Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine selection - pre or post cat?
ChapmansTailpipe

posted on 9/7/14 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Engine selection - pre or post cat?

I'm choosing a donor engine and am aware that pre-95 units are pre-cat legislation and this is good because:

1. no cat (cost+performance)
  2. less stringent emissions testing

My problem is that these donor cars are now almost 20 years old and I'm having a hard time finding one.

Am I wasting my time and should I forget the pre-cat advantages and just get a more recent, post-95 model?

I would appreciate any advice

loggyboy

posted on 9/7/14 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Any argument that pre cats will be more powerfull could be countered with more modern engines being better designed and able combine equal or better performance with stricter emissions and better economy.

Also depending on how you plan on registering the car then it may not matter - Ie a Q plate will only be tested for visible smoke for MOT, so you would only need to worry about emmisions for IVA, after which, parts be swapped/removed, or conservative mapping/setting up can be adjusted in favour of performance.

Mistral Motorsport

pekwah1

posted on 9/7/14 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Is this for a build prior to IVA?

I went with pre-cat because i thought it would be easier but still failed emissions tests the first time.

If you have a modern engine that needs a cat, i believe many people on here have done so without much hassle at all.
Depending on your intentions for engine setup, i don't think you should struggle too much

Smoking Frog

posted on 9/7/14 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Depends on the manufacture. Some older ones are still good performers. In my opinion stick with newer engines and install a cat. Welcome to the forum.
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/7/14 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Mind too if this is really a 'new' car that in the future you will need spares and parts. Unless it is a popular engine like a pinto etc you may find getting hold of engine parts difficult to get hold off.

I've been put off a few modern car engines (ones that were low miles and free) that were available for my old tin top just because I could not guarantee that I could get the spares in the future, especially the electronics. I can see it being a Nissan/Ford hybrid in the future

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 9/7/14 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
I went for an early mark 1 MX5, they came out early enough to avoid the cat restrictions but are still very capable engines. And they can have a lot done with them.
ChapmansTailpipe

posted on 9/7/14 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the warm welcome and the quick responses.

To add some meat to the bone, it's a GKD build so it's a 3-Series donor I'm on the scout for.

coyoteboy

posted on 9/7/14 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Any argument that pre cats will be more powerfull could be countered with more modern engines being better designed and able combine equal or better performance with stricter emissions and better economy.

Also depending on how you plan on registering the car then it may not matter - Ie a Q plate will only be tested for visible smoke for MOT, so you would only need to worry about emmisions for IVA, after which, parts be swapped/removed, or conservative mapping/setting up can be adjusted in favour of performance.

This was my opinion. Bought a cat engine, will fit cats for the IVA and will have absolutely no problem passing emissions and will then pull them off because I'm going Q plate and the emissions limits are not as strict.

40inches

posted on 9/7/14 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
You should be aware that, post IVA, the V5c will in all probability have the emissions that you passed IVA with printed on it.
Mine passed emissions better than post 2002 limits, with a 1998 carbed engine, that is the limits I will have to pass when MOT is due

deezee

posted on 9/7/14 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
On the IVA, it sets the emissions the vehicle needs to pass. This is undertaken by VOSA and entered in the vehicle database against that vehicle. How the DVLA choose to license and tax the vehicle (Q reg or age related) won't change your Vosa V5C emissions.

That being said, some garages only do a visible smoke test on a Q plate. Others will go off the database. So your really rolling the dice when it comes to MOT, hoping you get an easy going garage.

mcerd1

posted on 10/7/14 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
You should be aware that, post IVA, the V5c will in all probability have the emissions that you passed IVA with printed on it.
Mine passed emissions better than post 2002 limits, with a 1998 carbed engine, that is the limits I will have to pass when MOT is due

^^ that doesn't sound right to me, I thought that if it didn't have an entry for your model in the database then you follow the same flowchart as the IVA test

also if the engine is older than the chassis you can use this from the MOT manual:
quote:
Vehicles Fitted with a different engine

Test according to which is older, engine or vehicle.
e.g. A 1995 car fitted with a 1991 engine (of whatever make), test to 1991 standards for emission purposes.

Note: The onus is on the vehicle presenter
to prove engine age.

-

loggyboy

posted on 10/7/14 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
On the IVA, it sets the emissions the vehicle needs to pass. This is undertaken by VOSA and entered in the vehicle database against that vehicle. How the DVLA choose to license and tax the vehicle (Q reg or age related) won't change your Vosa V5C emissions.

That being said, some garages only do a visible smoke test on a Q plate. Others will go off the database. So your really rolling the dice when it comes to MOT, hoping you get an easy going garage.

Mot Manual specfically states than Qs should be tested for visable smoke only. If a tester doesnt then it should be queried.

Mistral Motorsport

deezee

posted on 10/7/14 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Mot Manual specfically states than Qs should be tested for visable smoke only. If a tester doesnt then it should be queried.

Not the best photo, but you are certainly correct. Regardless of the flow charts and the IVA man, the MOT handbook (issue date April 2013) says Q plates are visible smoke only. Pretty Awesome!

whitestu

posted on 10/7/14 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Are you sure that is right about Q plates. I have no information to suggest it isn't, just that it doesn't make sense.

My car was SVAd with a 1990 Sierra CVH engine and so had to pass emissions based on that engine [3.5% CO / 1200ppm HC].

When went for registration there was a question over whether I got an age related plate or a Q. I ended up with an age related reg. and so have to pass the above emissions at MOT time.
If they had given me a Q plate would I only have to pass a smoke test?

Stu

mcerd1

posted on 10/7/14 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu

That's right

as I remember they changed the MOT manuals wording a wee while back to simplify/clarify the rules for Q plates

-

whitestu

posted on 10/7/14 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by whitestu

That's right

as I remember they changed the MOT manuals wording a wee while back to simplify/clarify the rules for Q plates

Interesting. Wish I hadn't pushed for an age related plate now! One less thing to worry about at MOT time.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.