Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wheel Adapters - Min Thickness?

posted on 21/12/14 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Wheel Adapters - Min Thickness?

Completely non kit-car related, about as far from it infact!

I'd like to put different wheels on my daily (1600kg Volvo V70 2.5 TDi) but the Volvo wheel choice is shocking, nad I have a stack of Speedline Turini alloys here, and also a soft spot for Merc alloys

Now I'm happy enough to make my own adapters, but I don't want to add much thickness as otherwise I'm going to have to modify both wings and rear arches to suit.

Was thinking of using steel, maybe 12mm thick and using studs. threaded ones would be nice, could then have both 5x112 and 5x114.3 machined in and be able to use either, but could do counterbored press-in studs.

I understand however that for threads, minimum thickness should be 1.5xdiameter, which would be 19mm for a threaded stud!

bit of a general engineering question really as to what would be the most suitable

Any thoughts?

thanks!

orton1966

posted on 21/12/14 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
If you have access to the engineering equipment to make the spacers, wouldn't it be easier/safer to machine the existing wheel hubs to take studs or bolts at a different pcd.
mark chandler

posted on 21/12/14 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
25mm is pretty much the standard using shallow headed bolts.

Early series landrovers used threaded studs, shocking things I expect most will have a bead of weld around them to keep them in place or have splined top hat stubs hammered through them, I would say 19mm with a recess for a stud like this would be fine in steel.

Regards MarkeBay Item

bart

posted on 21/12/14 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
a few solutions
1) re machine your hubs to take the different stud pattern then make ctr bore adapter rings , leave old holes so can be converted back.
2) if using captive headed studs in a small pocket at the back , I cant see why as an engineer 12 mm would not be adequate
you could use c/s cap heads to bolt to face
3) as mentioned by someone else machine wheels , with ctr bore adapters if possible

come to think about it , my fiesta rear hubs are only 10mm and they are unsupported , so having pondered whilst shopping , I recon you could design well under 10mm
juts need the depth of c/s of Allen c/s screw
make the new stud holes near to the old so no bending moments in the plate . I recon 8mm
[Edited on 21/12/14 by bart]

[Edited on 21/12/14 by bart]

BE ALERT > BRITAIN NEEDS LERTS

Slimy38

posted on 21/12/14 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
As a comparison, my MX5 OEM hubs with press in studs are only 9mm thick!! Obviously that's only for 4 studs though.

posted on 21/12/14 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
re-machining hubs isn't happening as I need the car every day!
my initial thought was to buy a spare hub and do them one by one but they're a full assembly and over £100 each!

sounds mostly promising, just trying to find some studs with a smallish head and not too much
something like these perhaps
Ford Competition Metric M12 x 1.5mm 63mm wheel stud 25mm longer x 16
Would prefer the threaded type, but assume they won't have enough thread depth

drew up the adapters anyway

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.