Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vag 20v turbo engine RWD?
FlansS14

posted on 29/12/14 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
I knew I had these somewhere......

I looked into the Vag 1.8T before deciding the Nissan option was cheaper and better IMO.

Flan

[Edited on 29/12/14 by FlansS14]

Why didn't i just make it simple!

femster87

posted on 29/12/14 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
speak to this guy

CMW Snake Audi 20v turbo top spec 360bhp kit car not caterham westfield swap px

FlansS14

posted on 29/12/14 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
WOW That's UGLY!! 360BHP with that turbo... It must be about to go BOOM, Mind you the valves or rods will go before it

Slimy38

posted on 29/12/14 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Slightly off topic, but I found this pic of a custom bellhousing, and the work really appealed to me...

wylliezx9r

posted on 29/12/14 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FlansS14
WOW That's UGLY!! 360BHP with that turbo... It must be about to go BOOM, Mind you the valves or rods will go before it

Don't get your critiscm ? Why is it about to go boom ?

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

chris-g

posted on 29/12/14 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Slightly off topic, but I found this pic of a custom bellhousing, and the work really appealed to me...

Thats a beauty, tasty welding.

FlansS14

posted on 30/12/14 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
quote:
Originally posted by FlansS14

Don't get your critiscm ? Why is it about to go boom ?

360 bhp with a stock manifold is unheard of, and hybrids have a habit of blowing apart as they are not designed to take such power.
To get 360 bhp from these engines with reliability you need a good manifold with an IHI VF30 or bigger, even a Garret GT28RS. Also people think these engines are built proof. Well the A4 is not as strong as a TT (BAM) lump to start and even BAM lumps over 300bhp are advised to fit updated rods and valves.

IMO Unless that guy has missed off lots of spec details, your buying a ticking time bomb.

FlansS14

posted on 30/12/14 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
That steel bell housing is a work of Art!!

We built a bell housing to convert a ford 1.6 sigma to a type 9. Just need an old FWD box and cut of all the crap, find a suitable RWD box with the same size clutch plate.

The measure your nose length, weld a base plate and get it machined back.

It sounds simple... But it's not, 1mm out would knacker the box/bearings.

Also need to find a box with removable bell housing, type 9 just would not take the power

coyoteboy

posted on 30/12/14 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
I have an 01E FWD trans axle (not 4wd, not disabled either) and this is what I'm bolting to my audi ABZ V8. I may have a hole layout somewhere but I think you're looking elsewhere as you're wanting front engine rwd. Some things to note if you do find a 4wd box to disable the fronts, the rear output internals may not be sized to take the torque alone.

FlansS14

posted on 30/12/14 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
There is a chap called Scoff that runs EFI Tuning. He makes bellhousing convertions from Renault 172/182 engines to Golf 02j/02m Boxes. This is the same bolt pattern. He has the diagrams if you go down that route

i_froloshki

posted on 1/1/15 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Where is this guy, where can i send him the question?
i_froloshki

posted on 5/1/15 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Gents, can anybody give a parts lits for this conversion from 1.8T to Mt75 - flywheel, clutch, starter motor etc?
Thanks
yavor

i_froloshki

posted on 22/1/15 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Well... i have to go to the familiar zetec option then....
i_froloshki

posted on 31/5/20 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
We are on the way to make the adapter plate from 1.8T engine to MT75. I am not sure how much it will be, still waiting for the CNC offer, but i will let you know, so if you need one - post me a U2u so we can make a bulk order and reduce the price.
Regards
Yavor

ettore bugatti

posted on 31/5/20 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Has http://www.rwdmotorsport.com/bellhousings.html been mentioned before?
i_froloshki

posted on 31/5/20 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yeees, but mt75 doesn't have a bellhousing so no options... Here in Bulgaria is a bit difficult to find t5, so mt75 is the best option for rwd. Well, bmw is also available, but the book is ford based so....
i_froloshki

posted on 1/6/20 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
CAD (cardboard aid design) mock up of the adapter plate. I managed to source the drawings of the Mt75 and VAG 1.8T bolt pattern for the gearbox side, we checked them and we send it for real CAD drawings. We had to rotate 8 degrees the engine to avoid 2 bolt holes partial match, but the engine is rotated a bit anyways, so i hope it will be ok. We will use Audi A4 1.9 TDI 90HP solid flywheel and pressure plate (228mm) and a ford friction plate (still windering which one). The starter will be on the engine side, goes below the turbo, probably will be also 1.9 TDI audi/vw.

[img] VAG 1.8T to MT75 plate mock up
VAG 1.8T to MT75 plate mock up
[/img]

Al3xG

posted on 1/6/20 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
I'm swapping my Westfield with the 1.8T engine, you can find all the info I've got here: http://locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/9/viewthread.php?tid=215914
My car has already got a Type9 gearbox so I'm going to use the RWD Motorsport bellhousing. The MT75 is generally cheaper but gear ratio are awful for our cars, first gear is very short and second gear pretty long instead. The T9 can be rebuilt with a variety of gear ratios that better suit our lightweight cars (but they don't come cheaper unfortunately).

i_froloshki

posted on 1/6/20 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, yes, i have read your build. The MT75 is not very convenient, but with my first car we have played with the diff ratio (4.17 scorpio) and it was ok.
As i mentioned the MT75 is available here, so i have no choice.

Al3xG

posted on 1/6/20 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by i_froloshki
Hi, yes, i have read your build. The MT75 is not very convenient, but with my first car we have played with the diff ratio (4.17 scorpio) and it was ok.
As i mentioned the MT75 is available here, so i have no choice.

Oh absolutely. As I said, I'm going to use the T9 because that's what my car is already running, so I can avoid a ton of chassis mods and just change the bellhousing and bolt up the engine.
The MT75 is still used on a number of Seven with the VAG engine, look for HKT on Youtube
I think even Donkervoort used it in the past with the 1.8T, but I may be wrong

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.