole in the side of the crank case.

Here is a a useful link.

http://projectblackbird.co.uk/2011/12/06/balancer-shafts/

The big give away tell when mine went was it suddenly felt like it was down on power before it went bang.

hope this is of some help

Tilly

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

twybrow

posted on 22/4/14 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
May Accusump seems to behave in the same way. When I start up and pre-oil, the oil light goes out, but I get no noticeable rise on the oil pressure gauge. Is my pre-charge wrong, is this normal, or is there a problem with my setup? My oil light will still come on very briefly if I really stamp on the brakes (as it comes to a standstill).
strikerbird

posted on 22/4/14 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
May Accusump seems to behave in the same way. When I start up and pre-oil, the oil light goes out, but I get no noticeable rise on the oil pressure gauge. Is my pre-charge wrong, is this normal, or is there a problem with my setup? My oil light will still come on very briefly if I really stamp on the brakes (as it comes to a standstill).

I've just taken the pipe off the engine and turned the electric valve on to find there is very little flow through the valve. Is yours electric?
I'm going to fit a manual valve and find a dry roundabout.

Nick DV

posted on 23/4/14 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow

When I switch A/sump on to pre oil for start up, my pressure guage rises quite quickly

"The force will be with you, always!"

hobbsy

posted on 23/4/14 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
Long time ago but I seem to recall the electric valve is a restriction so the manual one is the one to go for
Jon Ison

posted on 23/4/14 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
That will be the old electric valve known to be slow the newer ones cant remember the name they gave them are fine.

What pre charge pressure you using ? Worth also checking the pressure gauge on the accusump, its the only thing that's ever gone wrong with mine, it leaked and allowed the pre charge to be lost thus making the sump just a piece of pipe which did nothing, worth checking, the symptoms are as you describe above, pretty much just normal oil pressure behaviour on the gauge as if the accusump wasn't there, make sense ?

[Edited on 23/4/14 by Jon Ison]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.