Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Swollen battery
Matt21

posted on 2/5/14 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Swollen battery

Another problem to add to my growing list....

I noticed the battery is very swollen! looks like its been very hot!

while im away at work for 2 weeks at a time i leave the battery on trickle charge to keep it happy, its an oxford oximiser.
iv only driven the car once since getting home so i dont know if its the charger thats caused it or its happened while i was out the other day

i'm assuming the charger is the most likely culprit, but im sure when i read the manual for it it said that it wont over charge a battery and has a regulator in it etc

anything else i should be checking?

oh its a motorbike battery for a cbr900, atleast it was anyway

[Edited on 2/5/14 by Matt21]

Fatgadget

posted on 2/5/14 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming your battery is a SLA jobbie, being swollen is an indicator of either excessive current draw or over-charging.
ReMan

posted on 2/5/14 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
In my experience, its on its way out simple as that.
If you get 3-4 years your doing well unless its something fancy

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Matt21

posted on 2/5/14 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
it was only 6months old!

just tested the reg/rec and the voltage is sat at 13.8V at 4500rpm, so i guess thats that ruled out

anyway of testing my trickle charger? thats only 3-4months old too

Matt21

posted on 2/5/14 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
the battery is a ctmx9-bs, not sla
daveb666

posted on 2/5/14 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
If it's only 6 months old return it to the shop for a replacement?

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

speedystew

posted on 2/5/14 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
see if it climbs any higher than 13.8 with more revs, if it does its your reg/rec. I have had a battery let go on my old 893 engine due to reg/rec.

it's a few years ago but I think it was about 18 volts at 8k

duratec,it's so last year

Matt21

posted on 2/5/14 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
I can't really return a battery that's broke due to being overcharged can I? The battery isn't at fault :p

I left the car running and tested it again five mins later. 4500rpm give 14.3v, didn't test at higher rpm though. Will do tomorrow if I get the clutch working

britishtrident

posted on 2/5/14 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
It is more likely to caused by buckled plates caused by overloading or the result of an internal explosion.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mark chandler

posted on 2/5/14 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Regulator went on my fireblade and boiled the battery dry in the middle of France

The regulators are not great, replace with one from something else with a big heat sink, the on I run now was off a Ducati and it's placed in direct cold airflow under the radiator.

owelly

posted on 2/5/14 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a battery for my VTR1000 and it shat itself. I fitted it and took the bike for MoT and then left it in the garage for a coiple of weeks before connecting up the Optimiser. I checked a couple of days later and I could smell the battery. It had swollen enough to jam it in the battery box. I managed to get it off the bike and took the tops off. All the plates were sulphated and buckled. The date on the battery suggested it was two years old before I bought it so I took it back to Halfords and they swapped it, no questions asked. The replacement battery was faultless on the bike and optimiser.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Matt21

posted on 3/5/14 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
would any reg/rec fit from another bike?

the one i have is an alloy bodied one with the cooling fins on it, theres also a 12v pc style cooling fan blowing on it too

speedystew

posted on 3/5/14 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
I got an uprated reg rec when mine went, it was a few years ago though, think I got it on ebay it was twice the size of the Honda part.

could be worth a search on ebay, it came with the plug attached and was a direct replacement.

have you had chance to test at 8k ish yet?

Matt21

posted on 3/5/14 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
not yet, currently trying to sort my clutch so have no oil in
speedystew

posted on 3/5/14 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
whats up with clutch?

Matt21

posted on 3/5/14 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
i fitted an EBC street racer carbon jobby, but when i put it all back together the lever on the casing was pretty much in the disengaged position, but the clutch was engaged, and wouldn't move.
i tried fannying about for ages, stuck the original clutch back in and it was the same. the shaft was definately located right.

this morning ive played about more and eventually got it working with a mixture of the old clutch plates and the new springs

only thing that looked different was the plates were stuck out slightly further with the EBC clutch, I measured the stack of plates on each and there was barely 0.5mm difference. tried numerous times incase they werent seated right at the back but it just never worked

hopefully these stiffer springs will stop the slipping.

as for the battery situation....

