Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Third pary Warranty Companies
jeffw

posted on 26/1/15 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Third pary Warranty Companies

look to get my new (to me) 11 plate Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDv8 covered under a warranty. I've got quotes from Warrantywise and Warranty Direct but I wondered if anyone has any experience with these companies or any recommendations.

theconrodkid

posted on 26/1/15 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
as a garage owner i have had experience with waranty direct in the past,they were in my eyes a con,the would never answer the phone to make a claim and always wormed their way out of paying for a claim,the only time i ever got them to pay was when the owner threatened to take them to court...i suspect the others are much the same.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

adithorp

posted on 26/1/15 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
In my experience, I've yet to see a warranty company that didn't write the policy in such a way as they couldn't wriggle out of paying up for virtually any job. I refuse to take on work where I'd rely on the warranty Co' paying up.

The only one I've seen regularly pay out without quibble, is the AA repair cover. Amazingly cheap as well.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

jollygreengiant

posted on 26/1/15 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
I don't work in garages any more, but when I did, I didn't have a very good opinion of them. I all ways used to tell people that they would cover you provided the car broke down SUDDENLY if a mechanical item broke, providing it wasn't due to "fair wear and tear". Usually rubber items and electrical wiring is also not covered (read the small print VERY carefully). Worst case of it I came across was a Granada/Scorpio 2.0l Ghia that we used to service. Customer had ONLY had it 3 - 4 months when the engine stopped. Vehicle was 80k mileage (approx). The timing chain had broken so we contacted the "insurance " company. Our instructions were to strip the engine and then call them again. When we did two days later, they then sent an engineer out (another two days). He walked in looked at it for two minutes max and declared it to be "fair wear and tear" and NOT covered. They would not even cover the remove and strip down. The customer HAD to payout to have the car stripped, storage and eventual removal of a car that they could no longer drive. They were not happy bunnies. The original seller of the vehicle refused to do ANYTHING because they had taken out insurance. The block and engine could not be rebuilt because the chain had cracked the front main bearing cap which was not replaceable.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Slimy38

posted on 26/1/15 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Go to http://www.reliabilityindex.com/, find your car. Have a look at the most common problems, and the typical cost of fixing. Then set up a bank account to receive that amount of money every 12 months (or so). That can then be your warranty.
DW100

posted on 26/1/15 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, same feeling re doing work for warranty companies here. Normally sold to you so the company selling the car avoids liability. Look carefully at wording, many have a maximum claim of not more than £250, they won't pay for anything they consider consumables(i.e. oils, filters, cambelts, gaskets etc.) or any diagnosis or anything that happened on a day ending in "ay".
adithorp

posted on 26/1/15 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Never had an issue with THIS though. Find the problem, phone up for clearance, fix and then either AA pays up or customer pays and claims it back. Been surprised by some of the things they've paid for.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 26/1/15 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Guy at work uses the AA insurance cover all the time for his aging Astra. But I believe there is quite a low value tho.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

jeffw

posted on 26/1/15 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
£500 limit...thanks for the advice, confirms what I was thinking.

on_eighty_runner

posted on 26/1/15 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Got a mapfre warranty from a main dealer as supplied with the car
Wording included
Diagnosis of fault cost were not included
Manufacturing defects excluded
Wear and tear excluded or reached the end of the parts life.
( I cannot think of any failure that is not a defect or a part that's worn out! When a parts broken it is at the end of its life!)

Did get a gearbox replaced but took legal action to get it through.

Don't bother with claiming small things but be prepared for a fight when it comes to a bigger claim.
Follow the claims procedure to the letter and don't do it by phone
Emails or fax with read receipts support you later.

Enjoy the car you can always get used parts if you need them.
Only live once

perksy

posted on 26/1/15 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Mate has 10 plate Rangerover TDV6 and I told him to make sure he took out an extended warranty when he bought.

He bought his through the Landrover dealer and no doubt it was expensive, But then they have paid out over £600 already...

02GF74

posted on 26/1/15 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Dont these warrantees exclude labour, which usually is far more expensive than the parts?

adithorp

posted on 26/1/15 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Dont these warrantees exclude labour, which usually is far more expensive than the parts?

Never seen a parts only warranty. They've all theoretically included labour.

obfripper

posted on 27/1/15 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
The sales dept at work uses Autoprotect, the gold cover is up to vehicle value, with no excess applicable, diagnosis is not covered.
The usual fair wear and tear clauses do apply, but they do pay out on legit claims pretty well so long as the right terminology is used during the claims process.
I have rebuilt engines on their cover however, they are pretty tight on the labour side, and do not cover things which are best engineering practice, ie replacing a clutch when a dual mass flywheel fails, but do cover fluids, oils and cam/drivebelts where required as part of a repair.
They do require a good level of service history +/- 1month 1000miles of every interval as due, but will take your money without seeing this, only to bring it up in the event of a claim.
I would think a twin turbo diesel 4x4 would be around £299+VAT for a years cover, as they add 50% for turbos and 50% for 4x4, i dont know how that figures against other companies.
If you know someone who deals with autoprotect, they may be able to give a preferential rate to the website, we do find their sales team do contact customers at the end of their warranty with renewal rates approching double the original premium.
Just fyi the only performance cars they cover are Porsche, any mention of tvr, lotus or any kitcar gets a swift NO!

Dave

02GF74

posted on 28/1/15 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74

Never seen a parts only warranty. They've all theoretically included labour.

Ok. Times may have changed. I had one when i bought vauxhall cavalier, oohh way back and wasnt covered for labour when the valve stem seals needed doing.... or there wad a max limit/excess . Been put off them ever since.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.