Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mobile wifi gizmos. Advice needed please
steve8274

posted on 7/11/14 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Mobile wifi gizmos. Advice needed please

Hello all
After some advice from the collective.
I am looking to purchase a mobile wifi thing for my parents. They have a 3G tablet but at the moment aren't able to access the internet.
Was thinking of buying them one of those mobile wifi things but don't know if they work well or not.
Has anyone got one and can you recommend one. They don't need vast amounts of data.
Something where I could maybe just pay lump sum instead of monthly instalments. Can't be a USB dongle tho. Nowhere for it to fit in tablet.
Thanks in advance

loggyboy

posted on 7/11/14 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
If the tablets 3g get a sim card -
http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchTariff?deviceType=SIM_ONLY_MBB&priceplan=&greatForServices=&manufacturerName=
They do monthly and 12 months prepaid.

[Edited on 7-11-14 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

britishtrident

posted on 7/11/14 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Check the coverage un their area first, since 4G came in the mobile phone companies aren't sharing their mast sites to the same extent and a lot of new black holes are appearing. EE seem to be the worst offenders former as Orange they used to have excellent 3g coverage but over the last couple of years they seem to be closing 3g masts as fast as they can.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

tul214

posted on 7/11/14 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
I have one of these

It is supplied by work but I thinks it's £15 per month and it's pretty good.

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

geoff shep

posted on 7/11/14 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't it be cheaper to buy them broadband?

David Jenkins

posted on 7/11/14 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Don't underestimate the amount of data that browsing consumes - just hopping around pages with a load of advertising can eat into your allowance. As said above - far better to pay for broadband, even if it's not the latest FTTC standard (Fibre To The Cabinet). Even broadband at 2 or 3 Mbs can be as fast as normal 3G, often faster.

Basic broadband can be cheap - have a look at PlusNet packages - also look at broadband plus phone packages, and you may even save some money there!

steve8274

posted on 7/11/14 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the responses. I am trying to do this on the cheap but want it useable for them.
Going to have a visit to PC world and give Virgin a ring to see what they say
They don't have a bt phone line so that limits the amount of broadband suppliers unfortunately

[Edited on 7/11/14 by steve8274]

JoelP

posted on 7/11/14 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
I find 3 have acceptable coverage. Their 3gb for 3months sim lasts well enough and costs 20 quid, so 7 a month. That's what I use in my tablet, if you get a portable hotspot it can connect other devices.

Edit: the reason I do that is that I don't have a home phone line, so Internet would be about 22 a month all in.

[Edited on 7/11/14 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

splitrivet

posted on 9/11/14 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Buy em a 3g Kindle, the 3g side is free gratis and for nothing, browsers in black and white which is a downer but if they take to it you can then get broadband laid on and they still have the kindle. Check coverage first though as trident says since the advent of 4g most mobile service has gone right to pot especially EE.
Talktalk basic TV, phone and broadband deal is loads cheaper than Virgin, if it goes tits up though your in for a whole world of hurt but thats quite rare.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

britishtrident

posted on 9/11/14 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
If they are with BT switch the phone to Plusnet with a broadband package may well work out cheaper than than BT for the phone line + equivalent call package.

[Edited on 9/11/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.