posted on 26/2/15 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Wanted! corner weight scales

Anything in reasonable condition, central processor not B&Q etc

[Edited on 26/2/15 by theprisioner]

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

ianhurley20

posted on 26/2/15 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I've made a scale from a 2 ton bottle jack - drilled at the bottom into the pressure area and tapped to screw in a 0 - 1000psi gauge. In my case read off the pressure multiply by 0.7 and it gives you the weight its carrying in pounds. Cost was £8.50 for the bottle jack and around £3 for the gauge off ebay. You can make 4 for very little if you really need them. Google will show videos on how its done with better instructions than mine. Diameter of the piston in the jack is critical in calculating the exact load. Obviously mine is limited to 700lbs but a 0 1500 psi gauge would increase that figure if you need it.

Credit where its due - not my original idea but prompted by someone on the Haynes Forum -Stot

v8kid

posted on 26/2/15 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
I've made a scale from a 2 ton bottle jack - drilled at the bottom into the pressure area and tapped to screw in a 0 - 1000psi gauge. In my case read off the pressure multiply by 0.7 and it gives you the weight its carrying in pounds. Cost was £8.50 for the bottle jack and around £3 for the gauge off ebay. You can make 4 for very little if you really need them. Google will show videos on how its done with better instructions than mine. Diameter of the piston in the jack is critical in calculating the exact load. Obviously mine is limited to 700lbs but a 0 1500 psi gauge would increase that figure if you need it.

Credit where its due - not my original idea but prompted by someone on the Haynes Forum -Stot

To be effective you need less than 1% error I don't know what gagues you are using but I would be pleasantly surprised if they we were better than 5%.

c
Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ianhurley20

posted on 27/2/15 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
I am sure you are right about accuracy V8kid, it will depend on the quality of gauge used. With mine its the cheapest 63mm dial gauge on ebay. However as the gauges are analogue they would be easy to compare deflection and get pressures on each wheel matched.
Mine is simply to have a means of saying what my roadster weighs with low cost.

This was one of the videos that I found to explain the procedure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBmxkWK_OFA

Ian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.