Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Using a Cat C donor - help needed
ste

posted on 25/9/14 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Using a Cat C donor - help needed

Has anyone had any experience with using a cat c donor car that hasn't been vic checked prior to stripping?

I have quite a bit of experience with cat c cars so I understand the system for putting them back on the road.

But I am using a Cat C MX5 for my current Haynes Roadster. the car was written off due to a dented bonnet and broken headlight, I got it from a salvage auction the week before christmas for £125 and it ran beautifully so changed from sierra/puma donors to sierra/mx5.

Regarding the points system, I meet all the requirements for age related plate from the MX5 but do not have the V5 due to the Cat C

I've tried asking DVLA what the score is but no one there new the answer and just said see what happens when I put the paperwork in.

Anyone know more than those guys?

Davedew

posted on 25/9/14 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
I did the same thing with my Haynes Roadster, but using a cat c Sierra.
Didn't have V5, but had enough points etc just the same as you.
Ended up getting a Q plate when registered in May this year.

I wasn't bothered what I got so long as it got registered.

Davey D

posted on 26/9/14 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
If you dont have the V5, then you dont have proof of the vehicle donor. In this case i would presume you will get a Q plate, as the car would be made from parts of an undeterminable age?
steve m

posted on 26/9/14 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Why don't you apply for the V5 for the Cat c ?
as you own the car, and its an easy process,

Ive done it twice, and on my current car, it took less than 2 weeks

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

ste

posted on 30/9/14 at 05:20 AM Reply With Quote
Doesn't work like that for a cat c i'm afraid. The car needs a VIC before you can get the V5 and seeing as it's in bits i've no chance.

Your car is either on the road illegally or was a cat d and therefore didn't have the v5 surrendered

Quoted from http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/vehicle-identity-check-vic

quote:

A Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) marker
The VIC scheme has been introduced to help reduce vehicle crime. It is intended to discourage criminals from disguising stolen cars with the identity of written off or scrapped vehicles.

When an insurance company writes off a car within salvage categories A, B or C, the registration certificate (V5C document) is surrendered to them at the time of a claim being made and destroyed by them.

The insurance company will then notify the Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency, Swansea (DVLA) that the vehicle has been written off and this will set a marker on the vehicle record. If a vehicle is subsequently repaired with the intention of returning the vehicle to the road, DVLA will not issue a new registration document or vehicle excise duty license until the car passes a VIC.

The VIC is designed to help confirm that the vehicle being returned to the road is what it purports to be and not a stolen or substitute vehicle.

matt_claydon

posted on 30/9/14 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
If it's going to take you more than a year to finish the car, don't worry - VIC tests will end in Oct 2015:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fraud-check-cut-set-to-save-motorists-money

So after then I assume you will just be able to apply for the V5.

steve m

posted on 30/9/14 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ste
Doesn't work like that for a cat c i'm afraid. The car needs a VIC before you can get the V5 and seeing as it's in bits i've no chance.

Your car is either on the road illegally or was a cat d and therefore didn't have the v5 surrendered

Quoted from http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/vehicle-identity-check-vic

quote:

A Vehicle Identity Check (VIC) marker
The VIC scheme has been introduced to help reduce vehicle crime. It is intended to discourage criminals from disguising stolen cars with the identity of written off or scrapped vehicles.

When an insurance company writes off a car within salvage categories A, B or C, the registration certificate (V5C document) is surrendered to them at the time of a claim being made and destroyed by them.

The insurance company will then notify the Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency, Swansea (DVLA) that the vehicle has been written off and this will set a marker on the vehicle record. If a vehicle is subsequently repaired with the intention of returning the vehicle to the road, DVLA will not issue a new registration document or vehicle excise duty license until the car passes a VIC.

The VIC is designed to help confirm that the vehicle being returned to the road is what it purports to be and not a stolen or substitute vehicle.

I must of been lucky then, as ive never needed a vic and just apply for the V5 , and had them both within a couple of weeks
both cars were advertised on copart as cat c, and on the receipts
however, I only buy cars with panel damage, and so far none have had any other damage, ie suspension etc

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

ste

posted on 30/9/14 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a few from copart where they have listed it a s a cat c then when i got it home and checked for the vic marker it was a cat d. You haven't got a log book for a cat c by just applying for a new one, the car won't have been a c.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.