Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bridge Camera
Hellfire

posted on 2/5/14 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Bridge Camera

Anybody got a bridge camera they're looking to sell? My daughter is thinking about taking up photography and looking for something slightly better than a compact but not a full DSLR just yet........

Phil

twybrow

posted on 2/5/14 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Phil have a look for the G series from Canon (G9,10, qq etc). They are brilliant cameras that allow you to play with all of the settings of a SLR, but will also take fantastic point and shoot type photos on the auto modes. I am not selling, as my wife still uses hers as much as the DSLR she has too...
chrisxr2

posted on 2/5/14 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
not what i was expecting

completely off topic but i was expecting footage of a truck hitting a bridge or something.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Hellfire

posted on 2/5/14 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Probably should have said, my daughter is only 13yrs old. The Canon G9 & G10 have a relatively short zoom in comparison to most bridge cameras, which is probably why the bridge camera appeals to her more. That and also looking like a proper DSLR, which she won't admit yet.......

Phil

Hellfire

posted on 2/5/14 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisxr2
completely off topic but i was expecting footage of a truck hitting a bridge or something.

Sorry to disappoint but here, just for you.....

Phil

chrisxr2

posted on 2/5/14 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Holy cow

Holy cow.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

SteveWalker

posted on 2/5/14 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Almost all the vehicles that hit that bridge were only just too tall and it looks like it is just that bit lower than is normal. You can't easily raise a railway, but they could surely lower the road 12 to 18 inches and remove the vast majority of the problem.
Irony

posted on 2/5/14 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a Olympus SP-820UZ and its pretty awesome. Batteries pop out occasionally but the pictures are great. Not selling it though!

Oh and the sewer runs close under that bridge which is why they cannot lower the road.

matt_gsxr

posted on 2/5/14 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
Phil have a look for the G series from Canon (G9,10, qq etc). They are brilliant cameras that allow you to play with all of the settings of a SLR, but will also take fantastic point and shoot type photos on the auto modes. I am not selling, as my wife still uses hers as much as the DSLR she has too...

Agreed. I have a G15 and it is a lovely camera. 'Auto' it makes you look good, and it has so many manual modes to allow you to mess up and occasionally make something clever.

Not cheap though.

AntonUK

posted on 2/5/14 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
to be honest, I would avoid the bridge camera if she thinks she will get into it. Buy an older SLR for the same money. She will learn more and as she progresses parts will be re-usable.

Something like this?
canon eos 400d with 28-90 mm lens

A very capable camera, and will probable outperform most 'bridge' cameras.

Build Photos Here

Paul M

posted on 2/5/14 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Try refurbished direct from Fuji - great cameras & some great bargains,
I've bought three from them over the last few years,

fuji website

SSC Stylus 2.0. Blacktop, Omex
ECU & Bodies

ashg

posted on 2/5/14 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
bridge is a waste of time. spend a little extra and get an slr. Other option buy something used. I had a canon 600d that was an absolutely fantastic camera. they were £750 when they came out and can be had for around £300-350 now. they are basically the same as the latest 700d picture wise but just missing some of the very latest features that tbh 99.99% of people can live without. the big bonus is you wont have to buy her another camera all the way up to the point where she wants something in the full professional range.

little note on the cannon slr's

the 550d, 600d, and 700d all have exactly they same 18 megapixel sensor so will take virtually identical quality shots, the only difference is that each one is the newer model, with a few extra features but nothing ground breaking. the 600 is in the sweet spot as it has the rear articulated screen but if you can live without a pull out screen a 550 will serve you just a well for even less money.

stay away from the 450d as the sensor is significantly inferior to ones mentioned above. its not horrible if you have only had a cheap happy snap camera but the ones above are much better for only a little more money.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

ashg

posted on 2/5/14 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
keep an eye on these and see how little they go for. i doubt your find a better camera for the money.

personally i would recommend to go for canon or nikon as they are the two big players, they have the best selection of lenses and accessories by far and they are interchangeable between body models.

if you go for a canon give me a shout i have all the canon training dvd sets that are £30-40 a dvd if you want to borrow them to get her started.

Canon EOS 550D 18.0 MP Digital SLR Camera - Black (Kit w/ 18-55mm Lens)

Canon EOS 550D Digital SLR Camera Bundle 4960999668635

Canon EOS 550D / Digital SLR Camera w/ 18-55 Kit Lens and Bag 013803123777

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

snapper

posted on 3/5/14 at 05:35 AM Reply With Quote
And then you need software
Photoshop is the industry standard
Lightroom building a following as is Aperture
I would start her with photoshop elements
Camera wise there is plenty of time however the only contenders for a professional are Cannon & Nikon and once you have made a choice you usually stick to it as you build up kit swapping out bodies for better and building up lenses to the pro stuff
The most important thing early on is to take photos, young girls tend to photograph themselves and friends, she will need to get past this and start creating images, looking at other photographers work, looking at the news papers, local and national, and magazines. The web and social media, search out all sorts.
Nikon Professional magazine, The Photographer from the BIPP, Litebook from Bowens ( good for lighting tips) and can be found on line

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

scudderfish

posted on 3/5/14 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a Nikon P510 bridge camera and think it's ace. It takes nice photos on auto, but has all manner of things to fiddle with if you so wish, and the 42x zoom is fantastic. I went to the Olympic stadium last year and took two photos of a woman on the roof :-

In the first one, she's the dot below the centre lighting triangle.

The rapid fire (and zoom as we weren't that close to the pit) meant I could get a sequence of photos like this :-

Yes an SLR would probably be better, but this keeps me happy and I already own one money pit without getting deeply into photography as well.

Smoking Frog

posted on 3/5/14 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Daughter just brought the Canon 700D with lens for £390 + £27 import duty from china (gulp). Fantastic camera for the money. Was expecting a fake but seems genuine. Product registered on the canon web site OK.
me!

posted on 3/5/14 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Phil

I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ38 that doesn't get used anymore (now have a Canon D600). 12MP, 18x optical zoom, HD video etc, with a Lowepro case inc. rain cover. It's reasonably compact so would probably suit a 13 year olds hands. It's in very good condition as it has always been in the case- no scratches on the screen etc.

I have the original box/instructions/charger/cables/lens hood etc. No SD card though, it now lives in the Canon! Not sure on price- £80 ono?

U2U if you are interested- I can bring to Stoneleigh.

Craig.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.