Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Soffits and Fascias replacing advice
James

posted on 31/7/14 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Soffits and Fascias replacing advice

Greetings all!

The fascias are rotten and the guttering has dropped off round most of the house! It's been empty for 4 years so fairly unkempt! (those fascia tiles are sorted btw!)

[img] Fascia tiles
Fascia tiles
[/img]

I want PVCu and there's a supplier nearby.

It's a job I'm thinking of doing myself with scaffolding as there's fairly good access all around.

However, I've had slightly conflicting advice as to what to use.

Obviously I'll be ripping all the old fascia (and soffit) off but am I meant to then fit 18mm PVC instead, or is it meant to be treated timber first followed by the 18mm PVC?

Or something else?

Any other hints or tips?

Thanks!
James

[Edited on 31/7/14 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

James

posted on 31/7/14 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add,

we live on a fairly busy road also, if it affects the ventilation at all, we might have a loft conversion at some point.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Smoking Frog

posted on 31/7/14 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
The fascia is fixed directly to the end of the rafters, wood or pvcu. Maybe your getting confused with a cladding or capping fascia that is thinner (approx 8mm) and is fixed to the old existing wooden fascia to cover it up. If you're removing the old fascia you want 18mm thick.
fazerruss

posted on 31/7/14 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
There are essentially 2 types of soffits You want the "full replacement" type which is more rigid and designed to support guttering ect. The cover up type is only about 9 mm thick and very soft/ weak which needs to be fitted to already sound wooden soffits.

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

James

posted on 31/7/14 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Okay, so 18mm "full replacement" is good enough on its own then? Without timber beneath. With guttering hanging off it?
Is there any benefit to fitting new timber and then covering it with 9mm over the proper 18mm?

What are the opinions of those plastic trays that go under the final sheet of felt and sit in the gutter (I forget the name)? Beneficial? Added complication?

EDIT:
Also, should I be fitting those round vents (or any other type)? If the house (1960's) wasn't 'designed' for that level of ventilation, is there any benefit?

Thanks!

fazerruss

posted on 31/7/14 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
There's no benefit with wood and thin soffit. It just creates twice as much work. Most new build low maintenance houses use the 18mm. I did with my garage. I screwed through into the ends of roof trusses to support gutter but was told by supplier the facia will support it no probs just make sure you use chip board screws as they grab better.
The plastic tray is to repair the edge of old bituminous felt that has rotted away due to sun exposure so with it being and old house then it would be good to fit it.
Vents are a good idea to keep fresh air circulating and prevent damp/ rot

[Edited on 31/7/14 by fazerruss]

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

jossey

posted on 1/8/14 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
Can't you just cover the old wood or is it mega rotten.

I didn't use scaffolding u just used 2 people and 2 ladders.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 1/8/14 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
5 lads are out doing mine right now, looks like they've taken the old wood fascias down with guttering still attached, and putting up 18mm PVC fascia and soffit (with vents all along) straight on. though i've not really been watching, just seeing whats come off, and what had been delivered

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.