Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sump baffles
Matt21

posted on 25/1/15 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Sump baffles

After chopping and shortening the sump for my cbr900, I've decided to add a few baffles to prevent all the oil sloshing away from where I want it.

My question is, how do I decide where to put them?

I can add vertical plates that have cut outs along the bottom like this:

or add a 'lid' to the sump with just a cut out for the oil pick up and return to go through, which will prevent the oil from sloshing right up the sides during cornering/braking/accelerating, like so:

with the second option, can anyone give me an idea of how to fastened that plate on? I'd like to not have to weld it into the sump as that will make a few things a bit awkward! yet I dont really want it sandwiched between the sump and block as that will add more depth (i know just a few mm, but I want as much clearance as I can get).

can anyone suggest which would be better or any other options?

Thanks

[Edited on 25/1/15 by Matt21]

Matt21

posted on 25/1/15 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Here is the first option, near enough, but to me it looks like oil will struggle to flow into the pick up area quick enough ( I assume oil gets pump pretty quickly?)

and here is a rough idea of the second idea, makes it a bit clearer (but with only one of the smaller holes for the oil return)

ReMan

posted on 25/1/15 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.abperformance.co.uk/products.aspx?cat=12

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Matt21

posted on 25/1/15 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
shows the same image as I posted above (that one said it was for a gsxr600 though), any idea what the other three smaller holes are for?
mark chandler

posted on 25/1/15 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Vertical plates are not always useful as they can keep the oil away.

On mine I chopped down the standard sump putting the drain on the side, shortening the pickup and bypass valve to suit.

For the baffle got a bit of 16 gauge ali and cut to suit, where engine bits poked through cut smaller holes than the lumps and pressed the middle to size so have downward pointing lips in the baffle holes. These serve two purposes to stop oil sloshing back up and prevent cracks forming between the holes.

I have also fitted an accusump for good measure, I have hammered the car on slicks without any oil starvation issues, the only costs being the accusump and having the joining pipe made up.

Regards Mark

Matt21

posted on 25/1/15 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
so effectively you have the baffle plate above, with the cut outs were still attached and facing down into the sump?
Matt21

posted on 27/1/15 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
any other ideas?
mark chandler

posted on 27/1/15 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt21
so effectively you have the baffle plate above, with the cut outs were still attached and facing down into the sump?

Yes, the lip is about 1/2" downwards, acts like a dog travelling bowl so does not impede oil going down, it stops oil sloshing back up. I just pressed out using sockets for the small holes and dressed the big hole over the strainer down with a hammer.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.