Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chain lenght
Siduna

posted on 22/4/14 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Chain lenght

Hi!

Is there anyone "out there" that can tell me the distance between the outgoing sprocket shaft centre and the rear sprocket centre on Radicals and hopefully similar cars. Any thoughts and experiances are also appreciated!

Cheers

[Edited on 23/4/14 by Siduna]

Writing with a broken pencil is pointless

Siduna

posted on 28/4/14 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siduna
Hi!

Is there anyone "out there" that can tell me the distance between the outgoing sprocket shaft centre and the rear sprocket centre on Radicals and hopefully similar cars. Any thoughts and experiances are also appreciated!

Cheers

[Edited on 23/4/14 by Siduna]

Anyone building/owning a chain driven BEC?

Sam_68

posted on 28/4/14 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Siduna
Is there anyone "out there" that can tell me the distance between the outgoing sprocket shaft centre and the rear sprocket centre on Radicals ...

265mm or thereabouts on the Radical, I believe.

There's no real 'standard' dimension across similar cars, though.

Siduna

posted on 28/4/14 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks!

Highly appreciate your input. I understand that the Stohr cars have somewhat longer distance. Anyone who can confirm? I'm looking at having approx 400mm, hoping that will increase chain life.

Sam_68

posted on 28/4/14 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Dunno about Stohrs; they're not exactly commonplace in the UK. You might try asking on the D Sports Forum

IIRC, the usual recommendation is that centre distances should be between 30 and 50 times the chain pitch? Too short and the frequency of rotation of individual links increases wear; too long and there is too much stretch, which must be compensated by tension, which causes more stretch... vicious circle. Something like that, anyway.

I'm sure if you Google 'drive chain design' or something similar, the manufacturer's websites will have all the relevant equations for calculating optimum lengths, though.

Siduna

posted on 29/4/14 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
Dunno about Stohrs; they're not exactly commonplace in the UK. You might try asking on the D Sports Forum

IIRC, the usual recommendation is that centre distances should be between 30 and 50 times the chain pitch? Too short and the frequency of rotation of individual links increases wear; too long and there is too much stretch, which must be compensated by tension, which causes more stretch... vicious circle. Something like that, anyway.

I'm sure if you Google 'drive chain design' or something similar, the manufacturer's websites will have all the relevant equations for calculating optimum lengths, though.

530 chain has a pitch of 25,4x5/8= 15,875 mm (have an issue with Imperial dimensions). Hence the distance should be 476,25 mm - 793,75 mm. So aiming at 400-450 mm isn't too far of the recommendations then.... Rather have a bit longer wheelbase that having issues with chain wear.

Thanks for you input! Well worth a shoot gun ride once the car is finished

/J

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.