Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can we remove our tax discs on Wednesday?
morcus

posted on 29/9/14 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Can we remove our tax discs on Wednesday?

Just a quick one but do we no longer have to display existing tax discs this week or is it when the current one runs out? I'm not planning on moving it as it's out of my eye line but on some of my other cars I'd have wanted it gone soon as.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

kingster996

posted on 29/9/14 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I'm actually getting a new car tomorrow and as such asked if I'd have a disc or not. The answer was that "technically" I would have one for a day then not need to display from Wednesday. But apparently when you get a spanking new motor, you have some leeway with tax discs and can go without for 14 days to give time for one to be processed (so they said), therefore it would probably not have one.

So in answer, yes tear it up on Wednesday

[Edited on 29/9/14 by kingster996]

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

ste

posted on 29/9/14 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Don't tear it up, as if you need to sell the car you will need to redeem the leftovers of the disc!
rayward

posted on 29/9/14 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
no you wont by the looks of things, following a discussion with the lady at the post office today ,

when you send the V5 in for change of keeper , you'll get a refund automatically .

hope this helps
Ray

Slimy38

posted on 29/9/14 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rayward
no you wont by the looks of things, following a discussion with the lady at the post office today ,

when you send the V5 in for change of keeper , you'll get a refund automatically .

hope this helps
Ray

Yep, that's how I understand it, the piece of paper becomes completely useless. I might keep mine as a memento of simpler times...

Frustratingly, I am selling a car at the moment, and if I don't sell it in a day or so I'm going to have to take the price of the tax off the car. And I'm fairly sure the DVLA will screw me over.

blakep82

posted on 29/9/14 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
I got a new one at the start of september, printed on normal a4, with a colour printer (they ran out of proper tax discs) and i'm sure it said that I didn't actually have to display it then? Can't remember, it went in anyway, and it'll probably stay well after it expires. Just because

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

posted on 30/9/14 at 05:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
I got a new one at the start of september, printed on normal a4, with a colour printer (they ran out of proper tax discs) and i'm sure it said that I didn't actually have to display it then? Can't remember, it went in anyway, and it'll probably stay well after it expires. Just because

If there was a "LIKE" button on this forum I would press it

Paul G

Ben_Copeland

posted on 30/9/14 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
My tax disc lives in the garage. So don't make much difference to me lol

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

nick205

posted on 30/9/14 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Mine will be straight out and in the glove box until it expires.

CosKev3

posted on 30/9/14 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rayward

hope this helps
Ray

be about right fir the robbing twa*s.

so they expect you as the seller to ring the 24hour automated phone number when you sell a vehicle, which then means the buyer by law needs to tax the car to drive it home.
so if this was near the end of a month and they didn't receive your v5 till just into the following month you will lose that months refund

loggyboy

posted on 30/9/14 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
so if this was near the end of a month and they didn't receive your v5 till just into the following month you will lose that months refund

Providing you get it postmarked/franked the before the beginning of the month they will use that as the date of last use.

Mistral Motorsport

richardm6994

posted on 30/9/14 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
my new car arrived on Friday and the deal dropped off the tax disc earlier today (printed on A4 paper).

The DVLA Letter that comes with the tax disc states the following;

"From the 1 October 2014 the vehicle tax tisc is being abolished, after that date you will no longer need to display a tax disc on any vehicle you may own"

It also states re selling the car;
"The new rules being introduced on the 1 October 2014 will mean that if you are selling a vehicle, the tax is no longer transferred. The buyer will need to tax it before they use it. When you sell your vehicle you will not need to apply for a refund, DVLA will automatically issue you with a refund of any full months of vehicle tax remaining, once you have notified DVLA that you are no longer the registered keeper."

So my the new tax disc I received today won't even make it to the car!!!

alistairolsen

posted on 30/9/14 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Fundamentally it means whenever you sell a car you get a refund from the end of the map and the new buyer pays from the start and they pocket a double month.

The whole things a bloody shambles, they should have smeared 4p/litre onto fuel and then binned the whole lot as it serves NO purpose whatsoever.

My Build Thread

02GF74

posted on 30/9/14 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^
Rxactly. Feel sorry for them chinese sweatshop workers putting together tax disc holders plus i end up with five 4 mm holes in my lh miniscreen.... so i guess my disc stays

Johneturbo

posted on 30/9/14 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
My tax disc lives in the garage. So don't make much difference to me lol

Mine has always lived in my wallet due to lack of windsreen, so now my PTWR will be better

baz-R

posted on 4/10/14 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
and i wanted one of thease

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.