Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Table
designer

posted on 30/9/14 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Table

I know it's been asked before, but.

I'm after a tablet for the Mrs, for her holidays.

Don't want to spend a fortune, prefer 9in over 7in, and all I need is to do Emails, read books (like a kindle) and do a bit of surfing.

Most technical things I read are gobbledegook to me. I know I need WiFi; do I need Bluetooth?

Anyone, any suggestions?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave_424

posted on 30/9/14 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
I was just in your position a few days ago, These were the best ones that were cheap, they all have a not so great resolution screen. I wanted to use it mostly for PDF reading for university lecure notes so just bought an ipad 3 used for £200 with a retina hd display. Possibly the better option if you can stretch your budget

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cheapest-Android-KitKat-QUAD-CORE-BLUETOOTH/dp/B00JABR3A0/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1412103706&sr=1-2& ;keywords=10.1+tablet

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ANDROID-4-4-KITKAT-QUAD-CORE-BLUETOOTH/dp/B00IUXI7HM/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1412103706&sr=1-3&keyw ords=10.1+tablet

tims31

posted on 30/9/14 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
I got a used Nexus 7 Tablet (32GB) from flea bay for £62 really good condition and works great. Loads to choose from just make sure they haven't been dropped or have a cracked screen.

It's also great to use if you have a Bluetooth OBDII reader and the free program Torque to read your ECU

[Edited on 30/9/14 by tims31]

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

matt_gsxr

posted on 30/9/14 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
nook is a 9inch tablet. from Morgan computers is about £70.

If you put cyanogenmod version of Android on then it gets rid of the Barnes and Noble stuff and is great.

No camera, no gps, nice screen.

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

ken555

posted on 1/10/14 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Tesco Hudl and then use your double "clubcard" points vouchers to pay for it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Chris_Xtreme

posted on 1/10/14 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a fusion 5 extra for 80/90 quid a while back... didn't really need one as such, wanted something for the toddlers to play with that I could risk getting broken and to have a play with android before I got a android phone for megabucks.

does have kitkat which is good.. no custom recovery, so you are stuck with what you get re the OS. Can be rooted , there is an xda developers thread on it, however I get the feel that may not be something you are after!

be wary that some of the chinese ones, inc the fusion 5 extra seem to have stuff on them that use chinese services, cloud type stuff, which I ripped out after rooting.

the big let down ish is the screen, the res may be good enough, and if you are in front of the screen good enough, but as soon as you move away from direct line it goes bad very quickly and is very hard work outside due to the glossy screen. my playbook was a million times better for the screen.

for reading in the sun, I would say you can't beat a kindle type thing with the epaper.

I would suggest a branded tablet, and now they are cheaper a nexus would be a good choice as it will probably be kept up to date.. and the screens will be much better. worth every penny.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.