Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: pinto given new lease of life, but...
vindicator

posted on 18/9/14 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
pinto given new lease of life, but...

Hello All,

Just after some advice on my Pinto (1985) 2L injection engine with a slight kangaroo problem.

2 months ago I saw my oil pressure sink to just under 20 on the dial. So I took off the sump and replaced the oil pump that showed a lot of wear. At the same time I was aware that the cam shaft was also worn after the value guides were done a year ago.

So a Newmans (PH2) fast road cam (for injection engine) was installed (the old one's lobs were all worn). Everything has been going well except when the car kangaroo's between 1600-1800 revs in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th not to bad, 5th ok. This car does not do it when it powers through the band, but more when it sticks in the 1600-1800 band for some time and it happens more or less instant as it gets in the band.

To get rid of it I just depress the clutch/let it out and then power through the band or change to a lower gear if de-accelerating.....

I just don't know enough as to what could be causing this to happen in the band range.

Has anyone got any ideas what I need to do to get rid of the kangarooing.....

regards

TimR

timr.spaces.live.com---build blog

Andy S

posted on 18/9/14 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Could be many different things what have you checked yourself.

twybrow

posted on 18/9/14 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Given the change in cams there are a few things to consider:

1. Is the timing set correctly for that cam? Could it have changed during the change?
2. Has the new cam changed the fueling requirements, particularly as you noted the old one was worn (less lift)?

Can you get a wide band afr sensor in your zorst, and measure the afr at the problem point?

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 18/9/14 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
are you on carbs or injection, have you changed the fuelling or timing
It has to be either timing, fuel or Cam

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

jollygreengiant

posted on 18/9/14 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
If injection and still on the Ford original injection then I might suspect the fueling and the airflow flapper. Got to a garage and see what the CO reading is at idle. IF excessively high, then I suspect that the spring in the flapper needs resetting (covered elsewhere on this forum by me in previous post, just do a search).

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

vindicator

posted on 18/9/14 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All,

Thanks for the advice given so far. Yes it is Injection and using the original ford injection stuff.

We have of course had to take the head off to get the original cam out, so new head gasket, new bolts, new spark leads, plugs were ok and gaps checked. Cam bearing were ok as there was no play what so ever after we inserted the new cam shaft in. Aligned the cam shaft and bottom pulley and started the engine. Moved the distributor fractions at a time, to get the right timing, by listening to engine sound and blip-ping the throttle. The acceleration does not have any flat spots, coughs or running lumpy at all and goes like stink upto to 70mph on the motorway faster than before.

At the weekend I'll look at the airflow flapper in the air intake. I'll take a look at the plugs and check the colour. Fuel has not been changed as I am still using the original ford ecu. I'll also get the timing light out and re-check the timing.

I'll let you know how I get on...

Regards

TimR

timr.spaces.live.com---build blog

jollygreengiant

posted on 18/9/14 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
Here you go, I did the search for you. just follow the link, its about the fourth one down. Linky dinky

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

snapper

posted on 19/9/14 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Full valve lift at 110 degrees so I'm not sure just setting cam timing to original Ford settings is correct
Plus no mention of injection on the Newman cams website and the duration is 284 much more than the normal injection cams such as Kent FR34

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

mark chandler

posted on 19/9/14 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
The wipers in the flappy box wear so clean the tracks, if still doing it try winding up or loosening the clockwork spring until it goes right.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.