Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: APNR cameras
02GF74

posted on 25/1/15 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
APNR cameras

Sort of car related.

Just out of curiousity I took a look at GoogleMaps APNR camera map and was surprised to see so few on motorways.

Is the map accurate - I mean have you seen a camera that is not on the map?

I am sure I see more, but I may be mistaking them with speed cameras.

talkingcars

posted on 25/1/15 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
All the cameras in the variable speed limit areas are APNR.
Slimy38

posted on 25/1/15 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
I'm assuming these are ANPR cameras looking for illegal cars, rather than ones looking for speeding?

I'm 99% sure the ANPR cameras used as speed cameras also have the ability to record all number plates, so yes there is a whole load of cameras that aren't listed as specific ANPR ones. For example, all the ones that deal with Congestion Charging also check the number plate against known databases and flag warnings if required, even if the offending vehicle has paid their charge.

I am also fairly sure that most petrol stations also contain ANPR cameras now, so unless you can run on something other than petrol or diesel chances are you'll get caught on those too!

[Edited on 25/1/15 by Slimy38]

CosKev3

posted on 25/1/15 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Not all ANPR cameras are on maps,pretty obvious why really,as criminals would just avoid the locations on there drugs runs!

ANPR cameras are great imo,as any low life scum driving around with no insurance etc needs taking off the road.

talkingcars

posted on 25/1/15 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
A lot of car parks have them now, even our local council use them. So do most airports and the car parks around Wembley.

I believe all the new cameras that sprouted next to speed cameras are for no mot or tax detection.

Also on the back of all overhead matrix signs or the motorways are APNR cameras and they use data from that to post the X miles to the next junction in X minutes info.

jossey

posted on 25/1/15 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Ye Its not accurate.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWallace

posted on 25/1/15 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
On a related issue, how accurate are the average speed limit cameras that you get in road works on motorways? I know that there has to be a reasonable margin for error in single fixed cameras, but a set of average speed cameras several miles apart could work out that you were a fraction of a mph over the limit if they wanted to.

I'm not advocating speeding if you're going to put any workers at risk, but I'm sick of cruising at exactly 50mph through mile after mile of road works with no sign of anyone doing anything. In particular there is a set on the M1 that go from just north of Nottingham to the M18 junction that are about 20 miles long and typically there are about 5 people working on one part of it!

[Edited on 25/1/15 by SteveWallace]

JoelP

posted on 25/1/15 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
On a related issue, how accurate are the average speed limit cameras that you get in road works on motorways? I know that there has to be a reasonable margin for error in single fixed cameras, but a set of average speed cameras several miles apart could work out that you were a fraction of a mph over the limit if they wanted to.

I'm not advocating speeding if you're going to put any workers at risk, but I'm sick of cruising at exactly 50mph through mile after mile of road works with no sign of anyone doing anything. In particular there is a set on the M1 that go from just north of Nottingham to the M18 junction that are about 20 miles long and typically there are about 5 people working on one part of it!

[Edited on 25/1/15 by SteveWallace]

I aim for a constant 60 though the 50s, and if I've been held up then I do more and try to estimate the average. Never had a ticket yet. Obviously if there's workers or heavy traffic then maybe just 55.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Slimy38

posted on 25/1/15 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
They are always extremely accurate, they have to be in order to secure a conviction. It's not a case where they can 'let things slide' just because the distances involve allow tolerance, they still need to ensure things are spot on. The 'margin for error' is based on a car speedo lack of accuracy, not the camera itself.

That 'margin for error' is (from last 'rumour' I heard) was 10% + 5mph.

JoelP

posted on 25/1/15 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
10%+2mph was my understanding of the guidelines. Ie in a 50 zone you can receive a ticket from 58 upwards. When gps says in doing 58, the speedo reads 62, hence why I picked 60.

Fwiw I only brake to 45 for a 40mph speed camera. Again, no flash so far.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

coozer

posted on 25/1/15 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
If everyone stuck to the speed limits there wouldn't be any need for cameras. What's wrong with obeying speed limits??

When I'm coming up to the roadworks I check my GPS and set the speed to match the 50mph limit. And what pisses me off is cars sitting in the middle doing 45 and the ones that blow there horns at me when I pass at spot on 50.

All the motorway services have anpr cameras to check you don't overstay your visit, and the government have them all over the motorways to track movements of vehicles. Most obvious ones I've spotted are on the M69 on the way into Coventry.

Seen a few programs on the disco channels where they used the cameras to place cars of serial killers... So, I'm sure they used for more covert purposes.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.