Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Looking to build
Mj2326

posted on 27/8/14 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Looking to build

Hi there,

I'm looking to build my 1st kit car Im looking for a budget build the car will be used for trackdays and occasional weekend on the road. I would preferbly like to go bike engine power as i've had several trips out in them and thats the buzz i'm looking for!

My background is mostly electrical i was an aircraft electrician in the RAF but now i'm a multi skilled vehicle tech on rolling stock so not completely useless with a spanner but im no welder.

So which is the kit for me i've been eyeing up the tiger avon or mk indy but i then stumbled across aries motorsport and their locost build. I am on a tight budget as it stands at the mo as ive just bought my 1st house and a new car but got about 3.5k left in the pot to get the ball rolling.

Can anyone help point me to something that would suit my needs i know rome wasn't built in a day and it is gonna be a long term project for me.

Thanks

Mike J

big_wasa

posted on 27/8/14 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Gbs zero 7 is another budget kit.

If your in no rush buy a welder it will be another skill and it comes in handy for all sorts.

Slimy38

posted on 27/8/14 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Gbs zero 7 is another budget kit.

If your in no rush buy a welder it will be another skill and it comes in handy for all sorts.

+1. It's taken me a while to make my chassis and wishbones, but I've only spent £200 in metal. You wouldn't get a chassis for that money, even a set of wishbones would be close.

Mj2326

posted on 27/8/14 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
yea cant fault you guys eventually maybe something ill learn but gonna go proven chassis for my 1st build.

yea i looked at the gbs but couldn't find parts just looked again a whole site must of had my eyes closed ha

Slimy38

posted on 27/8/14 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Ebay is also a good idea for 'part finished' kits, the nature of kit cars unfortunately means that for every one car taken to completion, there must be dozens that are abandoned or sold on. Here's one that took me all of five seconds to find on Ebay;

Locost bike engined kit car R1 like caterham robin hood unfinished project

Again, having time available might mean you can wait for a good opportunity to arise.

nickm

posted on 27/8/14 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
My 2p worth

If it is a long term project then you have loads of time to select exactly what you want.
Visit as many firms as you can, test drive the cars, talk to people who have built the car your after.
I think the Aries is a pretty car and was originally designed for a bike engine, called the Stuart Taylor Locoblade but i stand to be corrected on that. The locoblades use to do very well in the 750mc bike engined class but that was a few years ago now. I found the owner a really decent bloke to talk to.
The fibreglass bodywork is probably the most expensive part of a kit so sticking to a 7 type should be cheaper than some of the other types.
A bike engine may be more expensive than a car.
I nearly built a bike engined car a Sylva R1ot but i got talked out of it by the owner ? the final decider was keeping my licence but that is a personality trait !
None of the cars can be built in the time frame the companys tell you that is how long it takes them to build with all the parts sourced, templates made etc.
Some are harder builds than others
If you deviate from the firms design ie a different engine etc it will take you longer.
Kitcar shows are the best place to get all this info in one place.

Enjoy the selection its all part of it.

Nick M

twybrow

posted on 27/8/14 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
The Aries is a great car and doable on a tight budget. Your finances may dictate tour choice of engine - look out for someone selling a complete engine kit they have removed to upgrade to another engine. That should get you all the bits you need, and you know it all goes together - plus it can be a lot cheaper than sourcing all the bits yourself.
drt

posted on 28/8/14 at 04:04 AM Reply With Quote
Talon (ebay shop)
also makes book chassis and suspension...

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/talonproducts

quite cheap

I contacted him for a flatpack long long ago, but didn't go further (shipping expensive)
So I have no exp with him...
Maybe someone on the forum ?

Mj2326

posted on 28/8/14 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
well slight hiccup on the ariel locost the guy who makes his chassis no longer does so be christmas before he starts to make some himself
drt

posted on 28/8/14 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
?
me ?

Project on track if you are interested.
My steel supplier went on summer holiday.
And I had to wait 3weeks for supply...

Mj2326

posted on 28/8/14 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
What? You can make me a chassis to the same spec as the Aries Motorsport locost?
Mj2326

posted on 29/8/14 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Well I've just managed to win a locost built on a Westfield chassis on eBay for 2650 needs some tlc but should keep me busy
drt

posted on 30/8/14 at 12:50 AM Reply With Quote
You wrote arieL in your former post
Sorry for the confusion ^^

quote:
Originally posted by Mj2326
What? You can make me a chassis to the same spec as the Aries Motorsport locost?

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.