Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone tow with a big petrol?
daniel mason

posted on 14/9/14 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone tow with a big petrol?

Am still on the lookout for a tow car and as yearly mileage is relatively low at 6-7k I'm considering a petrol instead due to hearing bad things regarding modern diesels.
I was looking at various diesels like accords,avensis,kias etc but they all seem seriously flawed. I was surprised to hear of the clutch and dmf problems on the Hondas with huge repair bills!
This got me looking at luxury petrol saloons and I stumbled across a few 3.0 lexus gs300 with low mileage (<50k) and pretty much all the toys. From reading on line reports,it seems that apart from a few interior rattles they are pretty much bullet proof!
Anyone have any experience with these cars? Cheers

Sam_68

posted on 14/9/14 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
If you're doing relatively limited mileage, why not do the job properly and get something like a Range Rover?

I've got a 4.6 petrol P38, and it is a superb towing car, thanks to the torque, the weight and the self-levelling air suspension... providing you can live with the 16mpg (towing)/19mpg (general) fuel consumption.

JoelP

posted on 14/9/14 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
If you don't want to risk fragile modern diesels, why not get a low mileage 10 year old diesel? Would be hugely more economical than a large petrol, and conveniently you'd also save thousands on the purchase price! Get a family wagon rather than an ex rep car.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

austin man

posted on 14/9/14 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Leus returns around 27 mpg witout towing look for one with a gas conversion. Im looking at a Kia Sportage at the minute, Currently have a T% transporter 1.9 and its excellent for towing (after the remap) the DPF's are a problem on diesels especially if they are not getting the mileage

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

JoelP

posted on 14/9/14 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
7k miles at 20mpg is £2.5k, so you could realistically save a grand a year on fuel.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

daniel mason

posted on 14/9/14 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
As for the range rover It would take me over the 3500kg limit and finding a good spec low mileage diesel with reliability is tough. I had seen a few 3.0d bmw's with under 70k but I'd imagine once things do start going wrong it will hit the pocket hard. Should have said kerb weight needs to be under 2t if possible

Sam_68

posted on 14/9/14 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
As for the range rover It would take me over the 3500kg limit ...

Fair point if you haven't been driving all that long... when did you pass your test?

I'm allowed up to 8.25 tonnes for the combo (though the kerb weight of the RR plus its maximum recommended towing weight would only total 5,720kg), 'cos I passed my test before 1997.

austin man

posted on 14/9/14 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
My t5 transporter had 176k on it and only started to have problems at 196 k so nor too bad for an old diesel

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

phelpsa

posted on 14/9/14 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
As for the range rover It would take me over the 3500kg limit and finding a good spec low mileage diesel with reliability is tough. I had seen a few 3.0d bmw's with under 70k but I'd imagine once things do start going wrong it will hit the pocket hard. Should have said kerb weight needs to be under 2t if possible

Take the test and buy a proper tow car

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 14/9/14 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Dan

You're taking far too long over this

Every make and model has its foibles and weak spots. Set a budget, set a distance and see what's available at the time you want to buy. At your price point, buy on condition and history not specific age and make our model.

britishtrident

posted on 14/9/14 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Gas conversion on a Lexus is not a good idea, as with most Japanese cars the higher exhaust temperature of LPG is just enough to trigger valve recession.
The partial work around is to fit a system that injects a vavle seat protecting upper cylinder lubricant into the inlet manifold, which adds to conversion costs and more than you might think the running costs.

[Edited on 14/9/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Slimy38

posted on 14/9/14 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
You can buy my car if you want, it's a 2001 2.3 SEAT Toledo. In it's day it was given a 'top tower' award!

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/archive/1999/10/27/6634939.Toledo_named_top_tower/?ref=arc

It doesn't actually have a towbar, but one can be fitted.

daniel mason

posted on 14/9/14 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
I'm ready to buy now,but don't want to make a bad buy!

raplma

posted on 14/9/14 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Might seem a dumb question and maybe I have missed a previous post, but what are you planning on towing?

Anyway my two pennith worth

If it's your kitcar on a trailer the choice is massive, but there is a chance you'll be towing weight such as an 8 meter twin axle Coachman Caravan then realistically your choice is 4x4 or van, there are plenty of cars that have the power it's the weight and control of the weight you need. We've all seen the results when the tail wags the dog. I seem to remember an old rule of thumb that the total weight of what you tow should not exceed 75% of the tow vehicle, that's probably different today.

