Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Seat position (F1 inspired)
Slimy38

posted on 9/6/14 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Seat position (F1 inspired)

I'm just thinking aloud here so apologies in advance. Has anyone positioned their seat similar to how F1 drivers are seated? OK, perhaps not to that extreme, but all the demo cars I've sat in have flat seats and your legs are either out straight, or bent and lifted off the seat. How comfortable would a seat be if it was inclined backwards and lifted your knees up underneath the steering wheel?

I'm starting to see potential flaws in that plan already (detachable steering wheel would become a necessity rather than an option). I think at the very least I might go for a heel bar at the bottom of the pedals so my legs can stay bent without having to keep them raised...

mark chandler

posted on 9/6/14 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to add a new scare factor why not, their feet are however stuck like that through necessity, for myself I would much rather be able to extract myself easily especially if you get involved in an accident.

F1 cars enjoy crumple zones, super strong driver cells and all the other safety features our cars lack

CNHSS1

posted on 9/6/14 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
a lot of 750MC 'Clubmans' Cars have the driver lying down in essence, but haven't seen any with legs lifted like an F1 car is currently.
Its a comfy enough position in a car that's about 12" tall! but for road use I think it would restrict vision too much

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

CNHSS1

posted on 9/6/14 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
pic of a sauber from couple of years ago

http://cdn6.feeldesain.com/feel/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/sauber-f1-team-cutaway-race-car-feeldesain-19.png

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

D Beddows

posted on 9/6/14 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Without the g-forces of F1 performance (and without F1 levels of fitness) wouldn't you legs just 'go to sleep' after about 30 minutes ? - no idea really but it was my 1st thought :unknown:
Slimy38

posted on 9/6/14 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
I guess it was more the 'knees up and supported' rather than a full blown F1 style? So keeping everything as it is but kicking the leading edge of the seat up to have the legs bent. The feet would still be at the same height with floor mounted pedals.

I would guess most of you already drive with a slight bend in the knee rather than an absolutely straight leg?

40inches

posted on 9/6/14 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
I started out with the drivers seat tilted back to support behind the knees, and found that my legs below the knees went numb lol.
That and the fact that the headrest was ok with a lid on, if you could put up with the tapping noise on every bump, without the lid my head was to far back and I got neck ache from trying to keep my head forward.
I have lowered the front of the seat, now much more comfortable

eddie99

posted on 9/6/14 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of single seaters have feet inclined up similar to f1, mainly for aero purposes or to get suspension geometry they are after. I don't see how it would benefit in a seven at all.

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Slimy38

posted on 9/6/14 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies, it does sound like one of those things that seems like an idea but has no practical benefit apart from pins and needles at the end of the drive... and if that's what I wanted I'd stick with my motorbike!
loggyboy

posted on 9/6/14 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CNHSS1
pic of a sauber from couple of years ago

http://cdn6.feeldesain.com/feel/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/sauber-f1-team-cutaway-race-car-feeldesain-19.png

Video to accompany those shots:

[Edited on 9-6-14 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

coyoteboy

posted on 9/6/14 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Can't see any reason why you'd get pins and needles from a legs raised position. you don't get pins and needles in your head when walking around (I presume) - your heart is a pump, the only reason for pins and needles is pressure points. Done right a reclined seat position can be very comfy.

It will slow your exit.

I can't see it making any difference in a crash.

I plan for mine to be a more reclined position but not so far that my neck is cricked from the position.

Texan

posted on 9/6/14 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
We had a similar discussion over on the Locost USA forum last month and the biggest downside seemed to be feel & control of the car. I have no experience with this but guys who seemed to know said it was much easier to feel & control the car the more vertical you were.

So that's my .02¢ worth although it might be worth less than .02¢ since it's anecdotal.

I drive therefore I am.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.