Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Newbie saying Hello
micksalt

posted on 8/5/14 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
Newbie saying Hello

Afternoon all,

Having narrowed down my choices to either a Roadrunner SR2 or MNR Vortx Mazda, I went to Stoneleigh to take a closer look at both. Unfortunately, Roadrunner brought a car that no-one was allowed to touch, and certainly not allowed to sit in. Thankfully, Ashley brought along his orange supercharged SR2 and let me take a seat, and to my horror, it was too small. I didn't even put the steering wheel on because I could see that there was no knee clearance, so that was that.

Went over to the MNR stand and spoke to Chris, Mike and Leon, where Mike very kindly let me take a seat in his Mazda powered Vortx, perfect fit! It'll be October 2015 at the earliest before I can make a start, but I'll be making a start on my research now.

Cheers,

Mick

Ben_Copeland

posted on 8/5/14 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Where abouts are you, there maybe people nearby that can help. See other options etc

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

rdodger

posted on 8/5/14 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
That's a surprise! Not only they wouldn't sit in it but that it's too small. They look huge!

Would it not just be a matter of raising the steering column? Perhaps then you could straighten it up an do away with one of the UJ's. I really don't like the way they have done that.

Not that a Vortex is a bad idea!

micksalt

posted on 8/5/14 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
I'm from the Stoke on Trent area, well, Newcastle under Lyme specifically. I did have a word with Mike from Roadrunner about raising the height of the steering wheel but it is right up against a tube, so the tube would have to be bent which is something I am not keen on at all. I'd prefer to take a chassis that's got hundreds of hours of development in it and requires no modification at all. The Vortx Mazda just seemed to tick all the boxes for me.
Chris_Xtreme

posted on 8/5/14 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
I alike you found many kits just couldn't offer the leg length needed.

I have had a pinto powered and now a v8 quantum xtreme. they are a slightly bigger 7 style car, and a monoquoqe design, but the v8 doesn't even make it rock.

http://www.quantumcars.eu/

depending on what you want it for, the boot fits the side screens, hood and a fair sized bag, small tent.... and the wet weather gear keeps you dry! I use mine all year round.

just a though...

prawnabie

posted on 8/5/14 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi have you considered a westfield mazda? I was about to put a deposit on a mnr when westfield did an offer for 2500. I had to get a rack, roll bar and a tank to get it to the same spec as the mnr kit but it was still over 1k cheaper
micksalt

posted on 9/5/14 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
Hi have you considered a westfield mazda? I was about to put a deposit on a mnr when westfield did an offer for 2500. I had to get a rack, roll bar and a tank to get it to the same spec as the mnr kit but it was still over 1k cheaper

I hadn't actually, I had assumed that a Westfield would be quite a bit more expensive. Quite a quick jaunt for a factory visit too, so I'll look into it.

big_l

posted on 13/5/14 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
its worth paying the extra as the quality of the MNR is miles better !

inboard shocks
full round tube chassis
theres a reason westfield have there own series to race the cars in !

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

micksalt

posted on 14/5/14 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_l
its worth paying the extra as the quality of the MNR is miles better !

inboard shocks
full round tube chassis
theres a reason westfield have there own series to race the cars in !

Both yours and Mike's cars at Stoneleigh oozed quality, and I do like the round-tube chassis (which is why Roadrunner and MNR were short-listed)

big_l

posted on 16/5/14 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the nice comment
MNR's aren't the cheapest car to build buy my parents always told me you get what you pay for !

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

micksalt

posted on 19/5/14 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_l
MNR's aren't the cheapest car to build buy my parents always told me you get what you pay for !

So that's why I'm chasing yet another electrical gremlin in the daily-driver Fiat! I wish it would behave for a while, it's in serious danger of derailing my proposed kit order date by a month or two

micksalt

posted on 9/7/14 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Well, daily driver got replaced with a super economical 1.6 diesel Focus Estate. It is in fact so boring that my lady is now actively behind me in getting a Vortx as soon as possible
micksalt

posted on 9/1/15 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
The year is upon us

Well folks,

The year of ordering the kit car is upon me, and according to my accountant (and wife-to-be) there should be £10k to play with after the wedding. Now I appreciate that £10k doesn't get you very far, so it's going to be quite a basic build, with the intention to upgrade over the years. First of all, is this a reasonable budget? Secondly, I'm not sure which route to go down: Mazda or Ford. The reason I ask this is because there seems to be more upgrade parts available if you go the Ford route, particularly if you use a brand new Zetec engine. However, the Mazda engine seems to accept a good tickle quite nicely too, and I suspect will be the cheaper route to go. Thoughts folks?

Cheers,

Mick

theduck

posted on 9/1/15 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
I would go MX5 based. Plenty of tuning options and bigger engine options if you feel the need later on.
gaz_gaz

posted on 9/1/15 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Some one on here last week was selling a part built (looked to a very very good standard) MNR.
it had a S2000 engine and box. Maybe worth looking at as a way of stretching your budget out. search for Brett Jones.

by the time you've bought the kit new from MNR
donor vehicle
iva
registration
wheels and tires
plua all the extras required and little touches you want I'd be surprised if you could put a MNR on the road for £ 10k

[Edited on 9/1/15 by gaz_gaz]

micksalt

posted on 9/1/15 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gaz_gaz
plua all the extras required and little touches you want I'd be surprised if you could put a MNR on the road for £ 10k

I suspected that CKC's estimate of £7.5k built was a little ambitious. I'm guessing they assumed things like using the donor wheels and tyres, modifying your own wiring loom etc.. to get down to that price.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.