Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: traffic lights question
bart

posted on 3/3/15 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
traffic lights question

ok this is a bit odd but its a question that has always bugged me .
normal traffic lights with an extra turn right filter light on the side .
so I know you can turn right when the filter light is on.
but can you legally if the road is clear turn right if just the green light is on but the filter is not .
ive done it I have even seen a police car do it , but is it legal ?

and just to add another question
if the filter light is on a separate lane ( big junction ) if it is legal to turn on "straight ahead green" is it still legal on a filter lane

yes I know I should know but I have asked 2 driving instructors and two traffic police officers all gave conflicting answers .

BE ALERT > BRITAIN NEEDS LERTS

coozer

posted on 3/3/15 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Yes its ok. The only time you can't is if the filter lane has its own separate set of lights.

Have you read the highway code or passed your test?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

bart

posted on 3/3/15 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
err yes long long ago in a galaxy far away !
and apparently the police were not sure either ! at least the two a asked !

Ben_Copeland

posted on 3/3/15 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the green light covers both but obviously you have to wait till oncoming traffic has cleared (if the lights work that way)

Only time it doesn't apply is if there is a separate lane for turning right and separate set of lights.

If you sat at a green light in London and didn't turn your have some very angry people behind you and probably end up being driven into lol

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

bart

posted on 3/3/15 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
LOL ! never have just sat there , always turned , just wondered if I was legal doing it ,
i'm a "plastic northerner" as they call me , i'm originally from London worked near tower bridge for 5 years,
then moved north to Bedfordshire , then Coventry then Manchester , I recon if I live that long in 20 years ill be in the far north of Scotland !
could not work in London now I like the peace and quite " up tut north" far nicer pace of life ! and the TEA is better

steve m

posted on 3/3/15 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Its a really cool question, as we have a set like that local to us, and I always turn right on the green, if its clear, or wait for the right green arrow if not

and ive always wondered if ...................

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Dusty

posted on 3/3/15 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Plymouth has a lot of right filter arrows on lights. Sometimes the green for straight ahead is an arrow also, sometimes just a round light. I've always taken it as a round green is go including turn right if the right arrow housing is just an add-on single green arrow. Some have a full set of red/orange/green for turn right and I obey the red. These style lights can have a straight on round green or a straight on arrow.
OliilO

posted on 3/3/15 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
I believe that you can turn off the main route with the green filter arrow or the main green light in the example below.

But in the following example, only turn off the main route (right) when the specific right turn light shows.

theduck

posted on 3/3/15 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OliilO
I believe that you can turn off the main route with the green filter arrow or the main green light in the example below.

But in the following example, only turn off the main route (right) when the specific right turn light shows.

Beaten me to it.

stevebubs

posted on 4/3/15 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OliilO

yup...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.