Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MSA Rollcage/bar rules
orton1966

posted on 15/12/14 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
MSA Rollcage/bar rules

Are there any MSA scrutineers out there?

I need to define the roll hoop on an open top LMP style car, I'm working on, but not sure how much flexibility there is from the diagrams in the blue book. Basically, according to the diagram, it should be a single hoop, with at least one diagonal cross brace and two forward running braces. The diagram shows the verticals as...vertical. Like this picture of the AB Sabre (pic below)

Whilst, I actually prefer the style of those cars, where the verticals actually angle in. Like the Spire (pic below)

The long and short question is, if I do the cage, as per the Spire, is it MSA compliant or is it only possible to deviate from the diagrams, if you're an approved roll cage manufacturer or the design has been in some way tested and certified.

Thanks in advance, for any help!

jeffw

posted on 15/12/14 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Build it like the diagram or you have to have it approved by the MSA. I'm sure Andy or the Procomp guys will be along to add detail to that.

orton1966

posted on 16/12/14 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
More Confusion!

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Build it like the diagram or you have to have it approved by the MSA. I'm sure Andy or the Procomp guys will be along to add detail to that.

See, that's what I thought but check out these two pictures from the Spire website!

The first picture shows two cars with the verticals, clearly angled in and noticeable kinks in the forward facing supports. However even these two cages are different, one has a single diagonal, the other two diagonal braces.

Then, this next photo, shows two cars in the foreground with their verticals more...vertical and straight forward running supports.

So either: They've had a rap on their knuckles and reverted to the diagram.

or

Had, at least, three designs approved.

or

They or one of their suppliers, can self certify.

or

They all pass scrutineering

or, finally, the scrutineers haven't picked up on it

Andy B

posted on 17/12/14 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Just spotted you post - basically it is fairly straight forward despite being laid out a little poorly in the book - build to the exact spec using the approved configurations, mandatory elements and material spec as laid down in the blue book and you have a protection system compliant for events run under MSA regulation. Change the design, material spec or need FIA approval and you are going down the certification route or purchasing a compliant system from a supplier.
Hope that helps
Andy

speedystew

posted on 18/12/14 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by orton1966
Are there any MSA scrutineers out there?

I need to define the roll hoop on an open top LMP style car, I'm working on, but not sure how much flexibility there is from the diagrams in the blue book. Basically, according to the diagram, it should be a single hoop, with at least one diagonal cross brace and two forward running braces. The diagram shows the verticals as...vertical. Like this picture of the AB Sabre (pic below)

Whilst, I actually prefer the style of those cars, where the verticals actually angle in. Like the Spire (pic below)

The long and short question is, if I do the cage, as per the Spire, is it MSA compliant or is it only possible to deviate from the diagrams, if you're an approved roll cage manufacturer or the design has been in some way tested and certified.

Thanks in advance, for any help!

I think the car behind (in bottom pic )could be one of my mates, steve robbo in the genesis ?? anyone

duratec,it's so last year

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.