Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Weber throttle return spring
bumpy

posted on 31/10/14 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Weber throttle return spring

Having got my 32/36 working over its full range I am finding that the throttle (cable) wont close off properly and sits at 1500 rpm until I stab the throttle pedal a couple of times.

Its in bits at the moment to be well lubricated and I have also found a way to add another spring, but its a bit of a bodge

I thought I would treat it to a new standard return spring which is 30 years old and probably weaker than it should. Can anyone help me locate one - I have done the normal E bay stuff.

Better still can anyone recommend a stronger version of the same spring?

Description
Description

[Edited on 31/10/14 by bumpy]

HowardB

posted on 31/10/14 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
is it the cable that needs stripped and lubricated? Had the same problem on my efi,....

just a thought,..

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Trollyjack

posted on 31/10/14 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Here you go Link
Try these but it may have been discontinued

[Edited on 31/10/14 by Trollyjack]

TrollyJack

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Angel Acevedo

posted on 31/10/14 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Couldn´t you try to Shorten it a bit, and bend new end?
This way you would gain some "springyness"
HTH

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bumpy

posted on 31/10/14 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
Couldn´t you try to Shorten it a bit, and bend new end?
This way you would gain some "springyness"
HTH

My knowledge of metallurgy is limited, but I'm not sure it would bend without being heated and then I don't know if it would retain it's spring like characteristics.

bumpy

posted on 31/10/14 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trollyjack
Here you go Link
Try these but it may have been discontinued

[Edited on 31/10/14 by Trollyjack]

Thanks for hunting that out, but its subtly different to mine, having one curved end and one flat. Whereas mine has two curved ends, which are also at different angles.

bumpy

posted on 31/10/14 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
is it the cable that needs stripped and lubricated? Had the same problem on my efi,....

just a thought,..

hth

Cleaned and lubricated the cable without any improvement Also re-routed it to give the gentlest sweep.

It seems that to stop it revving I have to put my foot under the throttle pedal and lift it a bit. Aside from a tiny spring on the Weber, it looks like the return spring I have shown is the only one, and its job seems also to have to lift the pedal, which it's sadly failing to do.

I think my pedal box was off the Sierra. Is it normal to have no return spring on the pedal itself?

SALAD

posted on 31/10/14 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
I have twin 40's and floor mounted pedals but have a look at the last photo in my archive (I can't resize photos at the mo).

It is a return I made for the pedal. The bulkhead/footwell goes in-between the two washers. Works brilliantly in conjunction with the two return springs on the carb linkage.

bumpy

posted on 31/10/14 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SALAD
I have twin 40's and floor mounted pedals but have a look at the last photo in my archive (I can't resize photos at the mo).

It is a return I made for the pedal. The bulkhead/footwell goes in-between the two washers. Works brilliantly in conjunction with the two return springs on the carb linkage.

I cant quite work out where you install that. It looks like it pushes rather than pulls, so does it attach to the lower part of the pedal, between pedal and bulkhead?

SALAD

posted on 31/10/14 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the clevis attaches to the pedal and the springs push against the bulkhead when you press the pedal, thus returning the pedal to it's normal position.

It is made of a nylock, a nut, two washers, spring, clevis and a piece of bar threaded at each end.

I'll take a picture of it in place next time I'm in the garage.

bumpy

posted on 31/10/14 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks
Chris

HowardB

posted on 31/10/14 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bumpy
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB

just a thought,..

hth

Cleaned and lubricated the cable without any improvement Also re-routed it to give the gentlest sweep.

It seems that to stop it revving I have to put my foot under the throttle pedal and lift it a bit. Aside from a tiny spring on the Weber, it looks like the return spring I have shown is the only one, and its job seems also to have to lift the pedal, which it's sadly failing to do.

I think my pedal box was off the Sierra. Is it normal to have no return spring on the pedal itself?

Ah, no,. a return spring on the pedal end would be a good plan

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.