Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Land Rover Engine 2.4 or 2.2
andyw7de

posted on 26/2/15 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Which Land Rover Engine 2.4 or 2.2

Hopefully the vast knowledge on here may be able to give some advice regarding engine choice.

I have been looking into buying a new-ish Land Rover 90 defender. There seems to have been an engine change circa 2011/12 from the 2.4 engine to a 2.2 engine.

Is it worth the bit extra for the 2.2 engine?

The reason I ask is that there are some nice low mileage 90's with the 2.4 engine and lots of extras for decent money or there are some good deals on pre registered new-ish 90's with the newer engine.

I have had many older landies over the years but have lost track of engine developments. I do really fancy getting another one, just want the best value for money.

Cheers

Andy

Speed is just a question of money !

How fast do you want to go ?

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 27/2/15 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
The 2.2's have power output very similar to the 2.4's, and there's not much in it (I've driven both). These are both Ford engines typically found in Transits, and referred to as Puma models.

After the 200 & 300TDi engines with no ECU's, they introduced the BMW 5-cylinder engine referred to as the TD5 (go figure). This was quite a nice driveable engine by all accounts, nice power output and plenty of easy tuning to be done if you wanted a bit more poke out of it. If you're not using it for wading or heavy off-roading (ECU location didn't like the elements!), then it seems to be the engine of choice.

But it's the typical "horses for causes" approach, and everyone will tell you differently. I've just rebuilt my 300TDi Defender 90, and wouldn't go for a new one - mostly because I can fix it with a spanner/screwdriver/hammer combo, and I'm not a fan of the lack of leg room in newer models due to deeper dash layout, and the fact it's a 4wd Tranny....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

SteveWalker

posted on 27/2/15 at 12:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie_Zetec
After the 200 & 300TDi engines with no ECU's, they introduced the BMW 5-cylinder engine referred to as the TD5 (go figure).

Wasn't the TD5 the last Rover/Landrover engine? I'm sure it was intended to be produced in four and six cylinder versions as well, but BMWs entry to the scene meant that only the five cylinder versions went into production and BMW engines took the 4 and 6 cylinder roles.

NigeEss

posted on 27/2/15 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Storey I heard was when BMW took over they told LR to cease development of new four and six pots
as BMW already had them. So LR in a 'stuff you' attitude developed the TD5.

Could be an urban myth though.

[Edited on 27/2/15 by NigeEss]

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

avagolen

posted on 27/2/15 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
2.2 - no go. I know of a landy with it and it is on its 3rd. Oil pump problem. When it goes - it goes.

As far as I know, the 2.2 is derived from the 2.4, but somehow they got something wrong.....

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.