Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stainless Exhaust Discolouring Time Rover V8
Irony

posted on 24/7/14 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Stainless Exhaust Discolouring Time Rover V8

Started my engine for the first time recently and the exhausts get bloody hot! I ran it last night for maybe 10 minutes max and I can already start to see my nice new shiny stainless exhausts beginning to discolour! In fact I have been having ignition issues and two cylinders where not working properly and they haven't discoloured as much.

Is this normal??

BaileyPerformance

posted on 24/7/14 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Did you sort out why it was idling rough? (Re your previous topics)

It is normal to get hot headers that will discolour, the temperature of the headers are directly effected by the ignition timing - retarded timing will increase temperature.

Also, incorrect valve clearances or lifter pre-load will cause hot headers as well as rough running.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Irony

posted on 24/7/14 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaileyPerformance
Did you sort out why it was idling rough? (Re your previous topics)

It is normal to get hot headers that will discolour, the temperature of the headers are directly effected by the ignition timing - retarded timing will increase temperature.

Also, incorrect valve clearances or lifter pre-load will cause hot headers as well as rough running.

I seem to have cured a lot of the problems thanks to yours and others advice. I think I had the timing out by 10 degrees and the normal ignition cable wrongly placed issue. I fabricated a new better VR sensor bracket and redid the timing at the toothed gear. I changed the ignition cables about and it runs a lot better now.

I was led to believe that the lifter preload is not that critical when using a standard cams. I have not done anything about it as it looks a bit of a pig to do.

40inches

posted on 24/7/14 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
My headers have turned brown, right to the silencer It polishes out easily enough, but I only bother with the exterior bits.

Irony

posted on 24/7/14 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
My headers have turned brown, right to the silencer It polishes out easily enough, but I only bother with the exterior bits.

I was expecting it to happen eventually - maybe after the first proper run out. But after 10 minutes seems a bit quick.

40inches

posted on 24/7/14 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches

I was expecting it to happen eventually - maybe after the first proper run out. But after 10 minutes seems a bit quick.

Mine turned brown almost immediately too. I was expecting them to turn blue lol

Andy S

posted on 24/7/14 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Just Google steel temperature colour chart - colouring is temperature dependent not time. Putting a mirror polish finish makes it look better when it colours and holds off the oxides.

coyoteboy

posted on 24/7/14 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
From http://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=140
quote:

The table below represents the temper colours that are likely to form on stainless steel type 1.4301 (AISI 304) if heated in air.

THIS INFORMATION MUST BE USED WITH CARE WHEN INTREPETING THE HINT TINT COLOURS OBSERVED ON STAINLESS STEEL SURFACES AS THE HEATING CONDITIONS ARE NOT SPECIFIED.

Colour Formed Approx Temperature C
pale yellow 290
straw yellow 340
dark yellow 370
brown 390
purple brown 420
dark purple 450
blue 540
dark blue 600

My stainless downpipe has never gone past purple brown, but it is post-turbo.

[Edited on 24/7/14 by coyoteboy]

Irony

posted on 24/7/14 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
I can safely say they are pale yellow at the moment. I just didn't think it happened almost immediately.
BaileyPerformance

posted on 24/7/14 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
I was led to believe that the lifter preload is not that critical when using a standard cams. I have not done anything about it as it looks a bit of a pig to do.

If your running a stock cam, and the block and/or heads have not been machined heavily then you'll be fine.

If its a TVR engine they tend to machine alot off the heads to get the CR up and so install shims under each rocker post to bring pre-load back up. (without these shims you can get lifter jackup causing the valve to not completely close)

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richardm6994

posted on 24/7/14 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Mine went pale yellow almost instantly but haven't got any worse since.
http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/richardm6994/media/photoshoot/Detail-06_zpsefc37299.jpg.html

[Edited on 24/7/14 by richardm6994]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.