I grew up caravanning and still do today and had many tow vehicles. The 4x4's have been the best for control and ease of towing by far, although if you buy an auto find out where the gear change is set because last month I borrowed a Kia Sorrento, the mk1 3.5ltr petrol which has the higher torque, the auto box changed around the 60mph limit, so on the motorway it kept "hunting" and if you didn't keep it about 63mph it would settle in 2nd gear (3 speed box) and mpg was 15 had the same issue with a older 4.2 Jag XJ6 that was 11 mpg. The Amazons and Shoguns we had were also gas guzzlers, the worst as in single mpg figures was a petrol Jeep Cherokee.

I have towed with two P38 Range Rovers, one had the gas conversion, I am not a fan of towing weight on gas, even with the multipoint sequential system we blew an engine with the gas jets pretty much punching holes into the block, this could well have been an installation error, who knows, those engines were renown for being poor anyway, there is also less power on gas.

On the Range Rovers and Land Rovers we used, we fitted a Dixon Bate Shocklink which is a height adjustable tow hitch with two inbuilt shock absorbers, this was a great invention it almost eradicated the pitching you get from bumpy roads and makes long distance towing far less tiring, you barely knew the vans were on the back and we used to do a 700 mile in one go trek to the North of Scotland.

Having just read your previous post, I seem to be barking up the wrong tree, you're after lighter options, sorry, anyway might as well post seeing I've written it

Enjoy the hunt

JPSC Forum - A dedicated forum for discussion on all things relating to Jeremy Phillips designed cars
Including the Star, Leader, Striker, Phoenix, Fury, Jester, Stylus, Mojo, Riot, J15 & Vectis

mookaloid

posted on 15/9/14 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
I tow with my Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3 turbo auto. Copes very well

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

40inches

posted on 15/9/14 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
I tow with my Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3 turbo auto. Copes very well

So does mine And mines the Estate so room in the back for a bed and a workshop

renetom

posted on 15/9/14 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
towcar

Have a look at these
jeep cherokee 2.7 diesel
pick one up really cheap & voted one of the 10 safest cars.

Jeep
Jeep

dhutch

posted on 15/9/14 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
I tow with a BMW E63 compact 316i, its not overly powerful given the kitcars trailer is large square edged enclosed box trailer... but there's nothing wrong with towing with a petrol per say.

Went down to Devon and back this weekend with a sailing dingy, similar size/drag than a seven type on a single axle if a bit lighter, barely any noticeable change in fuel consumption.

Daniel

[Edited on 15/9/2014 by dhutch]

mark chandler

posted on 15/9/14 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
I towed my locost with an XK8 for a couple of years towed perfectly but running at higher speeds it would wear the inside of the rear tyres away due to squat under load, at 60moph it was fine

Best car was a 4.6 range rover, you would not have known it was attracted and you could sleep in the back as well

Trollyjack

posted on 15/9/14 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Daniel
I tow with my Merc C180 Kompressor Estate Auto it towed mine to cadwell fine for my 1st track day.
Car weighs around 530kg about the same as the twin wheeled trailer.
Normal around town I get around 35mpg up to 45 on a long run.
Towing it dropped to around 25mpg.

Loads of room in car for gear.

TrollyJack

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 15/9/14 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Something like a Hilux Surf 3 litre D? 24mpg all day long, towing or not, air con or not. Wont even know you are towing.

Volvorsport

posted on 18/9/14 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
buy my volvo for 250 quid.

taxed , mot'd.

at that price just , use it a second car .

max tow weight 1500kg.

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

dhutch

posted on 18/9/14 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
buy my volvo

Link/Spec?

daniel mason

posted on 18/9/14 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
I'm selling my volvo s60 d5 for something a bit bigger. Has a few minor issues but been 100% reliable for me in over 2 years.

rdodger

posted on 19/9/14 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
I tow with swmbo's petrol 2.0T Saab 9-3 Auto Estate. Otherwise known as the Dog car!

I just averaged 27mpg from Manchester to Zolder and back and you barely notice the trailer is there. Day to day does 31mpg.

It was cheap to buy, has been very cheap to run (apart from Road Tax) and is well specced.

9-5 might be better if you need a bigger car.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.