Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Newbie saying Hello!
dome

posted on 20/10/14 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Newbie saying Hello!

Hi guys

Thought I'd say Hello-this forum seems as good as any a place to start.

Having moved to my first house with a garage the notion of a kit car to fettle with is growing strong.

Budget is limited and whilst my mechanical skills are good my fabrication abilities are less so.

The though of taking on a part built project appeals to me and I have seen one I'm interested in.

However, the thought of the IVA is what puts me off. The car I have seen has no paperwork and has never been on the road. It's a Stuart Taylor Motorsport chassis which gives me some hope.

I will do my homework on here as much as I can but would appreciate any pointers-specifically, would an older (part) built car have any specific issues as the IVA would not have been around when this car was originally started.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to getting myself something 7 shaped...

Brian

joneh

posted on 21/10/14 at 05:54 AM Reply With Quote
As with any near completed project you'll find that you'll strip it down and start putting it back together again. Which will take longer than a new kit

I've got a 10 year old fisher and as I've started stripping I've found things like suspension bolts, fuel line, seat belts, brakes, dash etc to be non iva friendly. Some I knew about when buying some I didn't. But it's all part of the fun! Use the search on here too, most IVA questions will have been asked.

Welcome to the madhouse!

hkp57

posted on 21/10/14 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Brian
Welcome, there are a lot of what look like bargin part builds out there that can save you a lot of money. I doubt it will save much time because as proeviously said you will end up taking it apart again but thats the fun.

Age of a kit should have no real bearing on the IVA requirements provided you follow the book, download the latest version and then break you project into managable bites, don't try and do everything at once. Do one job then move to the next.

If you want IVA advice pop down to Scottish Kit Car Centre and speak to Andy.

Fleet
SKC Raptor R - Hayabusa
Toyota C-HR Hybrid Limited Edition
Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
DCT
Marlin Roadster 1800
Mercedes Vito 116 Sport

dome

posted on 21/10/14 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice guys.

I'd spotted the Kit Car Centre and was going to speak to them, they're pretty close to me and could be good to know.

I'll download the IVA manual and do my homework.

Cheers

Brian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.