Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How do single-wire senders work?
HappyFather

posted on 25/10/14 at 01:28 AM Reply With Quote
How do single-wire senders work?

Dear all,

One of the reasons I decided to build the kit was to learn mechanics and how things work. Electrics has been the biggest witchcraft of all. I was used only to home electrics, which are easy, and the car ones... I built the car with a loom I bought.

I would like to ask if someone is patient enough to explain me how single-wire senders work. For instance, I have a water-temp sensor. There is only one wire that connects to it. Then I linked the body of the sender to the chassis, for earth. How does that work, how does the reading reach my Digidash?

Thank you very much for any explanation! Kind regards,
HappyFather

wylliezx9r

posted on 25/10/14 at 04:07 AM Reply With Quote
I was trying to explain it but gave up so here's an extract from Wikipedia. You have already answered the question yourself sort of, there isn't a single connection, the body of the sensor is acting as a neutral/earth :

Types of sensor

As the sensor's temperature changes, its resistance changes accordingly. Depending on the type of sensor, the resistance will either increase or decrease.

In negative temperature coefficient (NTC) sensors, the internal resistance will decrease as the temperature rises (and vice versa).
In a positive temperature coefficient (PTC) sensor, the opposite is true. Its resistance will increase with rising temperature.

Most automotive coolant temperature sensors are NTC sensors.
Operation

The ECU sends out a regulated reference voltage (typically 9 volts) to the coolant temperature sensor. The voltage drop across the sensor will change according to the temperature because its resistance changes. The ECU is then able to calculate the temperature of the engine, and then (with inputs from other engine sensors) uses lookup tables to carry out adjustments to the engine actuators, i.e. change the fuel injection or ignition timing.

This is necessary because in order to run smoothly, a cold engine requires different timing and fuel mixture than an engine at operating temperature.

[Edited on 25/10/14 by wylliezx9r]

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

snowy2

posted on 25/10/14 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
the vehicle chassis is the second wire......never forget thet the whole car is one part of the circuit.

Take a look at an article i wrote a few years ago and is posted to here on the subject of wiring your car,

Wiring your car

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

snowy2

posted on 25/10/14 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
but your question......mostly the sensors are resistors which vary with temperature as the vehicle warms up the resistance changes and the sensor will allow more or less current to flow depending on temp. this is then read on the guage.

HappyFather

posted on 29/10/14 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you very much all for the replies!
And a special thank you to Snowy2 for that document because it probably will answer other questions I'll have in the future when I start mod'ing (namely to get a cig lighter in to charge the phone/GPS).

After reading Snowy2's document and see using chock blocks for the dash I though of all the hours I spend crimping spade males and females on the loom and digidash cables... Why didn't I think of that?!? It would have saved me many hours...

snowy2

posted on 29/10/14 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
I have taken some heat over recommending using chock blocks however in all the years I have been wiring kit cars (since 1988) they tend to be more reliable connectors.

[Edited on 29/10/14 by snowy2]

MikeRJ

posted on 29/10/14 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snowy2
I have taken some heat over recommending using chock blocks
#

Not surprising, they are the devils own work. If you see choc blocks in car wiring then I know to expect the worst.

Non custom

posted on 29/10/14 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
I agree ^^ what's wrong with a good ok soldering iron and some heat shrink , and proper joints when needed (spade clips still a bodge IMHO ))
snowy2

posted on 29/10/14 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Ah yes but if you actually read the article you will see that I sugest other methods how ever I have never had a chock block connection described above fail. Where as no end of bullet and spade connectors have failed.
Since I am actually a qualified car electrician and speak from experience you can decide what you like about advise ofered. But chock blocks are better than many methods and harder to do incorrectly.
When I look at some cars at the shows its obvious that 99% of the effort went in the bling And 1% on the electrics.
There is also an immense amount of nutsack in the kit car world often spouted by car assemblers as opposed to car builders. My advice is for those who want to build their car. Your at liberty to improve on any connector you like but the offerd advice is sound and works reliably.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.