Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mid corner lockup =
proretro

posted on 25/1/15 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
mid corner lockup =

mid corner lockup = me smashing my front left wheel into the kerb, chewed up the alloy pretty good but that easily replaced\referred. However it's the geometry that's not 100% right. First of all its wen driving straight the steering wheel is about 30 degrees to the right (but it does not feel like its pulling to every side when driving in a straight line)

after getting the car back into the garage last night, i checked the whish bones and coilovers from damage, at first glances damage is not so obvious, no fractures to welding , no splitting to the metal but the top mounting point for the damper has moved back slightly

i can't tell how much damage has truly been caused, but as we all no, if your out by a mm or two might as well be out by a mile so.... ???? Is there any text book way to check this or thinking to book it in at pro comp?
thanks Scott

adithorp

posted on 25/1/15 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Wheel not straight is a classic sign of something having bent/moved; Wouldn't need to be much.

Most likely is the track rod or TR-end but could be the rack itself or it's mounting or the wishbones or brackets... or a combination. If a visual check doesn't show something obvious then an alignment check will be needed (ultimately it'll need doing anyway).

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

proretro

posted on 25/1/15 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks
so ill take it for an alignment check at my local garage asap, but if it is lets say the mounting from the wishbone, is it a case of taking the nose cone of and rewarding?

adithorp

posted on 25/1/15 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
You probably need the nose off just to give it a thorough visual check.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

proretro

posted on 25/1/15 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
Is this something that procomp could rectify???
AdrianH

posted on 25/1/15 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure on your mnr, but when I did a similar thing on my Haynes, it took me a while to find where my steering error was, but when I did find it, it was obvious.
So here goes, check the brackets that the steering rack is mounted to, check if you have bent the bracket up or down at one side, i.e the side your went into the curb with.

If so could be quite simple to remove steering rack, bend flat and reinforce with some more metal strip.

Adrian

[Edited on 25-1-15 by AdrianH]

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

proretro

posted on 25/1/15 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Tanks Adrian, i would of over looked the steering rack brackets so that going on the check list
coozer

posted on 25/1/15 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
When I hit the kerb in my MNR it bent the bottom wishbone.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

proretro

posted on 25/1/15 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Is your MNR an outboard as well, How bad was it bent and was there any more damage?
coozer

posted on 25/1/15 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, outboard dampers, the wishbone was like a banana. I ran over a mid island and it burst both the front and rear tyres and smashed the wheels!

Needed new wheels and tyres and a pair or bottom wishbones.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

gremlin1234

posted on 25/1/15 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
when driving straight the steering wheel is about 30 degrees to the right (but it does not feel like its pulling to every side when driving in a straight line)
most likely the steering rack has been pushed across about 8mm (plus the damage to tyre/wheel/wishbones etc)

bigfoot4616

posted on 26/1/15 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
not saying it wont have moved the rack but shouldn't something else give first? when i put my striker into the tyre barrier at cadwell last october the steering arm on the upright bent(along with the wishbone). luckily mine are RS2000 uprights with bolt on arms so was an easy fix.

if the rack has moved maybe the rack mounts aren't strong enough? other parts are to strong? i know on certain race cars they have a weak point in the track rod so that bends before other damage can be done.

as you're going to need it aligning anyway i would just take it to procomp as it is, they should be able to sort it no problem and you will benefit from them setting it up afterwards. i take it your not to far from them anyway.

proretro

posted on 26/1/15 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Correct, procomp isn't to far, about 30 to 40 min and was going to take it there anyway (badly set up anyway)
but i should mention the steering wheel has not move across but rotated.
and yes, i would say something else would give first?
I'm going to try and upload sum pictures wen i get back tonight
tanks lad's

bigfoot4616

posted on 27/1/15 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
wish i was that close to them. they did a really good job of setting mine up last time but as so much has changed on the car it really needs doing again.
proretro

posted on 27/1/15 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I've Seen a few threads on hear saying what a difference a good setup is, and even before this it was pretty bad. I had no confidence to push it hard, its Got it all.... Bump steer , bit of under steer, squirming alot under breaking and at speed the front moves around alot .
i was going to get it on the dyno at PDQ but i think the time and money is better spent at procomp

would you agree??

perksy

posted on 27/1/15 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Getting a good set up is the best money you will ever spend, There's no point in anybody spending loads of money on upgrades to make the car faster if it won't handle properly or go where you point it.....

Take it to Procomp, the lads there will work wonders and it will be so much nicer to drive

proretro

posted on 27/1/15 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
I guess thats what our cars are all about, power to weight and ultimate handling and yes, i find myself asking whats the point having the power without the handling
ill be giving Matt and Ivan a call and hopefully get myself booked in

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.