Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Jaguar 3L V6
Malcomius

posted on 24/7/14 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Jaguar 3L V6

I'm contemplating dropping the V6 3 litre manual engine and box into my quantum xtreme, has anyone any experience of using this combination?
Mr Whippy

posted on 24/7/14 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
hope you have a huge fuel tank

There's an ongoing joke in this office about some of the truly horrific mpg fuel returns for the big executive cars here, Jags being quite a few of them and my 25 year old car returning more than 3 times their figures!

Go too big and fuel cost can end up putting you off even using it which seems rather pointless IMO

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 24/7/14 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
hope you have a huge fuel tank

There's an ongoing joke in this office about some of the truly horrific mpg fuel returns for the big executive cars here, Jags being quite a few of them and my 25 year old car returning more than 3 times their figures!

Go too big and fuel cost can end up putting you off even using it which seems rather pointless IMO

Sort of agree, but then again....
We build fun cars, and I will admit that I never gave consideration to fuel consumption when building.
My 899cc engine gives around 25mpg when caning it and around 35mpg at a cruise.
However when I let go, and change near the rev limit over a longish run, 18-20mpg is normal.
If I did decide to fit a boat anchor, I have decided it would be a V6, and Jag engine/gearbox combos are plentiful and cheap.

v8kid

posted on 24/7/14 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
On the other hand my 3.0V6 jag gets 50 on the motorway and 40 average.

I suppose it is a diesel ...But

The petrol is a version of the ford aint it? dont they fit to single seaters?

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 24/7/14 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
There is a guy over on the Robin Hood owners site that has done it. He has done some bits the hard way by not using its gearbox.

big_wasa

posted on 24/7/14 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
I am looking for the Fwd version for my next project.
mark chandler

posted on 24/7/14 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have seen a few mid engined cars with them, seemed to go well and good power out the box
samjc

posted on 24/7/14 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got the duratec v6 for my future project just keeping an eye out for a jag s type box and sump to suit then itll be a brain for it then ill look at swapping the pinto for it.
big_wasa

posted on 24/7/14 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yep I am not into spending big money on ecu's and mapping so the St220 version is good for 220 ish with jag giving 240.
Both can be had for around £500. its just finding one local with poor bodywork and a good low millage engine.

Used in the Nobble I believe with a couple of turbo's strapped on.

Malcomius

posted on 24/7/14 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers but if I was interested in mpg I'd buy a moped
scootz

posted on 24/7/14 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
You'll likely have to fabricate a new tunnel as the gearbox is going to be too wide for the Xtreme one.

It's Evolution Baby!

40inches

posted on 24/7/14 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malcomius
Cheers but if I was interested in mpg I'd buy a moped

IanSouthLincs

posted on 25/7/14 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I have one, though it is in my 4wd x-type sport and no, you can't have it
Absolutely brilliant engine, I get a solid 30mpg out of mine in the Jag though I don't do much town driving at all. Yes it's a Duratec 30, but if you buy a Jag one you get at least 20bhp over the one fitted in the ST220 Mondeo, the boys in Coventry did rework the heads, but the block is identical. I'd love to put one in my kit but I'll have to live with the Pinto for a fair while yet!!

samjc

posted on 26/7/14 at 03:11 AM Reply With Quote
Mine will be a long time project as ill be runing bike carbs and possibly small ish turbos. Mine was a steal at £170 delivered with clocks most of the front end and heaps of other bits. Must have made £200 easy on waying in all the scrap and selling off clocks and gearbox. So free lump with ecu, key, barrel, starter and flywheel so im happy to pay for a new ecu or upgrades just to squeeze sensible power but then again like you say their good for 220+ bhp so no need to turbo in such light small cars.
big_wasa

posted on 26/7/14 at 05:50 AM Reply With Quote
If your selling the ecu, key, loom let me know what you want for them ? Cheers
Davey D

posted on 26/7/14 at 07:29 AM Reply With Quote
I'd love to build a car with this engine, but I've read quite a few people commenting on the poor gear ratios in the manual S Type box? Anyone know why? Are they just too short in lower gears, or too long in top gears?

If I was going to do it I'd like to use the original gearbox, diff, and electronics

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.