Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: best way to set up a new garage?
MikeR

posted on 25/11/14 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
best way to set up a new garage?

Hoping to move house in a couple of weeks and I get a 6mx6m double garage to myself (apart from a small space for a freezer).

So...... As everything from the single garage / sheds is going into storage I've got the opportunity to set this up exactly as I want it. What are peoples suggestions? The limitations are its got two 'single' garage doors at the front and an access door on the right hand wall next to the rear wall.

I'm thinking of having the freezer next to the access door on the right hand wall - so we can get in to it, get food out and leave without having to argue over the state of everything else. Fitting more lights than you can shake a stick at and putting some form of thin board painted white onto the roof battons to reduce draft / air volume for heating and increase light reflection. I'd like to increase the usability so need to figure out some form of insulation to the single skin walls (with those blasted double brick piers half way along each wall).

Mr Whippy

posted on 25/11/14 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Mind though unlike the house the garage should have normally a large flow of air through it from vents to deal with fumes and the large amount of water evaporated off a wet car, if your going to be welding that is even more important. If there isn't enough air flow then cars and steel will rust in there even if the garage seems quite dry.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 25/11/14 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
First job is to make sure it's very very secure, I made mine so that the large doors are bolted on the inside so access is only from the small door which can easily be beefed up.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Smoking Frog

posted on 25/11/14 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
No windows? They will give natural light and ventilation. Fuse box with earth trip for sockets. Good electric lighting, lots of power points and a smooth level floor. As mentioned don't overlook security, good locks and alarm etc. Try not to use it for storage, it's a slippery slope.
fesycresy

posted on 25/11/14 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Get that freezer out now, you'll need the room eventually, better to get it out of the way first

Mine is next to the door, its a fcuking nuisance.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

DW100

posted on 25/11/14 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
If the freezer is allowed in the garage, does that mean garage bits are allowed in the dishwasher?

You need good lighting, a clean floor, a decent work bench and make sure the electrics are safe.

[Edited on 25/11/14 by DW100]

mcerd1

posted on 25/11/14 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
don't forget to paint the floor (and walls) a nice light colour to reflect even more light and keep the dust to a minimum

-

nick205

posted on 25/11/14 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
A good music system is always high on my list, I like a bit of music or radio chat while I'm working. A line in for the iPad and WiFi coverage are also essential.

It sounds like the garage is detached in which case an intercomm might be useful..."brings us a fresh brew pet"...type of thing.

big_wasa

posted on 25/11/14 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
I am already packing my garage up for a move. Don't underestimate putting it into storage
steve m

posted on 25/11/14 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
if I was doing mine again I would buy an old kitchen off ebay, and have cupboards not shelving so neat and tidy

and more strip lights, !!

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

bi22le

posted on 25/11/14 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
if I was doing mine again I would buy an old kitchen off ebay, and have cupboards not shelving so neat and tidy

and more strip lights, !!

steve

thats what I am going to do. I am hoping for some cheap and must collect high gloss black or other funky colour. Then steel plate the top with a few layers of Chip or mdf underneath.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

spiderman

posted on 25/11/14 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
Build a shed next to the kitchen/back door for the freezer, also good for storing detritus wellies/bikes/etc.
"It's not so far for you to walk darling and perhaps one day we could build a utility room for you." You then get the garage all to yourself.

Spider

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.