Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vehicle new road tax procedure
ragindave

posted on 28/8/14 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
vehicle new road tax procedure

vehicle road tax procedure from the 01/10/2014.
As the owner of a vehicle when you sell the vehicle the road tax is no longer transferable.
The DVLA on receipt of the v5 informing them of change of ownership of the vehicle will automatically refund the previous owner/keeper for any remaining tax on the vehicle.
The new owner/ keeper must re-tax the vehicle before using it on the road.

So I assume the system allows the vehicle to have road tax from 2 different people at the same time?
If you went and purchased a vehicle and wanted to drive it home the same day of purchase you would have an overlap surely with the new keeper and the previous keeper both holding road tax against the vehicle until the v5 was received by the DVLA?
It does appear the application for a road tax can be made 24/7 by phone or online and still in the post office as well.

Macbeast

posted on 28/8/14 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I think you could allow the new owner one day to drive on your tax ? Unless you sell on the last day of the month you lose that unexpired tax anyway. Or have I misunderstood ?

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

nick205

posted on 28/8/14 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting. I'm about to sell a car which is currently SORN'd, but with 10 months MoT I had intended to re-tax it for 6 months to entice buyers and allow for a test drives etc.

If I read your description right, the new owner would then have to re-tax the car anyway and I would get a refund (losing out on the current month no doubt)?

ragindave

posted on 28/8/14 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
3 million vehicles in the uk change hands every year can we work out how much revenue this will now generate for the part tax months I sell a vehicle the first week of June they will not refund me June the new keeper will need to tax the vehicle from the beginning of June the DVLA gets 2 months road tax revenue?
CosKev3

posted on 28/8/14 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
No overlap to allow you to drive home on the day from what I've read.
The seller has to inform the dvla when they sell the car, not when the dvla receive v5, so I presume its going to be a automated 24hours a day system.
once the seller has told the dvla the car is sold the new owner has to tax it straight away, if they drive it home without taxing they are breaking the law and will be fined if caught.

CosKev3

posted on 28/8/14 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Also has anyone actually seen info to say it will still be calendar month to calendar month?

Or will it be month to month from the date you purchase the vehicle?

Slimy38

posted on 28/8/14 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Also has anyone actually seen info to say it will still be calendar month to calendar month?

Or will it be month to month from the date you purchase the vehicle?

I'm fairly sure one of the direct.gov web pages says it's still a calendar month system. So there will be 3 million 'double months' of tax, nice little earner eh?!

Having 12 months T&T used to be a good selling point, but I suppose if tax is done monthly then the new owner won't have to stump up a few hundred quid alongside his/her new car price.

DW100

posted on 28/8/14 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
I guess it is a step toward reducing the number of cars that are bought as being taxed and MOTed but then never registered or insured in the new keepers name. They then don't give a damn about parking tickets and speeding fines, insurance or being banned from driving etc.

The government will have to do a good job of publicising the changes or I can see a whole load of dodgy car traders telling people it has 12 months Tax knowing it will automatically be refunded to them. This also co-insides with not issuing tax discs.

[Edited on 28/8/14 by DW100]

v8kid

posted on 28/8/14 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The seller has to inform the dvla when they sell the car, not when the dvla receive v5, so I presume its going to be a automated 24hours a day system.
once the seller has told the dvla the car is sold the new owner has to tax it straight away, if they drive it home without taxing they are breaking the law and will be fined if caught.

I read it differently that the DVLA had to be informed via a V5 which can still be posted. That means the vehicle will still be taxed until V5 received giving the buyer plenty of time to contact DVLA.

Cheers

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CosKev3

posted on 28/8/14 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
quote:

I read it differently that the DVLA had to be informed via a V5 which can still be posted. That means the vehicle will still be taxed until V5 received giving the buyer plenty of time to contact DVLA.

Cheers

Where did you read that?

As a quick search reveals:

'From 1 October, when you buy a vehicle, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle. You will need to get new vehicle tax before you can use the vehicle.'

v8kid

posted on 28/8/14 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cheers

Where did you read that?

'From 1 October, when you buy a vehicle, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle. You will need to get new vehicle tax before you can use the vehicle.'

Yup but the point is until the V5 is received by DVLA ownership has not been transferred as far as DVLA is concerned. So you have to get home faster than the postie can deliver

Cheers

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ben_Copeland

posted on 28/8/14 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Its a huge money making scam.

They steal the rest of the month of tax off you and charge the new owner a whole months tax. So basically if you sell a car mid month the DVLA gain a whole months tax... half from each owner.

Your supposed to tax it online as soon as you buy a car and they'll do away with the paper tax disc as its all online now anyway. Saving them even more money, not having to print tax discs.

