Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuse box wiring
locoboy

posted on 2/2/15 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Fuse box wiring

Fellas I'm putting in the fuse box in the camper van for running the interior lights and some usb/ciggy lighter sockets along with the eberspasher heater.

Iv'e bought a fuse box that does not have a single common positive feed, am I right in thinking I can just stick a positive from the leisure battery to one of the terminals on one side of the box and just piggy back to the next, next and next etc to make the whole of that side of the fuse box +12v, then with the appropriate fuse I can run out to the component? Its been a while since I wired anything on a vehicle!

Do I need a fuse between my leisure battery and the fuse box, that sounds like fusing a fuse to me but thought I'd ask!

Cheers
Col

ATB
Locoboy

CosKev3

posted on 2/2/15 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
The positives will be fine like that, just makesure the cable from battery is big enough to run everythng.

How long is cable run from battery to fuse box?

Depending on cable size I would have a midi or mega fuse holder as close to battery as possible

locoboy

posted on 3/2/15 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
Hi the box is about 6 inches, 12 maximum from the battery.
Any ideas on fuse ratings for the main battery fuse then?

ATB
Locoboy

tegwin

posted on 3/2/15 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
The fuse between battery and fusebox is designed to protect the cable... So if you have a 20A cable then your fuse must be LESS than 20A and so forth so the fuse melts before the cable does.

Work from the start....

Write a list of everything you want to connect to the fuse box and what max current they will draw. Select appropriate fuse and wire sizes for those circuits.

Then add all of the currents together to give you a maximum useage, that will tell you what size cable you need between fusebox and battery.

Don't forget that your earth system must be of at least equal size to the live side Easy to forget.

[Edited on 3/2/15 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.