Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sat Nav - difference between QI traffic & tom tom traffic
russbost

posted on 3/12/14 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Sat Nav - difference between QI traffic & tom tom traffic

Looking to buy a new Sat Nav - b4 someone suggests it, no I don't want to use my smartphone for all sorts of reasons - what is the difference between QI traffic (which seems to be available quite cheaply from loads of manufacturers) & Tom Tom traffic. Also is there a difference with units that talk about connecting to your smartphone?

Basically what I want is the same functionality that you have with the Android smartphone app that gives you live traffic updates, but with traffic scameras database & I want it to be a standalone unit - NOT using the phone as a screen

I know some people on here don't like Tom Tom, I currently have an old Garmin Nuvi which I think is rubbish & I've heard loads of people say how good Garmin are, so I guess some of that is personal taste! Particularly I don't want to buy something that is goping to be out of date by next year!

Thanx in advance

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
loggyboy

posted on 3/12/14 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Honestly - and without meaning to annoy, why are you against the phone? or even a 2nd dedicated phone.
Standalone satnavs will soon be obsolete (IMO). The reason being, is to be constantly updated you need to be connected. A phone is not only connected to the network, but the network is connected to millions of phones, all are sending details of their location, and most of the smartphones are sending GPS accurate locations, that means they know where the traffic is pretty much everywhere. You get that and instant maps updates as part of your phone contract/payments.
Sat navs may have similar systems (i dont know if they do) or they have to use gantry detectors in certain locations, or buy data off other people, which means if you want that access to that data you pay for it, but its likely to be less accurate.

Mistral Motorsport

russbost

posted on 3/12/14 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't particularly want to get into this having already read similar posts, but for a start I've never seen camera locations on a phone (there may be an app but not seen one). Secondly my phone battery will run down very quickly, thirdly on a recent trip from Essex to the Midlands with 6 different phones in the car not one of us could get a data connection (3G) simply because it was heavily overcast - I've never had a satnav lose signal except in a tunnel! Thirdly I don't know if there is a screen fitting type cradle that would fit my phone (it's not a regular make, presumably there is probably a universal cradle). I have a bluetooth connection so I can take phone calls in the car bluetoothed through the car radio - no idea if having GPS maps etc on would affect this, but could be interesting if she starts reading me instructions through the radio whilst trying to talk to someone! - need I go on?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Ben_Copeland

posted on 3/12/14 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Waze app for smartphone (sorry yes I know)

Does traffic, cameras etc. the most up to date maps, traffic etc. far far better than my tomtom which is a professional one that links into the vehicles tracker and provides traffic as well as spying on me. Can turn off sound if you don't want it talking to you whilst on hands free.

Only needs a signal if your searching for a new location. Once it's found you don't need a 3G signal unless your monitoring traffic.

The tomtom traffic is ok probably better than most and it uses vodaphone phones to monitor traffic throughout the country. But if the servers busy or it doesn't have a signal is useless for traffic.

[Edited on 3/12/14 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

britishtrident

posted on 3/12/14 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
The QI features Stephen Fry's voice breaking into convulsive giggling if you want directions to Gaydon.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mac1ZR

posted on 3/12/14 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Just bought a Tomtom XL with free lifetime updates, cost £79, Brilliant satnav, its no trauma doing the updates, and its much better than my Iphone
russbost

posted on 3/12/14 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
I meant IQ not QI Doh!

orton1966

posted on 4/12/14 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
I've always gone for Tom toms, even though I've got an iPhone, I just like the whole standalone device principle!

Even though I've almost never bothered with updating, I've rarely had an issue, as we've built very few new roads and changes tend to be straightening or duelling, of existing roard. so it's obvious what's going on. This summer i did Malaga to Nottingham, nonstop 1500+ miles on a 5 year old, non updated Tom Tom, it picked up every speed camera and I had no go-wrongs 23 hours door to door inc the ferry!

ianm67

posted on 4/12/14 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a TomTomXL500 (?) about a year ago. Huge screen, free lifetime map updates and a simple Bluetooth connection to my phone provides me with live traffic updates and the TomTom will offer to reroute if heavy traffic is affecting the current route. What's not to like?

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

JC

posted on 4/12/14 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a Garmin (can't remember the model) but it gets it's traffic through DAB radio - no subscription, free for life and gets updates more often than the phone signal based units.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 4/12/14 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Just for anyone who may be interested I have managed to find out exactly what is different between IQ routes & Tom Tom traffic. IQ routes uses real time data from past journeys to look at different routes depending on day of the week, time of day etc. so takes stuff like traffic lights, school run, rush hour traffic, roundabouts into consideration & may recommend different routes at different time of day, (unlike my old Garmin which despite being set for fastest route, NOT shortest route, will still route me thro' the centre of London if it gets the slightest chance!) but it's not actually live traffic, so won't "see" a holdup or accident. Tom Tom Traffic & other similar by Garmin etc. do actually have live data so should, I emphasize should! avoid major snarlups b4 you get stuck in them.

The RDS based systems I have used b4 simply don't appear to be accurate, I've sat in stationary traffic whilst being told route is clear & driven along at 70mph when told there are major holdups, not a lot of help!

I do seem to be reading a lot of horror stories about Tom Toms not accepting updates & then throwing a wobbly - perhaps I should investigate something like Waze or Copilot for the phone after all - why doesn't anybody make a "Ronseal" sat nav???

Thanx for the input guys

David Jenkins

posted on 4/12/14 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
When I was in Australia I tried using my phone as a satnav - I found that in built-up areas around Sydney it couldn't get my location accurately enough to give sensible directions. For example, if I was driving down a main street it would give directions from a side street, or a road that ran parallel to where I was. This was stressful when I was trying to get to the airport to fly home! To get a half-decent GPS signal I had to have the phone on a windscreen mount, but then it got far too hot due to (1) being on all the time, and (2) Australian winter sun beating down on it.

On the next trip I bought a cheap Navman GPS unit that gave me good directions (including pictures of tricky junctions) and coped with being attached to the windscreen. That cost me around £55 - I would have taken my old Garmin, but they wanted £125 for an Australian map update! But that's a totally different rant...

Which reminds me - whichever GPS unit you look at, check out the cost of map updates. Garmin are outrageous, TomTop not too bad, but others like Navman offer free updates if you buy the right package initially. I know phone nav packages always have free and up-to-date maps, but you do have to pay data charges instead.

DanG

posted on 4/12/14 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
I have a tomtom (forget what model exactly) and use the tomtom traffic.

I think the tomtom traffic information is great. It has helped me on several occasions. Sometimes avoiding huge traffic hold ups. The tomtom picks them up way in advance and your re-route can then begin way ahead of any hold up.

Don't forget though that tomtom traffic is a subscription service - think you get 12 months free when you purchase a new tomtom.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.