Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Contact lenses?
Jon Ison

posted on 2/12/14 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Contact lenses?

Just started a trial today using them, so far do good quite impressed with the freedom from glasses they offer.

My question, daily disposable or monthlys?

What do users recommend, I'm thinking dailys are the best option for me but would like users opinions, looking forward to wearing a crash helmet and not having steamy glasses underneath

cs3tcr

posted on 2/12/14 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
I use monthly lenses. I found the daily ones too thin, which made removing them a little more difficult. Cost wise, I've never compared them, though I would hazard a guess that the daily ones are a bit pricier.

I can tell you that disposable lenses are way better than the non disposable ones I used to use. If a monthly one ever gives me some discomfort, it gets binned.

Rod

welderman

posted on 2/12/14 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
The mrs is a contact lens dispencing optician. I wear contacts occasionally if going out or skiing. They don't most up lol. Daily ones are fantastic.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

NigeEss

posted on 2/12/14 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
I wore monthlys for many years before switching to dailys. Found both to be comfortable, dailies thinner and easy to
tear but far better than all the cleaning malarky that goes with the monthly jobbies.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Slimy38

posted on 2/12/14 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
I started at 18 with six monthlies, with two lots of solutions and twenty minutes each morning and evening. What a ballache!! Especially as one was a strong bleach, the other was a neutralizer, and if you forget the neutralizer you spend the rest of the day with your eyes on fire!

As the prices have dropped I've reduced the interval, I'm now down to dailies. Having said that, I don't wear them every day anymore, so dailies suit me quite well. I can also keep a few pairs in my bag just in case something happens, I couldn't afford that with monthlies or similar.

I get mine online, but still have a Boots plan to do the checkups.

jacko

posted on 2/12/14 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I was told years ago that you must NOT weld with contact lenses fitted just a warning
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 2/12/14 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Had glasses, then contact lenses, and then laser treatment,... now that really was an eye-opener

What a difference, although I do find my self reaching for safety glasses when I used to rely on my prescription ones,...

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

cs3tcr

posted on 2/12/14 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
The welding bit is a myth, or so the American Welding Society and OSHA say.
Slimy38

posted on 2/12/14 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
I was told years ago that you must NOT weld with contact lenses fitted just a warning
Jacko

There's nothing in that (thankfully!), they proved it wrong. Although part of it has probably come from stupid people thinking that contact lenses are an adequate form of protection. These same people probably burn themselves on hot cups of coffee....

quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
Had glasses, then contact lenses, and then laser treatment,... now that really was an eye-opener

What a difference, although I do find my self reaching for safety glasses when I used to rely on my prescription ones,...

Have you had any issues with laser treatment? My friend had it done, and she gets frequent halo's when she's tired. A long day at work then seeing JJ Abrams best special effects on the drive home doesn't appeal to me much...

Paul AS

posted on 2/12/14 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Daily disposable silicone hydrogel is the way to go as a general piece of advice. They allow your eye to "breathe" more normally, they are less likely to dry out during wear, generally have less complications, and have longer wearing times before any discomfort kicks in.

Cost wise, for full time wear, a good traditional type daily disposable, costs between £22 - £25 per calendar month, with silicone hydrogel starting at £30 PCM. Not everyone can wear every lens type so your optician will advise you.

Trials are generally free.

All contact lens wearers need routine aftercare, with appointments generally between 6 and 24 months, depending on lens type, wearing schedule, etc etc.

The above are Specsavers costs. Anyone round Dewsbury or Batley way will be well looked after - by my teams. (''

[Edited on 2/12/14 by Paul AS]

HowardB

posted on 2/12/14 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Have you had any issues with laser treatment? My friend had it done, and she gets frequent halo's when she's tired. A long day at work then seeing JJ Abrams best special effects on the drive home doesn't appeal to me much...

the laser correction was the best thing that I have ever done
it wasn't cheap, it was done at Moorefields eye hospital in London, the consultant had done 17,000 operations beforehand and I woud recommend him to anyone,....

if you want more info, feel free to U2U,...

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Alfa145

posted on 2/12/14 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have two-weekly. Better than monthlies and not as expensive as the dailies for my prescription as I wear mine every day for a good 12 hours at least as I hate wearing my glasses.
Agriv8

posted on 2/12/14 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Dailys for me as I have stigmatism so can't use contacts for pc work unless I buy expensive ones.

So windows for work and contacts for everything else.

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

MP3C

posted on 3/12/14 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
I have been using daily disposable lenses (focus dailies) for around 8 years now and never had a problem. The only problem I get is in the evenings when I am very tired and I get quite dry eyes but usually this is around bed time anyway so has never been a problem.

Matt

Agriv8

posted on 3/12/14 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul AS
Daily disposable silicone hydrogel is the way to go as a general piece of advice. They allow your eye to "breathe" more normally, they are less likely to dry out during wear, generally have less complications, and have longer wearing times before any discomfort kicks in.

Cost wise, for full time wear, a good traditional type daily disposable, costs between £22 - £25 per calendar month, with silicone hydrogel starting at £30 PCM. Not everyone can wear every lens type so your optician will advise you.

Trials are generally free.

All contact lens wearers need routine aftercare, with appointments generally between 6 and 24 months, depending on lens type, wearing schedule, etc etc.

The above are Specsavers costs. Anyone round Dewsbury or Batley way will be well looked after - by my teams. (''

[Edited on 2/12/14 by Paul AS]

Paul do you cover Bradford as well ?

Specsaves own brand disposable for me used to be Bosh and Lomb rebranded/reboxed.

Now they are just bosh and lomb boxed. The ones made in Scotland are not quite as comfortable as the eu made ones. as I find they dry out a little quicker but still very good. Used to be stocked by Bradford but now they have to order in not a real problem just cant get down to my last pair !!

ATB agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Paul AS

posted on 3/12/14 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
I don't cover Bradford but I can get hold of your records if you U2U me your full personal details, and tell me whether you go to Darley Street, or Girlington. B&L are in the process of discontinuing a few of their older product lines, so for some people, forced changes are already afoot.

Paul

posted on 3/12/14 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
When I first met my mother in law to be I couldn't help noticing a deep mark across the bridge of her nose.

She said, "that mark that your staring at was caused by glasses my dear."

I said "why don't you try contact lenses"?

She said "they don't hold enough beer."

Paul G

Chris_Xtreme

posted on 3/12/14 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

the laser correction was the best thing that I have ever done
it wasn't cheap, it was done at Moorefields eye hospital in London, the consultant had done 17,000 operations beforehand and I woud recommend him to anyone,....

if you want more info, feel free to U2U,...

I had mine lasered at morefields too, tried to find the best guy for the job

http://www.moorfields-private.co.uk/Consultants/juliandstevens

agree not cheap ~4k, but you only get one set of eyes.

I was quietly told that women are more susceptible to side effects due to different hormones potentially coming into play, but they are not allowed to differentiate the stats on sex.

several years ago for me now, no probs and still as good as the day it was done.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.