Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Screw type axle stands recommendations please!
jps

posted on 31/8/14 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Screw type axle stands recommendations please!

I'd like to get some axle stands that allow for fine tuning of position, but am struggling to find something sufficiently 'locost'...

I've found these on eBay:Aluminium Axle Stands 4x Caravan Car Van Vehicle Lifting Balancing Frame Garage

But am not sure if they'll be any good when they arrive... Does anyone have experience of these? Or recommendations for any others?

mcerd1

posted on 1/9/14 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
what are you going to use these for ?

if its for lifting the car would you not be better with a pair of steel trestles ?

[Edited on 1/9/2014 by mcerd1]

-

jps

posted on 1/9/14 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
what are you going to use these for ?

if its for lifting the car would you not be better with a pair of steel trestles ?

[Edited on 1/9/2014 by mcerd1]

aligning my engine / gearbox in my chassis. I will support the engine from underneath - but will want to get the output of the gearbox pointing squarely at the diff. Being able to subtly move the chassis seems easiest solution - i just need something that supports each corner of the chassis and allow me to tweak it up and down...

Slimy38

posted on 1/9/14 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to work the other way, have an engine hoist holding the bulk of the engine weight from above and them shim against the chassis to fine tune. Is there a reason why you want to go from underneath?
Canada EH!

posted on 1/9/14 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
I have those for my small caravan and there is no way I would crawl under there when they are supporting the caravan. The threads on the screws are not well made and hard to adjust with a load on them
jps

posted on 1/9/14 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I was going to work the other way, have an engine hoist holding the bulk of the engine weight from above and them shim against the chassis to fine tune. Is there a reason why you want to go from underneath?

I find the engine seems to settle where it wants when on the hoist, and it's then hard to position precisely...

mcerd1

posted on 1/9/14 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
have you tried supporting it on something like a table that almost high enough - then using wooden blocks and or metal strips as shims to fine tune its position ?

-

Slimy38

posted on 1/9/14 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

I find the engine seems to settle where it wants when on the hoist, and it's then hard to position precisely...

Agreed, I definitely found that when I was lifting the engine out of the donor! But I'm only using it to carry it while I settle it on the chassis. I'm imagining having the hoist carry the bulk of the engine weight, such that the gearbox end can be pretty much lifted by hand. I can then take my time to put it into position, using spare bits of metal to set it into exactly where I want it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.