Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mice!
coozer

posted on 29/4/14 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Mice!

So, once again I have the manly duty of being the mouse catcher..

Haven't seen any for a while, couple years ago they ate all my Strawberry's..

Anyway one runs across the kitchen floor last night and within 30 minutes there's one in the little nipper... and another in the trap this morning.

What I'm thinking now is getting one of these electronic reppelers, anyone got/use one? Are they really a be all end all solution?

If that works I just need something in the garden to get rid of the slugs....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

JoelP

posted on 29/4/14 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
If you use a repeller, Darwin theory says you'll end up with a load of deaf mice!

On a more serious note, is suggest blocking all holes and keep catching them relentlessly. Ensure all sources of food and water are unreachable.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Scuzzle

posted on 29/4/14 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
I don't find these electronic repellents work on mice, my car sits in an old barn next to a field and I have terrible bother with mice. I find if I have the car up on the trolley jack for any length of time they must climb up it and get into the car.
So far they seem to like eating the rounded dome parts of the plastic nut covers and the roll cage padding, thankfully they have not gone for any of the wiring that I know of.

I always renew the plastic nut covers as it's a good way to tell if the mice have been at the car. Now there's an owl frequents the barn and it has a habit of ripping mice and birds apart on top of the car as there's very often blood and guts and feathers that need washed off it if left for any length of time.

I also get some in the loft in my house, guy next door ripped up his floorboards a couple of years ago and I got them in droves in my loft afterwards. I was setting three traps at a time with a Rolo pressed in as bait and was getting 3 a night. It calmed down after a couple of weeks and now I get spells of 4 or 5 months with nothing then I will get 2 or 3 in the space of a few nights then nothing for months again. Last week as the weather got warmer I got 3 over 3 nights.

I tried the electronic repellents both in my car and in my loft and they never did a thing to help.

r1_pete

posted on 29/4/14 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
One of these:

mousetrap
mousetrap

When they built on the crop fields at the end of our road many houses without one were struggling with mice as their natural habitat disappeared.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 29/4/14 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for the Rolo on the trap although I used to use Mars Bar...
I tried those electronic things but it used batteries at an alarming rate and the mice loved it!
I renovated an old cottage and dry-lined all of the outside walls. The air gap made a brilliant habitat for mouses. Every now and then the house electrics would trip so it meant pulling socket fronts off and checking for continuity to find out where the little buggers had nibbled through and fried themselves.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Benzine

posted on 29/4/14 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
If that works I just need something in the garden to get rid of the slugs....

I've used beer traps with good results. 4 pack of tesco value bitter, poor 'beer' into a sunken yoghurt pot in the ground. Upturned ice cream/spread tub over the yog pot to stop rain diluting the beer, and a few 'doors' cut in the sides for the slugs to come in through. They love the smell of the beer, slide in and can't get out.

whitestu

posted on 29/4/14 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

They love the smell of the beer, slide in and can't get out.

Sounds familiar!

JohnH

posted on 29/4/14 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Any holes bigger than a Bic pen and a mouse can get in. But don't bloke up air bricks, or you'll get damp. Lots of traps and milk bottles on there side. They get in but can't get back out ( up the slope).
jollygreengiant

posted on 29/4/14 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
When ever I've had occasion to use traps, I've only ever used a small bit of bread. Worked perfectly every time.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

turbodisplay

posted on 29/4/14 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
My cat got a taste for mice livers, woke up one morning to find a head, all the organs, minus the liver in anatomically corect position. Got the picture somewhere .........
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Slimy38

posted on 29/4/14 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
One of these:

mousetrap
mousetrap

Our cat brings the little b**gers in! Apparently it's a natural instinct, but I wish she would just kill them first.

Proby

posted on 29/4/14 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I also get mice in my loft space. They must come through the air brick as once I heard them scurrying in the wall cavity, popped up into the loft space and the cavity wall insulation was spewed out into the loft exactly vertically above where I heard them in the wall. They love Mars bar on a little nipper. Had a couple last minute month up there, but nothing since. I tend to leave 4 traps set up there and check once a month or so.

Visit GraphicMonster

DarrenW

posted on 29/4/14 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
You are lucky compared to my experience in last house. We had rats. I was told if there are rats in the house you are unlikely to have mice. So in a bizarre twist of fete, i guess you don't have rats unless they are causing the mice to flee through your living area.

Dead rotting mice in the walls / ceilings is not nice.

We don't live there anymore........

blakep82

posted on 29/4/14 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Cat for mice, duck for slugs. Natures way

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

DarrenW

posted on 29/4/14 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Judging by the amounts of dead mice seen in Rats nest, you can add rats for mice to that list.
tegwin

posted on 29/4/14 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
I find poison left in all the mousey places works eventually. The decent stuff dehydrates the mice so they go outside to look for water and die en route

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

AndyGT

posted on 30/4/14 at 05:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
One of these:

mousetrap
mousetrap

+1

SLIGHTLY under-fed cat will soon get rid of any unwanted rodents. Just for a few days every 2 or 3 weeks, I give her less biscuits and then I find a few dead mice.

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

renetom

posted on 30/4/14 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Have'nt got any in the house but our cat brings us
a dead one most every day,she's doing her bit.
Our last cat used to bring them in then let them go
then we had to catch them ourselves.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 30/4/14 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Bait, the Rentokill blue seedy looking stuff works well. Usually takes 2-3 days if the mice are confined, longer if they're only passing through the baited space on route.
Previous house owners had blocked the airbrick holes with silicone, I'm still dealing with the damp damage after 2 years.

The urine from these things, particularly when poisoned WILL eat through Suzuki magnesium rocker covers.

They're happy to eat away at all types of pipe insulation, towels, fabrics, foams - but have no interest in the wiring of the house or car. They stripped the acoustic padding out of my Transit van, I'm sure the van is continually occupied by the things.

morcus

posted on 30/4/14 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for getting a cat, preferably a known mouser. In one of our old houses they turned feilds opposite into houses and many people got mice. With 4 cats and a terrior we were fine.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

19sac65

posted on 30/4/14 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
I live in a converted barn with a farm next door
Our upstairs windows are velux,so the guttering is behind the headboard area
You can hear them scurrying along and knawing at the flashing as the cold weather arrives and they feel the heat
Last 2 years they drove us both insane,they are habitual so same time every night
I spoke to a commercial pest controler , he said old fashioned traps with cheese of mars etc
The blue pellets are good because they make them thirsty,they leave the house to drink,water reacts with the pellets and kills them
In large kitchens they use A4 sized sticky paper,thats very good if you can stand seeing them pull their own legs off trying to get off

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.