Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another hot start problem
Sierra

posted on 24/7/14 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Another hot start problem

Hi all just after advice on what to check/replace first.
This time last year I started having problems with the car not starting after getting hot. I thought that the battery might be old and buggered so I bought another battery only this time I decided to go with the small bike battery from rmd.
Yesterday I took the car out and it started fine but drove it about a mile turned it off and it wouldn't turn back on. It sounds like the battery hasn't got enough power but surely that's not right.
Anyway my friend came with jump leads and I was on my way, drove it around 15 miles and stalled at a round about, you guessed it, it wouldn't start. Pushed it round the corner and tried again and it did start. Drove another mile to my house turned it off and again wouldn't start again.
Parked it in the garage over night and went this morning to start it and it did start first time.
Does this indicate that the battery itself is fine?

daveb666

posted on 24/7/14 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
what engine, spec etc?

2007bc Photography - Commercial and Wedding Photographer based in West Yorkshire

http://www.2007bc.co.uk / http://www.huddersfieldcommercialphotographer.co.uk

Sierra

posted on 24/7/14 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Hi it's a tiger avon with 2ltr blacktop and m45 supercharger running on omex 500.
andy188

posted on 24/7/14 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, zetecs have an issue with starter close to exhaust, I have the same on mine no supercharger though, try flooring the throttle a little while turning key, works on mine, have been looking at making a heatshield, some have tried this, others high torque starters, don't know what the success rate is though. hope this helps.

Andy

Sierra

posted on 24/7/14 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks unfortunately mines a push button start so doesn't work the same. I removed my starter and want to buy a high torque one just don't know which one.
BaileyPerformance

posted on 25/7/14 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
When you say it won't start, do you mean the engine cranks over slow or it cranks ok but doesn't fire up?
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sierra

posted on 25/7/14 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
It cranks very slowly twice then stops like the battery dies, but it doesn't as it will do that over and over again.
BaileyPerformance

posted on 25/7/14 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
I'd say starter, I've got a robin fitted with a 2.0 pinto in workshop at mo, doing the same thing, will crank for a couple of turns then stops, try again its ok.

Just about to get a 1.4kw starter to see if that sorts it.

The stock zetec starters are 0.9kw I think, complained like Brise make 1.4 or 2kw versions.

Mite just be your starter is buggered, but if you plan on buying new Brise are good. I have a 2kw one on my Cosworth, spins over very quickly.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.