i just tested at 6000rpm, 15.8v at the battery, i guess thats my reg buggered then? I've ben told it shouldn't go above 14.4v really.

speedystew

posted on 3/5/14 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
I had same problem with my 893, I also had a problem with clutch slip that turned out to be oil related. I had a chat with jack at holeshot racing and he got me some springs made up designed for a turbo busa and told me to change the oil to Castrol gps and put standard Honda clutch back in and I never looked back.

the ebc set up with the so called heavy duty springs did about 5 starts at a sprint at croft and let go.

you can get barrnett springs of the shelf that are also very good.

as for the battery it is your regulator rectifier that's cooked your battery

the charging system is 3 phase ac (that's your 3 yellow wires from generator) the rectifier changes it to 12 v dc and the regulator dissipates excess voltage through heat (that's why they are mounted on the frame on the bike) when the regulator packs up the voltage climbs and sometimes you get 3 phase ac too (think that's what happened to my gel battery and it blew it)

is yours mounted on a metal panel if not it wants to be. you can also get heat sink compound in a tube and put that between the back of the reg/rec and the panel you fasten it to

Matt21

posted on 3/5/14 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
here is the reg/rec i have

and its usually mounted here, to the bottom side of the alu bar, with half a dozen washers in between

is this spot ok? thats how i bought the car so i assume it must have been ok up until now? i think ill mount the cooling fan so its blowing onto the face of it rather than at the end.

as for a new reg.... which ones work? something bigger would be better i guess but i have no clue where to start!
after a bit of research it seems the one I have atm is from a 2000-2001 cbr900, is this an upgrade from the 97/98 one that should be on?
are there any that are even better?

and finally, as for the wiring from it, there are 2 reds and 2 greens, should these both be joined together? my 2 greens are together and go down to earth, 2 reds go off back to the battery via whatever they pass through, correct?

speedystew

posted on 3/5/14 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
that's your problem, how your reg / rec is mounted the pc fan is an old wife's tale to mask a problem, yes you need air flow over it but it gets rid of most of it's heat through what its mounted to, you would be better off with 2 or 3mm thick steel plate the width of your reg / rec and bolt that to your chassis and get rid of the ally bits

as for the wires and just to re cap what size and year engine have you got?

Matt21

posted on 3/5/14 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
i see

its a '97 919, used to have a '99 919 in it originally

another thought, would mounting it down the side of the engine bay, with a duct running too it from near the wishbones and blasting right onto it? aswell as being mounted to the steel plate?

[Edited on 3/5/14 by Matt21]

mark chandler

posted on 3/5/14 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
On the bike it sat on the rear in cold air flow, you have it behind a hot radiator.

Mine sits just behind and below the rad so it gets a cold air feed from the front, if nothing else drop it to the floor of the engine bay as it will be cooler there.

Regards Mark

speedystew

posted on 3/5/14 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
the wiring sounds ok, assuming you also have the 3 yellow wires from the generator

I would concentrate on getting it get rid of the heat through the metal its sitting on more than air flow over it,but if you can get air flow over it that will help too.

Matt21

posted on 4/5/14 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Yes got the three yellows too :p

Thanks for the help.

Will get another 2001/1 one ordered and get it relocated!

speedystew

posted on 5/5/14 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
no probs, just been sorting garage out and found a sticker for the reg/rec and you can still get it

scroll down to model rr58 heavy duty

http://www.bbbikeshop.co.uk/acatalog/Browse___Best___Buy_Honda_Reg_Rec_s_147.html

Matt21

posted on 7/5/14 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
ARGHHHH

just got my new reg/rec today, another 2001 cbr900 one

i plugged it in and tested it, the volts went up to just over 13 at 6k rpm, great!!!

so i unplug it, sort the connections out for the wires and get it bolted in, plug it back in and test again, 16v at 4k rpm!!!

wtf is going on, one minute it worked the next it doesnt?!

also... i tested the continuity between the 3 yellow wires, they all show 0.5ohms, does this mean the stator is goosed?
i have a spare in the garage but that shows 0.4ohms between all three too?

getting ready to scrap this car now as its pissing me off

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.