Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Building a barn door
Benzine

posted on 9/1/15 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Building a barn door

I've been offered use of a farm building, it used to have a wooden door but that fell to bits. I need to make a new door for it. Widest point of the frame is 9 foot, 8 foot at tallest point. All around the frame are large RSJs so I can bolt/weld to those.

What kind of steel would you use? One piece or two piece door? I was thinking of building a frame from box steel (green lines in photoshop pic) 1 or 2"? then skin it with sheet steel. I was going to make it one big door with a smaller access door (red lines on pic). What kind of hinges are suitable and how many to use?

Doesn't have to look pretty, just needs to be sturdy and #locost

Thanks for any help

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
monkeyarms

posted on 9/1/15 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
I would have it in two parts, split in the middle. Nice and simple not too heavy to handle.

Smallish angle iron 30 or 40 mm x 4mm thk frame, skinned with sheet steel/ply whatever you can scrounge up.

Hinges, 3 or 4 per side, depending on size available

[Edited on 9/1/15 by monkeyarms]

blakep82

posted on 9/1/15 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
i would say split in the middle, 2" x 2" frame (or 1" with plenty of triangulation?), and skin with wood. Ply, or tongue and groove, or slats like the rest. all steel will be heavy and expensive

was going to message you actually, was in the marina for stuff, the guy in the shop, who ive never seen before is swedish, asked me if i'd seen this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BjI1lG2q4A

i was telling him about your amazon

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mark chandler

posted on 9/1/15 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
I would do as you propose, although would rivit ali or zinc played steel to 1.5" box
coozer

posted on 9/1/15 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Room for a sliding door?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

ste

posted on 9/1/15 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
If you make the door look like fort knox it will invite pikeys to think there's something of value in there and they will do what they did to my barn and just pull a few planks off the side to get in. It doesn't need to be any more secure than the rest of the walls so a timber frame with shuttering ply would do the job.
Smoking Frog

posted on 9/1/15 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
I would use 1" box section with 1" T&G boarding to skin the frame or ply. Fix the boarding from the inside with screws through the box section or better still, weld some tabs onto the box section with elongated holes (not needed if ply) to allow for movement in the timber. Maybe also use a none setting adhesive like tiger seal. Don't have any steel close to the ground as these doors will drop once hung and timber is easier to cut than steel. So keep the bottom rail 6" above the ground. I would split the opening into two with the left door 3' the other 6'. Consider running a timber across the top to keep the opening rectangular. You will need at least 3 hinges maybe 4 for the bigger door. Heavy duty hinges are available or fabricate some yourself.
philw

posted on 9/1/15 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you square it off and use a roller shutter?

Must try harder

Benzine

posted on 9/1/15 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions! Lots of different options to think about so far I actually think it'll be cheaper to do the door in steel, there's a metal yard down the road where I can get scrap steel for a really good price and they have a great selection. Cost of new wood is pretty shocking!

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BjI1lG2q4A

i was telling him about your amazon

Yeah seen that before Beast of a car. My amazon is going to absolutely pwn that car*

*at mpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.