Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: External house insulation
JoelP

posted on 26/2/15 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
External house insulation

I'm refurbing a house at the min that has no cavities, and the render outside looks a mess. To kill 2 birds with one stone in thinking of getting it insulated outside and rendered. Anyone had this done, care to tell me how much, or even better done it themselves? It seems pretty straight forward.

Any input gratefully received. Cheers!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

HowardB

posted on 26/2/15 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
the council has contractors doing their houses here at a phenomenal rate, I would say that they are adding about 3" of insulation, and then it has a coating to look like redbrick.

the key issues are widow sills, down and soil pipes, meter boxes and vents. Also the eaves need to be sufficient, sadly not the case on my single brick house,...

No idea on cost, but it seems that 4 blokes do a house in a day,...

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

ianhurley20

posted on 26/2/15 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
They have changed the grant system, last year 8k was possible but this year my daughters 3 bed end terrace is quoted at 10 k to do it with max grant being about 4k.
I helped the brother in law add 50mm internal Kingspan insulation to a couple of rooms and then dot and dabbed plasterboard on top. Its made an incredible difference to the house and can be done one room at a time. Its probably the one I would go for with insulation from Seconds and Co to save money

Angel Acevedo

posted on 27/2/15 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Just a thought....
Couldn´t you commission the job during hot monts...
Maybe then would be cheaper as business may be slower ...

Just from somebody from a place that insulation is some kind of a myth...

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fishywick

posted on 27/2/15 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
As above, the most difficult bit is where the insulation adjoins the eaves and barges, window cills etc. Not too difficult on an ex council semi but more difficult on anything else.

Some of the finishes are also susceptible to damage, ie. thin render over what are basically polystyrene/foam boards.

There are plenty of contractors doing housing association stock but very few doing private stuff.

JoelP

posted on 1/3/15 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your input people. I've had one company quote £8.5k, but another quote coming in Monday should be a lot cheaper. The third benefit of this is that whilst the scaffolding is up, I can change the roof!

kj

posted on 1/3/15 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
I ran a project in hunslet and Northumberland doing this and for warranty you have to follow fixing pattern and adhesive.
I know a lad in Leeds who might be able to quote for you he was working for me on the project and is self employed

Think about it, think about it again and then do it.

JoelP

posted on 1/3/15 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers kj. I'd be interested in a quote from him, can you either have a word or u2u his number? If he wants to do a guesstimate, the house is a semi, 5m wide, 10m deep and 5m high. Cheers!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.