Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: clutch fork
mike2704

posted on 13/8/14 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
clutch fork

Hi, Fitting type 9 gearbox to zetec got clutch release bearing sorted but when I try to fit the release bearing to the fork it jams on the sleeve and the fork wont move, is there any difference in the clutch forks.
This is driving me nuts as I'm using all the parts recommended and want to get this gearbox fitted.
Thanks in anticipation Mike

dave r

posted on 13/8/14 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
there is definitely more than one type 9 clutch arm....

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

rusty nuts

posted on 13/8/14 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
There are at least three different clutch forks for the type 9 box. ISTR some posting a photo of all 3 on here some time ago.?
Paul Turner

posted on 14/8/14 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
The 3 type 9 clutch forks I am aware of are 2 4 cylinder ones, the very early narrow one (same as Cortina Type E) and the later slightly wider one plus the V6 one. 4 cylinder and V6 are not interchangeable but there is an easy way to recognise them, the 4 cylinder ones are symmetrical, the V6 ones are asymmetrical.

There are also release bearings with narrower sleeves for the lighter series boxes. Are you sure its the correct bearing for a type 9?

spegru

posted on 14/8/14 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
I've done this zetec/type9 conversion twice.
Both time I used a standard Sierra release arm that I modified (Cut slight, bent and rewelded) to make it straighter than normal - so as to bring the release bearing about 1/2 inch closer to the clutch. In this way I was able to use standard zetec flywheel and clutch. (it's thinner than the Sierra one you see)
Works fine - for 17yrs so far

Other people have redrilled the sierra flywheel to suit zetec and used the Sierra clutch in order to achieve the same thing

Maybe you are trying to bring the release bearing further forward on the standard arm, in which case I guess it might be sticking at the pin end since it's not supposed to come that far forward or maybe its sticking on the the input shaft sleeve for the same reason? Thinking about it, that second possibility is the most likely .

OTOH if the release bearing is too small for the sleeve then maybe it's just the wrong one.

[Edited on 14/8/14 by spegru]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.