Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another hot start problem
Sierra

posted on 24/7/14 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Another hot start problem

Hi all just after advice on what to check/replace first.
This time last year I started having problems with the car not starting after getting hot. I thought that the battery might be old and buggered so I bought another battery only this time I decided to go with the small bike battery from rmd.
Yesterday I took the car out and it started fine but drove it about a mile turned it off and it wouldn't turn back on. It sounds like the battery hasn't got enough power but surely that's not right.
Anyway my friend came with jump leads and I was on my way, drove it around 15 miles and stalled at a round about, you guessed it, it wouldn't start. Pushed it round the corner and tried again and it did start. Drove another mile to my house turned it off and again wouldn't start again.
Parked it in the garage over night and went this morning to start it and it did start first time.
Does this indicate that the battery itself is fine?

leon51274

posted on 24/7/14 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
I had exactly the same issues so I changed battery to one with twice the cranking amp (600) and now have no problems.

[Edited on 24/7/14 by leon51274]

Sierra

posted on 24/7/14 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks I was thinking battery until it turned over this morning straight away. Surely if the battery was the issue it would always have trouble starting, hot or cold.
leon51274

posted on 24/7/14 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Mine would start no problem when cold but then as soon as it got hot it just didn't want to know.
Sierra

posted on 24/7/14 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like exactly the same issue then. Does anyone know the cranking amp of the rmd 25 battery?
Also forgot to mention that when my friend went to jump start me it still wouldn't turn over until he switch his engine on.

Smoking Frog

posted on 24/7/14 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
This may help. The starter motor is covered near the bottom of the page.
http://www.w8ji.com/battery_and_charging_system.htm

whitestu

posted on 24/7/14 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
My Zetec engined car will often turn over slower or hesitate before turning over properly when hot. It is fine when cold. I think it is to do with the starter getting hot as it is close to the exhaust.

I'm surmising that the resistance in the starter increases when hot an so takes a bit more power to get it going. I haven't proved this is the case yet though.
Could yours be a similar issue?

daveb666

posted on 24/7/14 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
I had a hot-start issue, replacing the old started for a new one cured it and it started twice as faster as it ever did before on the old motor.

It's also noting that, as you said "this time last year" that maybe your air/coolant compensation maps on your car need tweaking for the hotter weather? it could be doing something special with the ignition advance or fuelling if they're not setup correctly.

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

Sierra

posted on 24/7/14 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your help guys. I've just spent the last few hours removing my starter and it was an absolute pain. I can't see a model number on it but can see valeo. Does anyone recognise what car this starter is from and also does it look in bad shape?

whitestu

posted on 25/7/14 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
The solenoid connections look a bit rusty.

If it is on a Blacktop is should be this one for a 1.8CVH: Link

This is what I have on my Blacktop. Hard to tell but looks the same as yours in the pics.

Stu

r1_pete

posted on 25/7/14 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
It could be your cranking timing is too advanced, a too early spark will try and push the piston back down against the starter, you dont say whether your distributer or less, if its MJLJ Squirt etc. back off the cranking advance a bit, if its dizzy, try backing it off a little.

It doesn't happen when its cold because, atomization is not as effective at the low temperature, so the burn rate of the mixture is slower, and the starter can overcome the resistance, when hot the engine is much more efficient, hence the problem.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ed1801

posted on 25/7/14 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Same with my westfield, backed off cranking timing from 10° to 0° and the hot start thing went away immediately.
whitestu

posted on 25/7/14 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Can't remember if I've tried that or not!

I'll fire up the laptop and have a play with the MJ at the weekend!

Sierra

posted on 25/7/14 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
I wish I could do what you've mentioned but I wouldn't even know where to start
whitestu

posted on 25/7/14 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
What engine are you running?
Sierra

posted on 25/7/14 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
It's a 2ltr blacktop with omex 500
whitestu

posted on 25/7/14 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like page 21 here would be a good place to start. Omex 500

The software is on the OMEX website.

Stu

Sierra

posted on 25/7/14 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info stu but I wouldn't dare start messing with it myself as I will probably mess it up. Need to get it tuned anyway to try and get the best out of the supercharger but first need to sort this starting issue.
I've got a feeling it's the battery or starter. I managed to get a video of it starting when cold and one where it wouldn't start after a run. Still not sure if it's the starter that goes faulty when hot or the battery not having enough power to give the starter (but somehow it does when cold)

Sierra

posted on 25/7/14 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Quick question, if the starter is buggered will it still turn when jumped off another car? Because when this hot start issue happens I get jumped by a friend
ed1801

posted on 26/7/14 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Exactly what mine was like. First rotation is fast until it fires, which kicks back and stops it turning over. Then it repeats. Two batteries in parallel is a way round the problem, as is a battery from a tractor. Neither fix the actual problem...
snakebelly

posted on 26/7/14 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
had this problem myself and in the end fitted a high torque starter and have never looked back, wont use anything else now even on my latest little 1300 tuned triumph project. Remember that when cold the compression will be lower than when fully warmed up as everything expands. if you do a cold then a hot compression test you should see a marked rise in compression in the warmed up reading. Hence it starts alright cold as the starter has less compression working against it. Brise and the likes do hi torque geared starters, they are not cheap but will allow you to keep using a smaller battery and will ensure that the car stats every time.

HTH

Sierra

posted on 26/7/14 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
So you guys reckon it's definitely the starter that's causing the issues not the battery?
Why would the starter still work when using jump leads from another car if it was faulty?
I did try to start it this morning but wouldn't start but that could be that I drained the battery last night trying so many times.

adithorp

posted on 26/7/14 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
No.

I think the ignition is too far advanced when cranking. Certainly sounds like that in the video. The engine is trying to fire AGAINST the direction of rotation and is too much for the starter/battery combination to overcome. The situation is worse when it's hot as there's better compression (and possibly different ignition mapping). Connecting another battery on just gives a few more cranking amps to overcome the effect.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Sierra

posted on 26/7/14 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
So will I be ok buying a larger cca battery (say 500-600) or should I stick to what I have and change the cranking timing to 0'
adithorp

posted on 26/7/14 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
A bigger battery would help, as would a high torque starter but neither are fixing the fault. Back the cranking advance off. If it fixes the problem, job done.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.