[Edited on 28/8/14 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

britishtrident

posted on 28/8/14 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
It really has not been thought through properly, some countries have a combine temporary tax and insurance scheme to allow to move a vehicle that isn't taxed a bit one day private trade plates.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

ashg

posted on 28/8/14 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
it would make more sense for the insurance company to collect road tax at time of insuring then its all done in one hit simples. change car, they recalculate the insurance and the difference you owe or are owed in tax, job done

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Slimy38

posted on 28/8/14 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashg
it would make more sense for the insurance company to collect road tax at time of insuring then its all done in one hit simples. change car, they recalculate the insurance and the difference you owe or are owed in tax, job done

Nah, just add it to fuel, it has the added bonus of taxing those with inefficient cars or high mileage users. Having it done by the insurance company would either require us to have one single insurance company, or (heaven forbid) the insurance companies might have to start working together.

CosKev3

posted on 28/8/14 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cosKev3
quote:
quote:

Cheers

Where did you read that?

Yup but the point is until the V5 is received by DVLA ownership has not been transferred as far as DVLA is concerned. So you have to get home faster than the postie can deliver

Cheers

You are the new owner as soon as you pay for the car/take it away from the garage/prev owner.

Nothing to do with the dvla receiving the v5, the v5 is just the registered keeper.

Taken from the Gov website:

Buying a vehicle
From 1 October, when you buy a vehicle, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle. You will need to get new vehicle tax before you can use the vehicle.

You can tax the vehicle using the New Keeper Supplement (V5C/2) part of the vehicle registration certificate (V5C) online or by using our automated phone service - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

[Edited on 28/8/14 by CosKev3]

austin man

posted on 28/8/14 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
I bet if you purchase the car mid month they will still charge a full month, its a good concept but in real terms a means of making more from the car user. Best thing is to purchase on the last day of the month or the first of the month. I will be highly surprised if the system can handle all the cancellations and renewals. I foresee a catastrophic fail coming tbh. They cant even get passports right and theyve not even changed that

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

v8kid

posted on 29/8/14 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Buying a vehicle
From 1 October, when you buy a vehicle, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle. You will need to get new vehicle tax before you can use the vehicle.

You can tax the vehicle using the New Keeper Supplement (V5C/2) part of the vehicle registration certificate (V5C) online or by using our automated phone service - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

[Edited on 28/8/14 by CosKev3]

Just saying how I read it. The quote you chose gives the option "or" so I would choose to take the first option and not register my ownership until I got home.

You are welcome to do it your way I'm not trying to persuade you otherwise

Cheers!

CosKev3

posted on 29/8/14 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
It doesn't state 'or' when we receive the V5 does it!!!!

It says before you 'use' the vehicle

Pretty clear imo

The Black Flash

posted on 30/8/14 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
But how will they know???
Buy car, drive home, it's still taxed so won't show up on any system anywhere, nor will anyone know that it's been sold until you tell the DVLA. So unless you get physically stopped and they check the owner, I can't see how they'd possibly know?

renetom

posted on 31/8/14 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
tax

Another indirect way of screwing us yet again.
and helping those who don't pay car tax.

Slimy38

posted on 31/8/14 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Black Flash
Buy car, drive home, it's still taxed so won't show up on any system anywhere, nor will anyone know that it's been sold until you tell the DVLA. So unless you get physically stopped and they check the owner, I can't see how they'd possibly know?

What if the previous owner phones the automated service to make sure he gets as much refund as possible? Or if you buy it off a garage (who are unlikely to keep cars taxed)?

CosKev3

posted on 31/8/14 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Black Flash

Owners are now required to let DVLA know as soon as the car is sold via the 24hour automated phone line.suppose it all depends if the seller is willing to risk getting fined if the buyer has a accident/is pulled over etc on there drive home?

What happens if I sell my car?

You can get a refund from the DVLA for any full calendar months left on the car tax.

Even if you're not due a refund, make sure you tell the DVLA if you sell your car. Failure to do this means you could face a fine of up to £1,000. You'll also remain responsible for taxing the vehicle you no longer own and you'll have to pay any fines the buyer may clock up.

I thought tax was transferred from seller to buyer?

It was – but no longer. Transfers have been abolished. From 1 October car buyers will need to tax their new vehicle before they drive it home.

bigfoot4616

posted on 31/8/14 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
where does it say you have to do it by phone, i wont be wasting a phone call on them when the documents will need sending anyway.

check online a car is taxed before you go to view, then you know it will still be taxed on the system for the drive home.

its a risk i would happily take.

CosKev3

posted on 31/8/14 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bigfoot4616
where does it say you have to do it by phone, i wont be wasting a phone call on them when the documents will need sending anyway.

check online a car is taxed before you go to view, then you know it will still be taxed on the system for the drive home.

its a risk i would happily take.

Pretty clear in the quote I've already put up on page 2, incase you didn't see it its below

Buying a vehicle 

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.